Lobster-tip, targeting a small window with FULL MOON.

PENN

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I'd just sent the following info to another person, and I got to thinking I should be able to give this to everyone without compromising myself and/or others.

My take is, I hate the MOON when it comes to Lobster.
That said, I plan on hooping this Saturday 16th in the location I hoop.
Yes the MOON will be 89% Saturday, but I'm confident between sunset
@ 450 PM, and the MOON rising @ 832 PM, I can get the job done.
If I factor in when I theoretically will start pulling at 532 PM I'll have a dark 3 hour window before the MOON rises. Making the most of a small window is hard to do but as my tag-line says "LUCK is where planning meets opportunity", so I'm planning accordingly and if the opportunity presents itself WE WILL GET THEM. Not arrogance, just confident. Good Luck! Be safe! Go gettum! John.

Lobster window Saturday 20191116.jpg

Added ~ plan on dropping the nets no later than 2PM, and could drop them as early as NOON if everything falls into place (driving, launching, baiting cages, cages in nets).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing the intel! It looks like it will just get better from then? (later rise, less %?)

Reactions: FloMar
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I would add 30-45 minutes past 8:32. It takes that long for the moon to get high enough to effect the light on the water.
    Just my 2 cents.

I agree Ron, hoping though will be done by then.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    I’ve always found that the full moon actually HELPS (yes helps, no I’m not crazy). I’ve had some of my best nights fishing the full moon, I’ve never figured out why, but it’s consistent between the full moon=more bugs and new moon or crescent moon=less bugs. We all have our own opinions and thoughts on stuff, could also be location, time, current, etc etc. but good info either way.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I’ve always found that the full moon actually HELPS (yes helps, no I’m not crazy). I’ve had some of my best nights fishing the full moon, I’ve never figured out why, but it’s consistent between the full moon=more bugs and new moon or crescent moon=less bugs. We all have our own opinions and thoughts on stuff, could also be location, time, current, etc etc. but good info either way.

I can only take you at your WORD Robert!
    Kudos to you, I'm glad the FULL MOON works for you.
    I've never had a successful night with a close to FULL MOON,
    or FULL MOON, never!? I've hooped from San Diego to Santa Barbara, including San Clemente, Catalina, SBI, Anacapa and Santa Cruz islands they all shut down when the FULL MOON came up. Come to think of it there was one time I had success, but there was cloud cover masking the FULL MOON. If it's not broken don't fix it! John.

Reactions: NoLDR
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    More info, thanks for the feedback! I think with the fog, (again, does the moon light have an effect in fog?) I will not be going tonight. This will surely make for a better night for those who do go! I think I will change the following- longer, earlier first soak. I saw someone post they only soak for 2 min! I plan on 1.5-2 hrs.first soak 1.5 before sundown. No cutting of the bait. Deeper drops, I have been shallow, < 20. Go get them! If you can, post bragging kill info!

Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    The most valuable info you've shared that I've heard as well from a Marine Biologist is lobster only have to/ want to eat once every 5-7 days.

So regardless of current/moon/bait/aurora borealis - your chances sometimes rely on percentage of bugs eating that night.

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    We ended with 7 by 730 last night Called it a night. Tough hooping on work nights 1st drop was at 445. If that helps anyone

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Also i have been making these lead weights using a pie tin . They fit in the bottom of the promar nets and seem to work well. About 3/8 thick .

26560.jpeg

Upvote 0

teddya2

Mar 30, 2007
    san diego
    Name
    teddya2
    Boat
    invader 20- Bikini Bottom
    I'll be doing that same effort sunday.....a tiny bit later pulls and good tide agreement---

Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    24, Angler, All-In
    Hey John. I share your experience. Do you think it is more of a tidal issue than a light issue or both? I'm planning on hitting Cat this weekend. Probably try deep and shallow. First trip this year for me since the boat has been in the shop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Hey John. I share your experience. Do you think it is more of a tidal issue than a light issue or both? I'm planning on hitting Cat this weekend. Probably try deep and shallow. First trip this year for me since the boat has been in the shop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We were at Cat last Thursday. Clear skies, relatively bright moon. Set in an hour before dark. 1st two nets 2 legals, then shorts and sharks until 11:30. Clear water, very bright, weak tide. We normally would pass but that was when we could get time to go. If that helps.

Not to beat a dead horse, but light has always been bad for us. Not saying you can’t get them, IME, no moon is vastly better with current.

Well done on the weights Chad.

Reactions: madrugador
    Upvote 0
    Jun 22, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Fillet and release
    If light was an issue, and i think it is. Could one drop his hoops deep like 150' or so to eliminate the moon light? just wondering if that would be a problem solver.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    My friends and i always thought light scared lobsters.We've recently tried fishing jetties and rock areas from shore.We're dropping nets in 1' to 3' of water.Here's what we've found out.A spotlight or very strong flashlight DOES NOT seem to affect the lobster in any way.We're not even pulling nets to check them,we're walking down to them and spotlighting them to see what's in them.The lobsters seem to have a "deer in the headlights" reaction and just sit there in the net frozen.Now with that said,the last full moon we set hoops before sundown and waited.About 30 minutes after darkness we checked 6 nets.The moon has started to rise at this point.There are are 4 nets with a total of 6 lobster,one ends up being a keeper.The moon has risen a little more.We reset and wait awhile.Next check only one lobster in a net,short.The moon is up pretty good and bright at this point.Never saw another lobster that night.The other interesting thing was watching how a lobster reacts as it tries to get into a conical net.We watched one for about 5 minutes and it must have been a dumb one (or smart depending on how you look at it) the damn thing would not go into the net and to the bait tube.It sat right at the opening.

Reactions: Alcapone805
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Also i have been making these lead weights using a pie tin . They fit in the bottom of the promar nets and seem to work well. About 3/8 thick . View attachment 1088849

Hey Chad, what's the weight of the Lead Discs, give or take a few?
    Do you make sinkers, like 8 ounce torpedos?

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320

If we're talking only Catalina I think it's a current issue more than a tidal issue, my opinion of course. Every spot mainland or island is different IMO. EX: One of my favorite hooping spots historically was Red Bluff . . . I'd drop the nets on the 10 fathom curve, good tidal movement and no uphill current equaled BUGS, lot's of them. Add the uphill current and forget about it my nets were all the way to RIPPERS. Always look at which way the kelp is facing in areas where there's normally kelp, and when you look in these places and you can't see the kelp tell your nets and floats to hold on for an E-ticket ride uphill. Also be careful dropping nets in GOAT harbor when that uphill current is coming around the corner from Long Point, found'em 3/8 miles WEST on a certain beach. Good Luck!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0