Local 1/2 & 3/4 day bluefin

Dozer217

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
What “extra” outfit do the slippers want to see? I usually don’t bring anything heavier that 40lb on these trips

Rmpsocal

Almost A Member
Jan 12, 2016
San Pedro
Name
Rich P.
Boat
None
I was at Catalina today on the Pursuit out of San Pedro. We didn’t see any Bluefin today, but they have been running into foamers. I was talking with the deckhand and he recommended something to throw a Coltsniper and/or surface iron. I brought a Trinidad 20 with 40# for surface iron (which I usually bring anyways) and a Fathom 40 2-speed with 50# to throw a Coltsniper.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Jeff Hannah
Upvote 0

Jeff Hannah

HALIMOTO
Sep 9, 2016
Hb
Name
Jeff
Boat
Play the Red
For popper stickbaits surface iron etc I start with 60 min Floro abrasion etc lately they will eat the 80 just as good with less to worry about only rod length with 65 braid so your only casting the braid... it been working for me Trinidad Tesoro or equivalent with a nice UC or seeker jig rod wahoo etc

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    My next-door neighbor went out on a half-day out of LA/LB expecting the usual small bass/small rockfish/sculpin trip, maybe a flurry of barracuda, and after getting onto the boat the skipper tells them that they are going to be chasing bluefin. Of course it was a futile several hours, completely uncooperative fish and unprepared fishermen. He was NOT happy.

I get that the captains and landings want to trumpet the glory fish, but in reality there are a whole lot of fishermen who DON'T want to target big tuna. An expensive and boring boat ride is not what turns a lot of fishermen on.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    The words half-day and bluefin on a cattle boat just sound like a terrible idea. 50+ people (a lot of them inexperienced) just sounds like heartbreak city.

Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    The words half-day and bluefin on a cattle boat just sound like a terrible idea. 50+ people (a lot of them inexperienced) just sounds like heartbreak city.
    I'd agree and unfortunately the landings have gone back to full loads with limited load prices.

gettingbentwithbo
    gettingbentwithbo
    We all knew that would happen. The loads start increasing but the prices stay the same. The problem is people are paying it, so why lower?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0