Lobster ?

MyChickBad

Aug 6, 2016
San Diego
Name
mark
Boat
none
Was just thinking when does Lobster start, Then My mind went on overload trying to figure out are there more Hoopers or Divers. Help me out here. What is your opinion?

SRS

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 25, 2015
Name
Scott
Boat
CC
Neither can compete with the commercial guys. Hoopers and divers should get several weeks head start on commercial folks. Legal lobsters are decimated about 2 weeks after they start baiting traps.

Reactions: reelsimple

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Neither can compete with the commercial guys. Hoopers and divers should get several weeks head start on commercial folks. Legal lobsters are decimated about 2 weeks after they start baiting traps.
Why? They're doing it for a living. You're doing it for fun.

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
Why? They're doing it for a living. You're doing it for fun.
Yeah, true. Too bad they export most of our resources to China. If the demand isn't here locally, then maybe they should find another job and stop exporting our local fishery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Hoopers will always exceed divers due to the lower cost and risk, though divers are more successful in shallow water. In deeper water it's only hoopers and commercial traps.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Was just thinking when does Lobster start, Then My mind went on overload trying to figure out are there more Hoopers or Divers. Help me out here. What is your opinion?
you Should Listen too Lets Talk Hookup Saturday
Morning Jim from Promar should be able
too help you with some Good Tips

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Neither can compete with the commercial guys.
Commercial guys take more, but the recreational catch for lobsters - different from, say, tuna - is huge. An average of 35% of lobsters taken each year are from recreational guys. In 2009 this was up to 43%. This doesn't even account for illegal recreational catch, which is a much bigger problem than illegal commercial catch.

Lobster fishing has a huge recreational market in southern California, just as crab fishing has a huge recreational market in northern California. It's a big deal and the lobster open each year involves thousands of boats.

Fact is, lobster is in shallow water so you can go out in a lake boat and fish for them. It's very easy and that's why there's so many people doing it.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
It opens September 31. more hoopers compared to divers by an easy 10 to 1.

October 1st is the opener.

Open season: From the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday in October through the first Wednesday after the 15th of March.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
And legal lobsters are decimated about two weeks after us hoopnetters bait hoopnets in areas commercial guys cant fish.

eldeek

Tienas Suerte?
Mar 22, 2006
Bonsall
Name
El Deek
Boat
30' Baha King Kat--BugKatcher
Is the season opener for the commercial guys the same as recreational this year? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere in the CFG website.

TIA

Rick

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Be sure of the areas as a lot are now off limits.

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
About two more years of this shit (HOOP,DIVE, COMMERCIAL)and they will all be shorts

Killem, killem all.

You can fucking have it.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
It is going to blow like crazy for sure by Monday but do not be surprised if it happens sooner...

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Front page news, SB News Press, possible bug closer due to domoic acid
X2 on the weather, plus 3-4 at 8 seconds, preping for posieden adventure just like last year, was 5 at 8,had a couple close calls, be safe guys, I do the 14'er, much more maneuverable than my Cabo.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
There's no lobsters out there! Everyone should just Stay Home !

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Be careful guys.......No bug is worth your life!!!

Nearly every year we lose one or more due to a diving accident or boating mishap.

Stay safe!!

The unknown fisherman:p: