tclar2sh

Almost A Member
Aug 31, 2006
SD
Name
Hbadger
Boat
20' 79 Sea Ray
Any info will be greatly appreciated. Taking my 10 and 12 year old out to try for some bugs soon. Any info on types of hoopnets. Where is the best place to purchase equipment for bugging and such in North County.

I am going to be hitting up the oceanside area. I know its not a great area but more for the family time together. Any info will help. Merry Christmas to all.

Thanks,

Tim.

Upvote 0

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
I like the ambush nets for the kids. Bugs stay in em when Pulling. Find structure and a good current. Set up current from the structure and drop nets. Fresh macs or sardines work good. Stuff bait cages full so there is plenty of bait to keep them around.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

SeaAddict

Captain Magellan
Jan 21, 2011
Long Beach
Name
Danysdee
Boat
Seacraft potter 23
I had luck with the ambush nets but mostly with 2-3 pound lobster ... the ones that lay flat usually work best for me to catch the much bigger ones but they have a better chance of getting away if you dont keep tension when pulling.... use mackeral for bait ..... bait boxes optional... but recommended ..... drop the nets at 10-20 minutes before sunset then pull them 30-40 minutes after it gets all dark .... not really sure on spot in oceanside but you could never go wrong with the breakwall .... make sure you know your depth and have enough rope.... also watch the weather and have life jackets on the kids at all times ...... dont forget the raingear and waterboots ,,,, fishing license ,,lobster report card,, and lobster gauge..... hope this helps... good luck

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
I had luck with the ambush nets but mostly with 2-3 pound lobster ... the ones that lay flat usually work best for me to catch the much bigger ones but they have a better chance of getting away if you dont keep tension when pulling.... use mackeral for bait ..... bait boxes optional... but recommended ..... drop the nets at 10-20 minutes before sunset and pull them anywhere between 30 45 min..... not really sure on spot in oceanside but you could never go wrong with the breakwall .... make sure you know your depth and have enough rope.... also watch the weather and have life jackets on the kids at all times ...... dont forget the raingear and waterboots ,,,, fishing license ,,lobster report card,, and lobster gauge..... hope this helps... good luck

I'd suggest you do everything at the dock before you head out that you can. have your bait cages loaded before you head to the water. put them in the hoops before your leave the dock. I perfer salmon heads over sardines or mackerel and they are cheaper to buy too. Fishing spots I'd suggest the man made reefs, but I have never fished in that area. last i'd suggest you watch some of my lobster hooping video clips off my You Tube channel so your kids can have a good idea of what it will be like. have fun and let the kids do some of the work too, they'll love it. Merry Christmas....

Upvote 0

Mikieb

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2011
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Name
Mike
Boat
Crash & Burn
I'd suggest you do everything at the dock before you head out that you can. have your bait cages loaded before you head to the water. put them in the hoops before your leave the dock. I perfer salmon heads over sardines or mackerel and they are cheaper to buy too. Fishing spots I'd suggest the man made reefs, but I have never fished in that area. last i'd suggest you watch some of my lobster hooping video clips off my You Tube channel so your kids can have a good idea of what it will be like. have fun and let the kids do some of the work too, they'll love it. Merry Christmas....

You know Dan I always use salmon head , mackerel or Bonita , sardine combo with great success . Next week when I go no sardines because they are a pain in the ass & if I don't need them it's much faster to load cages & the new bait cages have bigger holes for sardines to slide through anyways. I'll let you know if the sardines make much difference.

Upvote 0

tclar2sh

Almost A Member
Aug 31, 2006
SD
Name
Hbadger
Boat
20' 79 Sea Ray
Nice. Thanks peeps. My kids are looking forward to it. Tight lines and Merrrrryyyyy Christmasssss...!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
You know Dan I always use salmon head , mackerel or Bonita , sardine combo with great success . Next week when I go no sardines because they are a pain in the ass & if I don't need them it's much faster to load cages & the new bait cages have bigger holes for sardines to slide through anyways. I'll let you know if the sardines make much difference.

cool let me know. I think if I used sardines again i'd put them on some sort of bag and then place that in my bait cage, but salmon heads seem to work better and last longer for me. good luck

Upvote 0

osidefishin

big daddy
Nov 27, 2006
oceanside
Name
chuck
Boat
18' Klamath cc " Second chance "
Any info will be greatly appreciated. Taking my 10 and 12 year old out to try for some bugs soon. Any info on types of hoopnets. Where is the best place to purchase equipment for bugging and such in North County.

