jaw1970

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Left Davies about 5pm after getting off work. Crossing was slightly choppy, thanks to the mild Santa Ana. Arrived a little after sunset, getting dark quick now. Would have like to arrived a little earlier and set up in daylight, but in the end it didn't matter. Found a nice stretch of coast and dropped our 8 hoops. First pull was the best I've ever had. One net had 6, a couple had 5, and I think all other had 2. Turned out to be 12 legals in the first set. Now were pumped! With visions of our first limit, we reset. Not as good, but we probably got 4 legals. Kept working it as we were determined to get limits. Started getting pestered by seals and things slowed down after about 9pm. After 10ish we were only getting 1 legal per set. Got our limit just before midnight and decided to head for home in the dark. First time making the crossing in the dark.

Attachments

jaw1970

Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Forgot to say, weather was awesome. T-shirts and shorts until we got back in. Had to put jackets on when we got back in Long Beach Harbor.
Caught at least 25 shorts.

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Congrats on your first limits, sounds like you had to work a little for them.

Do you have radar? Be carefull on night crossings, especially after we start getting some rain, lots of floating logs etc that will ruin your night.

I personally wont cross at night anymore unless I have to, we just usually do some hooping untill we get limits then park it for the night. makes the trip a little more enjoyable.

jaw1970

Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Thanks. I wasn't planning on coming home until morning, but it was so clear last night, almost looked like we could swim back. Glad we didn't have to.

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dog Beach Mostly
Name
Mike
Boat
Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
Glad you got some ! The really good nights I've had were comming home and the horizon disappears between swells, cold as fuck and nobody at the launch ramp, soon....very soon ! :hali_olutta:

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
When you have some free time would you mind posting a pic of your float/ropeholder? Looking for some ideas, I'm wanting to upgrade from my 1 gallon jug floats. Thanks and keep it up with these good island reports!

jaw1970

Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
When you have some free time would you mind posting a pic of your float/ropeholder? Looking for some ideas, I'm wanting to upgrade from my 1 gallon jug floats. Thanks and keep it up with these good island reports!
Here ya go...

Attachments

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Very nice,one sweet trip,really like your hoop set ups,very clean organized looking,those kind of details always pay off!

Cya Tuna Vic

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
Thanks for the pics! I just picked up a set of the same lights. About how much of the float sticks up above the water surface? Also, did you ballast them or does the weight of the rope take care of that? Thanks again,nice setup.

jaw1970

Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
thanks for this info what is the top cross peace for ,and how do u get pvc all the way thru ?
Its a "t" fitting, the piece of pipe does not got all the way through. The top "cross piece" is for grabbing with a boat hook, which is what we use to retrieve them.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice,one sweet trip,really like your hoop set ups,very clean organized looking,those kind of details always pay off!

Cya Tuna Vic
Thank you

jaw1970

Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Thanks for the pics! I just picked up a set of the same lights. About how much of the float sticks up above the water surface? Also, did you ballast them or does the weight of the rope take care of that? Thanks again,nice setup.
The LED light sticks are way better than the chemical ones. We had a piece of steel in the PVC pipe. Otherwise the line makes it float sideways or lay flat on the water. We experimented by dropping in swimming pool first. Also, the tubes are capped off, trapping air inside.

- - - Updated - - -

How deep were you hooping?
30'-50'

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
Ahh, forgot about the rope's bouyancy. Thanks for the input, i've got a million honey-doos goin right now but new float setup is on my list. Ill get a pic or two out there whenever I get to. Thanks for the info