Lobster Report - SD Bay 11/3

PENN
Jul 1, 2015
Name
Austin
Boat
The Santa Clara
A buddy and I launched out of Shelter Island around 7p last night with our nets loaded and ready for some bugs. Unfortunately, no keepers were to be found. We pulled some shorts, a ton of rays and a shark--all in 25-35 ft of water. For bait we used the leftover from a buddy's YFT catch last weekend. By the end of the night we had a seal chasing us so we called it quits around 10. On to making a seal-proof bait cage.

AR

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Thanks! Sealions are hell. Had a few bait cages get crunched already. Sticking to the seal proof ones from now on. They learned fast this season.

Just curious were you inside SD bay or in the entrance or outside near the mlpa?

I've done outside of mission bay for a zillion shorts. In the harbor for a few legals. Nothing special.

Saw a sealion at shelter try and climb on a bass boat. Filled it with water and damn near sunk it.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2015
Name
Austin
Boat
The Santa Clara
Thanks! Sealions are hell. Had a few bait cages get crunched already. Sticking to the seal proof ones from now on. They learned fast this season.

Just curious were you inside SD bay or in the entrance or outside near the mlpa?

I've done outside of mission bay for a zillion shorts. In the harbor for a few legals. Nothing special.

Saw a sealion at shelter try and climb on a bass boat. Filled it with water and damn near sunk it.

We were inside the bay...next trip will probably be out to the reefs.

Reactions: duckbutter6a
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
A buddy and I launched out of Shelter Island around 7p last night with our nets loaded and ready for some bugs. Unfortunately, no keepers were to be found. We pulled some shorts, a ton of rays and a shark--all in 25-35 ft of water. For bait we used the leftover from a buddy's YFT catch last weekend. By the end of the night we had a seal chasing us so we called it quits around 10. On to making a seal-proof bait cage.

AR

Keep at it and it will happen.

Ever head out from Mission Bay and turn right?
Rocks are everywhere, you just have to locate them.

Reactions: Bottom Line
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
The seals have been bad and getting worse. thanks for posting your report. keep at it . calling it quits at 10 won't help . only rarely have I limited early. Plan on being out all night .

Reactions: duckbutter6a
Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2015
Name
Austin
Boat
The Santa Clara
The seals have been bad and getting worse. thanks for posting your report. keep at it . calling it quits at 10 won't help . only rarely have I limited early. Plan on being out all night .

Thanks, Doug. I was under the impression that there is often a crawl around dusk and then after that its relatively unpredicatable. Any particular reason you think later in the night is better?

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Last season the first two months of the season the crawl seemed later at night. Later in the season it seemed to be earlier just after sunset. I was catching bugs in LA harbor a hour before sunset towards the end.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Thanks, Doug. I was under the impression that there is often a crawl around dusk and then after that its relatively unpredicatable. Any particular reason you think later in the night is better?

It better your chances. With a less than 4 ft tide swing, they may crawl closer to slack. But you need to fish it going into and out of those tidal swings.

Sit tight by your floats and watch them carefully...When the tide changes it brings kelp and it catches on your rope and pulls your buoys down and drags them somewhere else. More people lose them that way and think someone has stolen it. lol.

photo 8.JPG

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console

Wow! Someone needs to shoot these seals, getting out of hand.

Upvote 0