dorado50

Well-Known "Member"
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
Old School... more about the hunt than the kill...find your own fish... a good fisherman is a leader not a follower. Unfortunately theres no law against being stupid...so be patient and understanding.:rofl:

ambush1

Swagger Lures,
Jul 24, 2006
lakewood
Name
brett bumz
Boat
23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
Ok I have owned a boat for well over 12 years and I have never witnessed a 21 footer packed with 8 anglers. For you to assume that they don't speak english, you are stariotyping or you are just ignorant. If you had an experience like that on one occasion then do not say that it is "USUALLY THE 21 FOOTER WITH 8 PEOPLE ON BOARD and don't speak english".

Remember that BDs now has a spanish forum and you may be isulting our friends down south with your comments. Or are you assuming they spoke a different language.
well its true i see it all time in lbc. Boats packed full with 90% of the time being asian, mexican, and so forth. We are not being racist when its the truth. Not saying that dumb rich white kids in dads boat do the same which they do. But when it is a number game to them (idiots) they see 5-6 people on the boat means they can get more fish. Regardless of race people will pack there boat full. My buddy has a 18' klammath. It says it will fish 6. Any more than 2 its a cluster fuck. people dont get it. This is the best post on Bloody Decks All year. Every private boater need to read this. These boards are to help you find fish, not pull out of the harbor and ask "where's the sport boats" its bullshit. If you where a contractor can i walk in to your office and ask to see all your bids to clients and thier contact info, because i cant find any project leads. ou would tell me to get the fuck out of your office. its the same thing you are taking business away from them who worked for it

Markus great post one day i will shake your hand once we meet

Reel 007

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Eyes wide open, I just went thru all 103 reply to this post, Know what I notice, 90% of the reply' s supporting this captain right to decide who is deserving and who is not are not boat owners. SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REEL 007 out.

Markus

Apr 7, 2004
Cardiff
Name
Markus Medk
Boat
New Lo-An
Reel Hip, I have no problem with some protecting their bite or chum line, I take exception to some of the OP statements and imprecations, 20% of private boaters are dumb,'and don't run over their lines unless they deserve it'. who gave him the right to decide who is deserving and who is not, the resources belong to us all and is the responsible of all of us to protect it, there are a number of members on this board who anoint a few and think they can say no wrong or do wrong.
I didn't say that 20% of private boaters are are dumb. I said that 20% are screwing up their fellow anglers, and I attribute that to the fact that about 10% don't know any better and don't realize when they are ruining someone else's bite. The other 10% don't seem to care one way or the other (you may run into these kind of people anywhere, on a yacht, skiff, sportboat, or on the freeway).

I primarily addressed my post to the people who were not aware that they were screwing other peoples days up.

The only lines I run over are if someone fishes first on top of me. I never start anything, but if you cut my lines off, cut my fish off, or motor around on top of my lines expect to loose some line. To me, it is the same as someone spitting in your face, and without some sort of response you will be turned into a doormat. There is no reason I should ever be able to reach your lines with a jig or when I leave a stop.

If you never look back and wonder "do I have to clear this line out of my outdrive", or "I wonder if I cut that fish off?", you have nothing to worry about.

Like I said, It's not my ocean, but it is not yours either. If we are going to fish in the same area we may as well do it as amicably as possible.

I'm not asking for much, just a little common sense and courtesy. We all do this for fun (myself included). Getting into needless confrontations on the fishing grounds takes all the fun out of it.

-Markus

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras

Like I said, It's not my ocean, but it is not yours either. If we are going to fish in the same area we may as well do it as amicably as possible.

I'm not asking for much, just a little common sense and courtesy. We all do this for fun (myself included). Getting into needless confrontations on the fishing grounds takes all the fun out of it.

-Markus
:appl:

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Markus.... it goes back to my first response. He just doesn't get it. As a boat owner (going on 34 yrs) I have met my fair share, I am sure I may have pissed off a few too. You have way more to loose than I and it's unfortunate than a few could ruin it for the others. Good luck out there! You and all of us that own the ocean will need it. 007 Do you know sarcasm when you read it?

Jul 4, 2006
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
17.5' Seaswirl c/c
OK....devils advocate time....

Most guys don't wake up one day and think, "I want to take up saltwater fishing, buy my own boat, tons of expensive gear, a case of beer and go for it !"

Rather, (here's some projection) they start out on a sportboat or a buddy's skiff and imediatly get imersed into the culture of KILL KILL KILL, PARTY PARTY PARTY !!!

The first thing a newb sees on a sportboat is a sign-in sheet where they can keep track of how many beers and burgers they consume.

The second thing they see on any sportboat is a gunny sack, (read kill bag).

They may witness aggessive behavior from the captain and crew towards other boats on some occasions as Spike said in his reply.

They may get caught up in going beer for beer with their good bro who just got his first skiff..... etc. etc. etc.

My point is these behaviors are LEARNED from others, which gives validation to the behaviors themselves. "I saw my beer and tequilla bro drive over that WFO paddy and fuck all those assholes that were hooked up".....or...."That skipper on the ....was cool, he didn't say shit when guys started throwing iron at that asshat private boat !!! He even yelled at that skiff over the P.A. Bahaha !!!"

Add your own experiences here.....

Now add to the above attitude the intentional dumbing down of our society at large, the relentless attacks on social graces by pop culture and media and viola...a recipe for Markus's post.

Until the culture at the landings and launch ramps change, until someone in the industry steps up (expect a beating at first) we will be forced to deal with what we've dealt ourselves.

It's the responsibility of us the 80% to bring much needed change to our sport.

