Lobstering in Catalina

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
OC, CA
Name
jonas domkus
Boat
Catalina 30
Hey guys, I’ve only done it a couple of times. I have three hoop nets, and just fished last night. I am using the black pipe bait cages. I used cans of salmon cat food and some canned mackerel I found at the dollar store.
I set my traps in 75-80 feet of water outside of emerald bay just out from Indian rock.
first soak was an hour and pulled up two little bugs and one keeper.
Added more bait to traps and soaked another 45 min, this time nothing.
let soak another hour and pulled up three more non keepers.
Other stuff pulled up:
Sea urchins, ocean hermit crabs (or something that looks like that) and kelp.
Sometimes I would notice the bait cages pretty empty and sometimes not. It didn’t seem there was any correlation to there being lobsters in the net. Are 1 hour intervals about right for this sort of thing?
is my success rate about right?

Upvote 0

C-4 Fishing

Feb 4, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Kayak
If ur gonna go the distance and spend the time and fuel leave the canned crap at home and for ur house cat.

Buy some salmon heads at an Asian market or some bait at the bait barge to stuff in the cages. Also get to Cat early and try to make bait there to supplement what you brought.

Reactions: bman440440
Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Invest in the gear or don’t go way out to Cat, you’ll waste your time and effort instead of maximizing it

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
OC, CA
Name
jonas domkus
Boat
Catalina 30
Invest in the gear or don’t go way out to Cat, you’ll waste your time and effort instead of maximizing it

You should know that I’m a sailboat and am going to Cat regardless all the time because I like to spend time there.

I also like fishing. I’ve mastered fishing for sheepshead and bonito. I’d like to get better at catching calico/sand bass.
I also just discovered lobstering. I’d like to be able to do it and have relative success for the effort. In Emerald you can drop about 200 feet or so just outside Indian rock. The cove is curved and the limit is 1000 feet from any shore. The rock doesn’t count. This was verified by fish and game when I asked them.
I just stayed in 4th of July cove against the rock wall and tried dropping right off my boat. Used only real bait, salmon head, Mack, shrimp, anchovies buffet. Caught nothing but hermits and a big sheep crab. Bait was barely touched.
At least in my spot at emerald I pulled up 5 shorts and one legal. Mostly cat food and some Mack.
Is there anywhere in the or around the coves and moorings in two harbors that should be a reasonably successful spot?

Reactions: konared
Upvote 0

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
You should know that I’m a sailboat and am going to Cat regardless all the time because I like to spend time there.

I also like fishing. I’ve mastered fishing for sheepshead and bonito. I’d like to get better at catching calico/sand bass.
I also just discovered lobstering. I’d like to be able to do it and have relative success for the effort. In Emerald you can drop about 200 feet or so just outside Indian rock. The cove is curved and the limit is 1000 feet from any shore. The rock doesn’t count. This was verified by fish and game when I asked them.
I just stayed in 4th of July cove against the rock wall and tried dropping right off my boat. Used only real bait, salmon head, Mack, shrimp, anchovies buffet. Caught nothing but hermits and a big sheep crab. Bait was barely touched.
At least in my spot at emerald I pulled up 5 shorts and one legal. Mostly cat food and some Mack.
Is there anywhere in the or around the coves and moorings in two harbors that should be a reasonably successful spot?
In the harbor i avoid because I always took it as illegal to hoop, and as an FYI, Lobster hooping is illegal between March like 15th and the first week of October...

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
OC, CA
Name
jonas domkus
Boat
Catalina 30
In the harbor i avoid because I always took it as illegal to hoop, and as an FYI, Lobster hooping is illegal between March like 15th and the first week of October...
The isthmus is not actually a harbor like Avalon or any other city harbor is. So It doesn’t have the same rules or regulations. Aside from any specific rules around the moorings, it is technically not considered a harbor. This is direct from the isthmus harbor dept.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
The isthmus is not actually a harbor like Avalon or any other city harbor is. So It doesn’t have the same rules or regulations. Aside from any specific rules around the moorings, it is technically not considered a harbor. This is direct from the isthmus harbor dept.
I understand that but there are still MlPA zones you have to watch out for and that whole area is covered in them so I’ve found it best just to avoid that area

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
OC, CA
Name
jonas domkus
Boat
Catalina 30
I understand that but there are still MlPA zones you have to watch out for and that whole area is covered in them so I’ve found it best just to avoid that area
I know where the zones are. The corner of cherry cove lion head starts the 1000 foot MPA zone. And from bird rock east is the MIPA zone. So I’m pointing out that the ENTIRE isthmus cove area, 4th of July and Cherry are all in the clear.
also just talked to the harbor master and he said right where I’m at is a great spot but that the full moon may be too bright for them.