I am going to be hitting up the oceanside area. I know its not a great area but more for the family time together. Any info will help. Merry Christmas to all.

Thanks,

Tim.
If your going out of oside I got some hoops you can borrow if you want to try it out before you sink alot of money into it..Im right by oside harbor...I think I even have some salmon heads in the freezer..I can set you and your boys up so you can give it a shot..pm me if your interested...chuck

Upvote 0

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
If your going out of oside I got some hoops you can borrow if you want to try it out before you sink alot of money into it..Im right by oside harbor...I think I even have some salmon heads in the freezer..I can set you and your boys up so you can give it a shot..pm me if your interested...chuck

Now that's the spirit of Christmas right there.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
You know Dan I always use salmon head , mackerel or Bonita , sardine combo with great success.

Okay.

Next week when I go no sardines because they are a pain in the ass & if I don't need them it's much faster to load cages

If it comes easy then your not trying.

& the new bait cages have bigger holes for sardines to slide through anyways.

Sardines do not slide thru holes, fish and other critters (crabs) along with those FN Seals suck them out.
Plug the holes, or cover with a smaller square by square measurement material of your choice other than panty hose.

I'll let you know if the sardines make much difference.

This gets good now!
With The WITCH over my shoulder and reading the above line she says to me,
"I think we have a customer!
Can you believe that statement?
You never get sardine oil completely off your hands.
Sardines are what you've caught Lobsters on your whole life errrrr YOU SUCK John!"

Til' the end of the year stay inside. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
cool let me know. I think if I used sardines again i'd put them on some sort of bag and then place that in my bait cage, but salmon heads seem to work better and last longer for me. good luck

I fill the bottom of a 5gl bucket and let the sardines die off - then make my 5yr old jump up and down in the bucket with his boots of course and make a fresh slurry. Sometimes it take a bigger size 12 boot to finish the mash.

Now the trick - take a handful or two or three of that fresh, bloody, scaly slurry - place into a cheese cloth - wrap - ziptie and add that to whats already in your bait cage for an added scent punch for the roaches to sniff.

Other then hitting the right spots at the right time - that has been our continued secret to success over the years.

We are headed to Catalina for 4 days after Christmas - kids absolutely love when the net comes over - funny but they spend more time fucking around with the bycatch then the red gold.

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
IF you have any ? just call me I will help have a few numbers I can give you for down that way.Be very carefull .Fishing that breakwall is very Dangerous.It breaks at the opening alot.Not a place to learn.Please feel free to call me .Merry Xmas.

Upvote 0

SauerFish Charters

Captain 100 Ton MNC
Aug 28, 2007
San Diego
www.sauerfishcharters.com
Name
Eric Sauerwein
Boat
42' Uniflite "SauerFish" 6 Pack
IF you have any ? just call me I will help have a few numbers I can give you for down that way.Be very carefull .Fishing that breakwall is very Dangerous.It breaks at the opening alot.Not a place to learn.Please feel free to call me .Merry Xmas.

Thats an awesome offer right there...I'd give Dave a call

Upvote 0

fisher3

Deckhand
Jun 29, 2009
Southern California
Name
Spliff
Boat
18 ft CC Starcract "Kelp Runner" 224 Chaparral Fisherman
ive been fishing off oside for some time, and went hooping a few times this season too. we headed down south to carlsbad and fished near the kelp line where we saw structure on the sonar, at about 20 to 30 feet of water. caught a lot of shorts and a few legals. its fun even if you're catching shorts. especially for the young ones.

Upvote 0

BHOFFMAN

Almost A Member
Oct 12, 2008
Canyon Lake, Ca
Name
Brian Hoffman
Boat
25 Grady White Sailfish
Hey dave and chuck . We need more stand up guys like you in so cal. Its really nice to see someone trying to help out a guy and his kids that want to fish. Have a merry xmas.

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
I fill the bottom of a 5gl bucket and let the sardines die off - then make my 5yr old jump up and down in the bucket with his boots of course and make a fresh slurry. Sometimes it take a bigger size 12 boot to finish the mash.

Now the trick - take a handful or two or three of that fresh, bloody, scaly slurry - place into a cheese cloth - wrap - ziptie and add that to whats already in your bait cage for an added scent punch for the roaches to sniff.

Other then hitting the right spots at the right time - that has been our continued secret to success over the years.

We are headed to Catalina for 4 days after Christmas - kids absolutely love when the net comes over - funny but they spend more time fucking around with the bycatch then the red gold.

LOL, loved it. now if I only had my own 5 year old I could try this. Have a Great Christmas!

Upvote 0