Damn, do you really believe the world is coming to an end in 2012?

Good or bad it's just fishing.

skifisher

Jan 9, 2007
So Cal
Name
Paul
Boat
Skipjack 24FB
Markus, as most have said, great post with great info. Maybe your post should be anchored as "offshore fishing: Rules of engagment"

Licensing might help a little, but look at the freeways. Same idiots out there, I dont think it would change much.

jwalker

Apr 25, 2006
OC and Boston
www.meltontackle.com
Name
Capt. Johnny Walker
Boat
all sizes, makes and models
Self Policing is the only way to attempt to deal with knuckleheads like this.
Whenever someone witnesses this action, snap as many photos as possible with boat name and CG numbers and hopefully close-ups of the individuals. Then post them all over BD and any site you can think of calling them out. Most don't and will not care less but some may be ridiculed enough to figure it out

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
arent we supposed to blame Bush when shit goes wrong like this????? LOL

just a joke dont get angry mods haha

Its amazing to see the opinions here and also the amount of posts that talk about how many people are out there now off So cal...it sounds like its a different ocean than a decade ago...And as much as I wanted to drag my little tug boat out to the 302 43 and 181 etc...Im now heavily considering No CAl or Oregon for Albacore next summer even though I love the darker red meat species...who knows

havin fun

Aug 9, 2007
fallbrook
Name
scott parker
Boat
26 stripper seaswirl havin fun
Very well said. I love any info that can be helpful in catching more fish. I have seen many private boaters charge in on a kelp paddy that I have found and ruin it. or run over my soaked lines, I BELIEVE IN KARMA.

nickk

Jan 23, 2007
CA
Name
Thang
Boat
none
well its true i see it all time in lbc. Boats packed full with 90% of the time being asian, mexican, and so forth. We are not being racist when its the truth. Not saying that dumb rich white kids in dads boat do the same which they do. But when it is a number game to them (idiots) they see 5-6 people on the boat means they can get more fish. Regardless of race people will pack there boat full. My buddy has a 18' klammath. It says it will fish 6. Any more than 2 its a cluster fuck. people dont get it. This is the best post on Bloody Decks All year. Every private boater need to read this. These boards are to help you find fish, not pull out of the harbor and ask "where's the sport boats" its bullshit. If you where a contractor can i walk in to your office and ask to see all your bids to clients and thier contact info, because i cant find any project leads. ou would tell me to get the fuck out of your office. its the same thing you are taking business away from them who worked for it

Markus great post one day i will shake your hand once we meet
Who the FUCK do you think you are? It is their choice to pack as much as they want, as long as they are not violating coast guard rules and regulations.

Indulgence

May 17, 2003
commoniwannalayya
Visit site
Name
Joe
Boat
NONE!!!
this is a great post. Thank you for taking the time to explain the fishing situation that we are all struggling with. However, I think a lot of the uncivil behavior is just because folks are a little desperate to scratch up something for their $200 in gas, $50 in bait, etc.

The only defense I'd make of us private boat owners is that I have often notice sporties doing exactly what they get so pissed at others for doing. Respect works both ways.
Amen. Markus, you have to admit that there are sportie captains that go too far. Case in point. A couple years ago, we were out by the 'Fly here comes grey light in less than flat conditions, and we get hooked up a 1/2 mile from the fleet. next thing i see is a sportie chasing me down! Then the asshole gets on the loudspeaker and tells the peeps on board that we were the bad guys!!! Then starts to shadow EVERY move i make! complete utter ASSHOLE!

Jig Wiggler

May 18, 2006
Oceanside
Name
Big E
Boat
26' BLACKMAN "REEL NASTY"
20 + years since I have fished the Lo-Ann, but it looks like she is in wise hands. Attention to all current and future PB OWNERS, if you are not into, and excited about using your own knowledege to find YOUR OWN FISH, and look forward to the HUNT using your know how, you have gathered through the years, YOU TRULEY HAVE NO REASON TO PURCHASE A BOAT other than the fact you may the money. Monkey see Monkey do anglers are a dime a dozen and never understand the joys of being boat owner
That is the reason I have my own boat. There is no better feeling then finding your own fish. Un fortunately with that latest bite, the bulk of the fish were holding tight in a relatively small area you get 100 + boats floating in a 10 mile area that have been choping at the bit to pull on some tuna for months, some tend to do what ever they think is necesary to put fish on the boat. If I'm out burning fuel I want to cath fish as much as the next guy but I will not try to set up in an area where it would affect another boat that was there before me. I would rather go home empty than screw up some one's bite.

Fish Lounge

Sep 15, 2003
San Diego
Name
Bo
Boat
23' Sea Fox WA Fish Lounge
I agree totally, too many beginners without a clue, and then there are those that just don't care about anybody but themselves. Let's hope at least some read your post and learn about fishing Etiquette.

Cory, yes and no. I've heard some of the same foul mouthed idiots out there for years. This brings up the point 26 grumpy brought up about behaviors learned. There seems to be this tough ass machismo mindset on the ocean. It's like the more you can be a bad ass the better fisherman you are. Sure there are many out there that are clueless and for those I say you just try to deal with them and educate them. But there also seems to be a large number of those who think they are bad assess and everyone else is an idiot. They often stir the pot. Some of these guys have been around for a long time.

neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
Oct 9, 2004
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
Chris
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Thanks Marcus - well said and also very informative. I've seen private boats do dumb stuff and also can name a couple of commercial guys who don't give a damn about boating etiquette. It's always the few that spoil it for the many.

Status
Not open for further replies.