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
OC, CA
Name
jonas domkus
Boat
Catalina 30
So back to the point of my posting—— It wasn’t to argue the MPA zones. the isthmus coves are NOT in MPA zones.

Are there any known spots around the isthmus coves that are likely to have reasonable success??

this is where I’ve been trying:
06CDEEE1-9BB2-4513-A96E-2A0685C5C189.jpeg

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
OC, CA
Name
jonas domkus
Boat
Catalina 30
Well, I’m gonna assume that where I was on the D row in 4th of July isn’t a great spot. Two nights I loaded up my bait with everything, dropped them around my bait starting before dusk and checked them every 40 min for 4-5 hours. Nothing but a baby horn shark, and some tiny crabs.
need to find a better “lazy” spot.
If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
I don’t think your going to get too many people to give up their lobster spots. My suggestion is to try new areas where there are no boats. The popular spots are starting to get picked over this late in the season. Find some deep water rock formations and try those too.

Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
OC, CA
Name
jonas domkus
Boat
Catalina 30
What’s the point of a fishing forum if nobody is willing to share information? It’s not like everyone is gonna take “their” fish and lobsters. Jeez. I’ve seen people respond here with things like “why don’t I give you my bank account?” It’s a friggen ocean. People need to share info with each other to learn from each other, or their just jerks.

Upvote 0

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
What’s the point of a fishing forum if nobody is willing to share information? It’s not like everyone is gonna take “their” fish and lobsters. Jeez. I’ve seen people respond here with things like “why don’t I give you my bank account?” It’s a friggen ocean. People need to share info with each other to learn from each other, or their just jerks.

Imagine for a moment the world without internet......
That's how I learned to fish.
Get out there and put your nose to the ocean instead of a forum.

And yes, NO ONE is going to tell you where they get lobster unless the answer is Costco

Upvote 0

bajachild

Almost A Member
  • Jul 13, 2005
    so. cal
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    2019 Montauk 170
    Rest assured, there are a LOT of jerks here. I met a random guy here from Ventura that opened me up to the islands, and for that I’m grateful. But they’re few and far between.

Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat

Why do I even try. The entitlement of today’s society is astonishing.

Reactions: dktool
    Upvote 0

Jonelli

Mar 30, 2020
    OC, CA
    Name
    jonas domkus
    Boat
    Catalina 30
    Again, why do I even bother coming here in the first place. Apparently the general attitude is “I know how but I’m not telling, go figure it out”.
    I didn’t come in here asking - hey what do I do? I’ve already been learning from others and trying on my own. If everybody here is a self centered jerk, the there is really no point in this forum.
    screw all the people with that attitude and go stuff it where the sun doesn’t shine.
    I’ll never tell you where and how I catch tons of huge sheepshead any day I want then. Screw off.

Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat
    Again, why do I even bother coming here in the first place. Apparently the general attitude is “I know how but I’m not telling, go figure it out”.
    I didn’t come in here asking - hey what do I do? I’ve already been learning from others and trying on my own. If everybody here is a self centered jerk, the there is really no point in this forum.
    screw all the people with that attitude and go stuff it where the sun doesn’t shine.
    I’ll never tell you where and how I catch tons of huge sheepshead any day I want then. Screw off.

I’m sorry!!!!!!! Please give us your sheepshead spot!! Hahahahahahahahaha!

Upvote 0

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
    Aug 11, 2010
    Covina, Ca.
    Name
    Dean
    Boat
    1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore

Ok there newbie, sorry you had to blow your load and leave already.

There's probably a protest somewhere you can expel your anger about the inequities of life at.

C YA

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Wow! I had to respond! Jonelli, there are plenty of cool folks here, willing to help out. I have had some share spots, but I doubt you will get many to help you until you reevaluate your approach (AKA attitude!) I have had folks here share their spots with me, we have fished together, and scored big. People help others when they want to, by relating to them, feeling empathy. You call others a "self centered jerk", but act like a little crybaby when no one wants to give up hard earned information! Here is how it sounds-Give me your numbers on the sheepshead spots, because I am so F-ing cool and you are jerks! Give it to me! Waaahh! That approach may not work. There are many seasoned folks here, who have worked hard to get to where they are. Maybe one day you will be there, and you can tell the "newbies" all your secret spots. Until then, realign your approach, and try a different approach to request information / help from the others here. Maybe fishing is not for you!

Upvote 0