seanstewart

Skipjack Mafia
Sep 13, 2016
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Sean Stewart
Boat
Skipjack 25' Fisherman
I’m not claiming to know anything about this scenario. But, I wanted to share what I heard on Let’s Talk Hookup on opening weekend. The on-air lobster expert indicated that any hoop that is left in the water over two hours is considered abandoned and can be claimed by any person who comes across the hoop. I’m not saying that was the case here, but could that have been possible?

This is the language from the regulations about raising the hoop every two hours: “Hoop netters are required to raise the net to the surface and inspect the contents of the net at least every two hours.”

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I’m not claiming to know anything about this scenario. But, I wanted to share what I heard on Let’s Talk Hookup on opening weekend. The on-air lobster expert indicated that any hoop that is left in the water over two hours is considered abandoned and can be claimed by any person who comes across the hoop. I’m not saying that was the case here, but could that have been possible?

This is the language from the regulations about raising the hoop every two hours: “Hoop netters are required to raise the net to the surface and inspect the contents of the net at least every two hours.”
So which expert said that ? I'm thinking that's incorrect.The two hour thing yes,abandoned and can be claimed ? I don't think so.What they need to do is make a rule where you MUST be watching your gear at all times.

Upvote 0

split172

Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25

Only those that can enforce the regulations are able to take another persons gear after the 2 hour “abandonment”.

Reactions: marlyn and plj46
Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Unless you have video or eyewitness proof of the act its gonna be tough to prove where this alleged thief claims to have found them....not worth yours or cops time...gotta sting em...

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Only bottom line I see here is a reminder that you gotta watch your gear while it's deployed. Thieves are everywhere! (fucking towing company stole my spare tire and jack and only had the vehicle for 12 hours)

...if you set your gear, and let it get out of your sight, well...........this can happen.
Which tow company _ I hope you left them a bad review

• Haha
Reactions: farhangs
Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
If it was in the channel the harbor police could have picked it up or it was run over by a boat.

Or a sea dog drags it away, watched one of mine go out in the harbor and disappear:1041677399:

Reactions: squidbutt
Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Unless you have video or eyewitness proof of the act its gonna be tough to prove where this alleged thief claims to have found them....not worth yours or cops time...gotta sting em...
    All the Thief has to say is "I found them in the dumpster". As fishkilr said "Unlesss you have proof of HIM ACTUALLY REMOVING THEM FROM THE WATER, Your Barking up a dead tree!! My friend had hand tools stolen out of his garage at night time and I seen someone in his garage and called the police that someone is breaking in a garage. They caught him on the next block and he told the cops "He found them in the street and let him go" If I would of seen him take them personally Then they could of arrested him. The Moral of the story is "If you don't witness the actual theft, Your fucked" and nothing you can do!! Sorry for the Bad News.

Upvote 0

split172

Aug 3, 2015
    Orange County
    Name
    One More
    Boat
    Steiger Craft 25
    All the Thief has to say is "I found them in the dumpster". As fishkilr said "Unlesss you have proof of HIM ACTUALLY REMOVING THEM FROM THE WATER, Your Barking up a dead tree!! My friend had hand tools stolen out of his garage at night time and I seen someone in his garage and called the police that someone is breaking in a garage. They caught him on the next block and he told the cops "He found them in the street and let him go" If I would of seen him take them personally Then they could of arrested him. The Moral of the story is "If you don't witness the actual theft, Your fucked" and nothing you can do!! Sorry for the Bad News.
    Nothing you can do my ass! You can go there in person, verify it’s yours with some kind of identifying markings, and take it back. If cops need to become involved prove they are yours. Easy as that. It’s either stolen property or misappropriation of found property. Unless you can’t identify do to not markings on gear that identify owner. Then you are fucked and should call it a learning lesson.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Nothing you can do my ass! You can go there in person, verify it’s yours with some kind of identifying markings, and take it back. If cops need to become involved prove they are yours. Easy as that. It’s either stolen property or misappropriation of found property. Unless you can’t identify do to not markings on gear that identify owner. Then you are fucked and should call it a learning lesson.
    I guess if you want to go through all that B.S and prove to the police that it's yours (After the stolen/misappropriation of found said property or whatever else the thief claims confiscated as evidence is impounded) and hopefully you eventually get it back!! All this for a couple hundred bucks. Why not just go down their a give the thief a country ass kickin and call it good and hope you don't get arrested.

Upvote 0

gunnyslinger

Steady 1’s and 2’s
    Mar 15, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    20’ CC
    How does someone steal your rigs when you're watching them? If you weren't keeping an eye on them they probably floated away.

Hard to believe anyone with a boat would want to steal traps and sell them online.

You must live in quite the bubble bud. Just as many assholes have boats.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.