Lobster-tip, targeting a small window with FULL MOON.

PENN

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
My friends and i always thought light scared lobsters.We've recently tried fishing jetties and rock areas from shore.We're dropping nets in 1' to 3' of water.Here's what we've found out.A spotlight or very strong flashlight DOES NOT seem to affect the lobster in any way.We're not even pulling nets to check them,we're walking down to them and spotlighting them to see what's in them.The lobsters seem to have a "deer in the headlights" reaction and just sit there in the net frozen.
Man did you just get my attention, for what that's worth.
Were these really small juvenile lobsters Jim? Legals mixed in?

Now with that said,the last full moon we set hoops before sundown and waited.About 30 minutes after darkness we checked 6 nets.The moon has started to rise at this point.There are are 4 nets with a total of 6 lobster,one ends up being a keeper.The moon has risen a little more.We reset and wait awhile.Next check only one lobster in a net,short.The moon is up pretty good and bright at this point.Never saw another lobster that night.The other interesting thing was watching how a lobster reacts as it tries to get into a conical net.We watched one for about 5 minutes and it must have been a dumb one (or smart depending on how you look at it) the damn thing would not go into the net and to the bait tube.It sat right at the opening.
The lobster might have been having a flashback dating back to when it last saw it's Mom and Dad in a conical net.
Was this the same depth as above 1 to 3 feet, or deeper? How deep?

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
If we're talking only Catalina I think it's a current issue more than a tidal issue, my opinion of course. Every spot mainland or island is different IMO. EX: One of my favorite hooping spots historically was Red Bluff . . . I'd drop the nets on the 10 fathom curve, good tidal movement and no uphill current equaled BUGS, lot's of them. Add the uphill current and forget about it my nets were all the way to RIPPERS. Always look at which way the kelp is facing in areas where there's normally kelp, and when you look in these places and you can't see the kelp tell your nets and floats to hold on for an E-ticket ride uphill. Also be careful dropping nets in GOAT harbor when that uphill current is coming around the corner from Long Point, found'em 3/8 miles WEST on a certain beach. Good Luck!
Isn’t goat part of the Italian Gardens MLPA?

Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Goats closed - opens back up near Cabrillo - but from what I've seen at the island - there are a thousand retards with brand new hoop nets that have never heard of the MLPA

Upvote 0

warhead

Jul 18, 2003
San Pedro, Ca
Name
Jerry
Boat
Tiara 3600 Open
FWIW,
I've found that current and good structure have been the most important factor more than moon phase, so I plan my drops around favorable tides and around solid structure. Side scan really helps with finding the right structure.
Tide shifts for me have not been as productive regardless of how good the bottom looks.
Last night, for instance with a good incoming tide I dropped 5 hoops around 6:30pm, made 1 pull about 45 minutes later and ended up with 3 legal and 1 short. If I didn't have to get u early this morning I would've made another set pulling right before the tide shift. Water depth was between 25' and 30'

Reactions: FloMar
Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
I agree. I have observed a good crawl right before moon rise just after sunset/darkness on several different occasions. Once it's full light the crawl seemed to stop. Typically though any incoming tide at sunset produces a good crawl for the first two hours.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I drop 200 ft all night nothing our ace hauler can’t handle

What's your ratio of lobsters at 200 feet versus other stuff in your nets such as: Crabs, Eels, Periwinkles, Starfish, Silver Dollars, Sculpin, Cod, Empty?

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
0602E28D-5CFA-42B8-B902-B405BC799D1F.jpeg
For ME I have found the best time to go is.......
WHEN YOU HAVE TIME>>>>>>>>
Arrived at 11, cages full and in the nets by 12, nets down by 12:42, on hook snagging bait by 1, beautiful out, light breeze, fog in the distance maybe 12 mile visibility now just before 2pm. 1st 10 nets pulled 4 legals. 2nd 10 nets pulled 2 legals. 3rd 10 nets pulled NO legals, reality check. Seals! Pulled the plug, ended with 6 legals.

image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0477.MOV
    7.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
What's your ratio of lobsters at 200 feet versus other stuff in your nets such as: Crabs, Eels, Periwinkles, Starfish, Silver Dollars, Sculpin, Cod, Empty?
We don’t get hardly any by catch when we go 80-150 we get Snails and Hornsharks occasional sculpin. Seals don’t bother us we been dropping same area for last 3 seasons been productive. I wish my old honey holes shallow still produced but over the years as sport has taken off we ventured to deep spots at Cat to avoid the boat traffic so far so good

Reactions: ISLAND BOUND
Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In

Not much by catch at all for us. I have only been working deep for a couple years. It's very hit and miss. My best net so far was 17 in one net with 13 of them being keepers. I find the quality is usually better out deeper.

BTW - last night we stayed shallow (25 - 30ft). Being at Cat and a full moon I didn't want to loose my gear. We ended with limits for 3 in 2.5 sets. As it turned out the currents weren't too bad anyways.

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Not much by catch at all for us. I have only been working deep for a couple years. It's very hit and miss. My best net so far was 17 in one net with 13 of them being keepers. I find the quality is usually better out deeper.

BTW - last night we stayed shallow (25 - 30ft). Being at Cat and a full moon I didn't want to loose my gear. We ended with limits for 3 in 2.5 sets. As it turned out the currents weren't too bad anyways.
I wonder how long it takes a lobster to sink back down to the bottom after being thrown back at 200 feet? And how far away it ends up from its original hood?

Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
I wonder how long it takes a lobster to sink back down to the bottom after being thrown back at 200 feet? And how far away it ends up from its original hood?

Good question. Swimming down I don't think would take long at all. They move pretty fast when they kick out of a cage. Depending on current they may end up a 100 yards or so away from it's original location. They may end up with an upgrade. Lobsters do migrate so I don't think the hood is really a big deal.

Upvote 0