clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Ok, now that local party boats have bluefin tuna within range of Orange County to San Diego coast, how are the party boats preserving the freshness of these valuable bluefins tunas being caught?

I don't know of any 3/4 day party boats that have cold fish boxes. Some may have one or two kill bags but that's pretty limited as to what can be held in them. Are the boat captains allowing the tuna to be bled and gutted on deck? I have already seen some pretty toasted bluefins coming back from the party boats. It's a real shame.

What's your experience out there?

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat
    Never
    The only 3/4 day boat that has a brine spray hold is the Pursuit out of 22nd I’ve seen the Native Son with this giant blue mystery box no other LA/ OC boats have fish holds

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

Fathomx

Old Guy
    Jan 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Wrapper
    Boat
    It's gone
    I have the same concerns, but on a short notice I took my son and his friend out on the Arha-Ahn over the weekend and the BF caught went into one of the bait tanks (seemed to work better than the sack)...yes they only filled one of their tanks with bait, hence we ran out. After they were filleted, they went into a cooler with no cover and 3" of water in it in the sun for the ~3hr ride home...eeiish. I took my fillets and threw them in my lunch cooler which I had a couple of frozen water bottles in, if not I would have brought home mush. Bluefin and sun don't mix.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Ok, now that local party boats have bluefin tuna within range of Orange County to San Diego coast, how are the party boats preserving the freshness of these valuable bluefins tunas being caught?

I don't know of any 3/4 day party boats that have cold fish boxes. Some may have one or two kill bags but that's pretty limited as to what can be held in them. Are the boat captains allowing the tuna to be bled and gutted on deck? I have already seen some pretty toasted bluefins coming back from the party boats. It's a real shame.

All the San Diego boats that I ride, San Diego, Mission Belle, Liberty, have RSW (refrigerated seawater) to preserve the catch.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Matt_Q

Captain
    Nov 8, 2014
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Dream time
    Hey guys, yes that is correct AFTCO developed a personal kill bag to bring on boats that don't have an RSW system. The bag will go in place of your standard sack and is insulated. It has been field tested by our team as well as the boats out of Dana Wharf and is proven to hold ice for the day (Obviously dependent on weather) .

dctalk523
    dctalk523
    ETA on when the bag comes out? Thanks
    Matt_Q
    Matt_Q
    Ill post an eta once we iron out the rest of the logistics
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Paying half day/ three quarter day prices.... and demanding Overnight Boat amenities. Can't have both... so for $60 you get the burlap bag. Any questions.... talk to the landing / skipper. The same thing happens when you catch a BFT on the pier.....lol.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Fathomx

Old Guy
    Jan 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Wrapper
    Boat
    It's gone

I just started a thread of the local overnight and 3/4 day boats that have RSW or an Ice Hold type of system. I listed only the boats that I know of and am hoping others can add to the list

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Hey guys, yes that is correct AFTCO developed a personal kill bag to bring on boats that don't have an RSW system. The bag will go in place of your standard sack and is insulated. It has been field tested by our team as well as the boats out of Dana Wharf and is proven to hold ice for the day (Obviously dependent on weather) .
    Seems like a problem to get ice to put in those bags though,the boat wont have enough so what do you do bring your own ice?

Reactions: Matt_Q
    Matt_Q
    Matt_Q
    For the most part yes you have to bring your own ice depending on the boat and the capacity of their ice maker etc.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Fathomx

Old Guy
    Jan 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Wrapper
    Boat
    It's gone

I could not find the AFTCO gunny sack style kill bag, but I did call Reliable to see if they had one and they told me they toyed around with the idea in the past, but the profitability was not there. He was considering it again since then and may make a trial run, I told him ill be first in line.

Reactions: dctalk523

Matt_Q

Captain
    Nov 8, 2014
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Dream time
    Here's a proto

Proto.JPG

Upvote 0