flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
Does anyone here who hoops for lobster keep a tank at home to keep them alive longer? Was thinking about setting up a trash can with salt water and a pump to keep them alive. This way I can eat the ones I catch at my pace. I find the frozen ones never taste as good.

Are you mixing your own salt water? What salinity? 1.023? Was planning on just a power head, no heater, no airstone. Is that enough?

Rickshaw

Hard Core Fisherman's Father
Aug 4, 2009
San Diego CA USA
Name
Rick
Boat
20 Foot Blackman Center Console STROKER II
Depending on how many you plan on keeping alive at a time. I'm pretty sure you can't go over your daily limit.

hotrail20

Intrepid 200 LB Club
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
I dont know if you are allowed to keep them at home alive, one of the guys will respond soon enough

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
yes, i know that you aren't allowed to keep over the daily limit, but how about keeping it alive so its fresher? i can't eat 3 lobsters in 2 days... so thought about keeping it alive longer...

Hooops

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
dont get caught. illegal as heck.
Timeout - I'm no DFG expert - but I go to the Island and get 21 lobster for myself and 2 sons - I dock the boat at my house and leave the baittank on and take and eat live lobster as needed over a week or two - there can't be an issue with that - or could there?

Jhandyman

Dude
Oct 21, 2012
South OC / California
Name
Jim
Boat
16' Valco
There are no california regulation regarding storing / keeping california spiney lobster. In fact you'd be obeying the law, which makes it illegal to store tailed lobsters.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I just searched my ass off trying to find an answer to keeping lobster alive at home or elsewhere. Nothing totally clear, and from what I've read it sure appears that it's ok to do. There is actually even quite a few links giving details on how to keep them alive in tanks, although most seem to be referring to Maine Lobsters.

The unknown Bieberman:p:

tclar2sh

Aug 31, 2006
SD
Name
Hbadger
Boat
20' 79 Sea Ray
Yes, you can keep the daily limit in your possession alive for how ever long as needed. (DO NOT EXCEED) DFG will follow people home to see where they live. I use a fifty gallon acrylic fish tank with a sump filtration system. I do mix my own salt water and the bugs do keep very nicely. Water temp is between 64 to 66 degrees and always have the water moving via a power head. Water movement is key though.

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
I used to get all my saltwater from the top of Scripps pier, out of a hose. Lot cheaper than mix.

Couple trashcans strapped in truck for transporting the water.

A cheap bio-wheel, hang on the back filter will work to keep then alive.

bugman

Oct 7, 2004
san diego
Name
bob sciacqua
Boat
15' gregor baja , 17' Boston Whaler "Bella Serra"
You should be o.k. as long as you are not in possesion of over limits. Now after the season closes..... that may be another story

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
I have a salt water pool in the backyard, eat 6 and stock one each time I go out, I'll have my own little honey hole in no time!

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
I have kept lobsters in a tank. They are filthy creatures. I have a 125 gal. tank in my garage that is always running, because i cure live rock now and then. It has about three inches of sand, and coral rubble on the bottom, with a skimmer and a circulation pump. By the next morning, the tank is destoyed. The water is a mess, and has an odor from the waste. I don't bother checking the ammonia, because there is nothing I can do to bring it down....but I leave the bugs in there for about a week, or until the stink gets to bad. If I can't eat them fresh, i give them away. Frozen lobster tail taste like crap IMO.

The only way you can keep them for longer periods is to have a well developed bio filter that can handle the sudden influx of waste.

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
... Frozen lobster tail taste like crap IMO...
You've been freezing them wrong. I have cooked as many as 24 lobsters in one night, mixtures of frozen and fresh bugs. the frozen are every bit as good as fresh.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
It looks like you can keep and transport legally possessed species, live as long is it "not for public" display. The example I found was a DFG post reply listed below.

I know all of you realize this, but I WOULD NEVER put them in my salt tank due to disease and so on.

Can I collect octopus for my private aquarium?
Question:
I need to know if it’s legal to collect a pair of octopus for a private aquarium. I would like to use scuba to collect them in the Monterey/Santa Cruz area. (Jason K., Santa Cruz)
Answer: Octopus may be collected for a home aquarium and transported live under the authority of a sport fishing license as long as they are exclusively for that person’s personal aquarium display. Maintaining live sport-taken octopus in a home aquarium is not considered public “display” and thus does not fall under the provisions of the marine aquaria pet trade (Fish and Game Code, sections 8596-8597). Transporting live “finfish” (as opposed to mollusks and crustaceans) is prohibited (CCR Title 14, section 1.62).
Invertebrates collected under the authority of a sport fishing license may not be used to establish breeding colonies for sale or trade with other people. Any trading, selling or possession for sale or trade of these animals constitutes commercial marine aquaria pet trade activity and requires all parties to hold “marine aquaria collectors permits” authorizing this practice. A marine collector’s permit is also required for any animals on display for the public.
Octopus may not be taken from places where it is prohibited (for example, in a marine protected area) or via SCUBA north of Yankee Point (Monterey County), which would rule out the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay area. For a map showing where Yankee Point is located, please see www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/central_reference_points.pdf.

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
good point... i have a 200gallon saltwater reef tank... forgot about the ammonia spike....

from the thoughts of it, i may even need a double tank... 1 to purge them in and 1 to keep them in...

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
you would want to keep an eye on the temperature. Most aquariums run too warm. I would add air. Water from scripps works, but be careful when you get it. They have no filtration on the pump. I know a couple of service guys that have wiped out entire tanks because they got water there during a red tide.