hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Depends on the warden you run into but attitude towards them goes a long way. I haven't had a bad experience with them aside being checked twice on opening weekend, and while a slight inconvenience, no issues. They checked my gauges as I had just dropped my first set; had three Promar gauges aboard and one was a hair short. They bent it and told me to trash it when I got back to the dock. Yes sir!

Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
If that what it takes, so be it. The sooner these rogue wardens get their butt reamed by a judge the sooner it will stop. A measurement is a measurement and if it touches with no play then its legal.
I agree but it's rare for a judge to give shit to anyone in le. Eap over a lobster

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
After studying the pic closer I think the bug size is your least problem; if I were a LEO I would have strip searched the perp in the pic for drugs;)

Great attention to details Jeff!

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
There is such thing as a 3.25 inch carapace. I like lobster where there is no need to measure, just high fives.

Upvote 0

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
Once upon a time (yes, a bedtime story) we were anchored at Cat fishing waiting for the nightfall to hoop, DFG stopped by to check us out, my main hoop buddy (we will call him Jerry) commenced to asking them the regs on so many species and everything else he could throw at them.
They shoved off and went on their way, (Jerry was still talking) a couple hours later we see them coming back in our direction, then they realized what boat they were approaching and did a 90 degree wave off, they weren't going down that rabbit hole again !

Hooray for Jerry ..... crack yourself another cold one buddy !

Reactions: stanky1
Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
I'm the same, if the gauge fits in between I toss it back, not worth the hassle. Some of these guys are rookies and trying to show off.

Upvote 0

[email protected]

Almost A Member
Feb 27, 2008
Dana Pt / Los Barrilles
Name
Greg
Boat
23 diaz Superpanga/20ft Blackman
If you guys want the same gauge the wardens use you can buy them from Hamilton Marine in Maine. It is made by Top Me Products. They have a online catalogue just look under commercial fishing.BTW if it goes over the back its not worth the potential hassle.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
Wardens do not use cheap, light weight aluminum gauges. They use heavy brass ones. They put the gauge on and flip the bug. If it stays on, legal. If it falls off, ticket is issued. Always toss the barely legal.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    If even close I toss back, BAD KARMA taking smalls!

Upvote 0

Sushiboy

Jan 1, 2007
    Redlands
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    21' Wellcraft CC
    I tossed back a bug with a 6+ inch carapace this year(too big and old)and don't keep 3.25 inch bugs anymore.used to when I fished Dana out of the kayak though.I have had night where I pulled 50 bugs for 2 questionables.
    No more though.Some wardens roll through like thunder.Not worth it.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    That does happen and it's 100% wrong. The gauge measures 3.25 inches. That is the minimum carapace length for a lobster to be legal. So a gauge will fit over the carapace of a bug at the minimum length.

The rule is if the gauge fits but has no "play", meaning you can't wiggle the gauge back and forth, the bug is LEGAL.

I agree to throw it back because it's not worth the hassle, but I also lament that some idiot warden who is unable or unwilling to do his job enforcing the rules cites people for perfectly legal bugs, and often RELEASES the bug preserving nothing but his report saying it was short... the only thing getting shorted is the lawful fisherman. It's disgusting.
    So in other words, pretty much every warden out there? Overpaid and underworked state employees.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Wardens job is to protect our fishery If your taking smalls you deserve a fine PLAIN N SIMPLE, Plenty out there why even chance it? Imagine no wardens watching over our beloved resource....

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    And by the way all the warden bashers I have a question, How serious do you take your job?
    Groundless and unsubstantiated argument. Most of us on here are not in a position of power. We don’t have the ability to hit others with large monetary penalties or even jail time. I have ZERO sympathy for wardens because of what’s stated above. They have the power to hit people with fines at “their discretion” they have the power to theoretically jail people “at their discretion” so if they’re 100% total assholes who abuse their power like so many in positions of power do, (regular cops, bosses, yada yada) then why would you ask how seriously we take our jobs when our job doesn’t even come close to comparing in power with the power they have??
    That being said: I take my job very seriously, thanks for asking.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    May I ask what abuse you have sustained by these rouge assholes? Im 57 started fishing LB Harbor off an innertube at 10yrs old and seen plenty stuff go down, Boarded at least once a year I follow the rules n NEVER had a problem.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    From my understanding, there aren't but a few wardens that regularly patrol LA/OC; as I've run into the same guy 4 or 5 times at the ramp. Younger guy in a Chevy, very professional every time, "hey I notice you went out 10/28 but didn't fill in your catch, here's a sharpie." Easy to report as I got skunked that night but again, don't try to show these guys up and you won't get hassled.

Hell, go pros are cheap now. Buy one or two and mount them as needed. They're going to record the boarding on their end, you can record on yours.

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

jspana

Cali*Co
    Jul 28, 2014
    laverne
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
    Wardens are usually cool if you are, We got boarded one time in DP and had a big rock crab. We weren't sure if it was even in season but figured we could check when we got cell service at the dock and toss it back if it was not. Well we got boarded on the way in. He measured a few lobster and was like "nice catch" then we asked whats up with the crab is it legal to take or no. He said "I have no idea if they are in season, hell if its bigger than that gauge you can keep it, I'm not usually a saltwater warden, I work at Puddingstone measuring trout"! lol It tasted great and yeah it was all legal but just goes to show you that you have to have yourself covered. I just screenshoted that post on the dfw site from above. It will come in handy because I toss back tons of clickers and go home without dinner. Now I think Ill keep a few (not all just a few).

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    If you guys want the same gauge the wardens use you can buy them from Hamilton Marine in Maine. It is made by Top Me Products. They have a online catalogue just look under commercial fishing.BTW if it goes over the back its not worth the potential hassle.

Thanks for link . Just ordered a couple. I asked a warden last year were i could buy one he said you can't buy them that they were state issued . Guess he was wrong

Reactions: [email protected]
    Upvote 0

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
    Aug 11, 2010
    Covina, Ca.
    Name
    Dean
    Boat
    1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
    We made our own gauges out of 10 ga s.s. (tool and die guys) stamped the with large character stamps, 3.250 and I also keep a dial caliper on board in the event I was ever questioned about the accuracy of my gauge.
    Or to check theirs and see whos was more precise.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    Joe says $500. Mike's was $1000
    Boat rules, if the gauge goes on, the bug goes back!
    I have tossed back a dozen like that the last few weeks and have not came close to a limit on my boat.

Reactions: makairaa
    Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Overpaid? A manager at a fast food restaurant makes more.
    Couple thoughts on that,First of all no one is forcing them to take that job,Second you usually get what you pay for,lol.

Reactions: makairaa
    Upvote 0