Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Why am I posting this report?
Because I have to take the bad with good IMO, and vice versa.

Headed to the Freeway at 6PM, and arrived at our destination at 7PM.
Headed to spot 1369 and dropped 10 nets anticipating a bang fest.
Minutes after the 10th net went down I realized there were divers in the area.
Then all of a sudden 4 guys hop back on the dive boat and 4 more hop over, yes 8 divers on one boat. Sheeesh!
Decided quickly enough of this S#!+!!!!!!
Pulled all 10 nets after only being down 10 minutes for a handful of shorts.
Headed to spot 1A only to have the fog surround us 1/4 mile out. MFn FN fog!
Could barely see the running lights, anyway decided to drop the 10 nets in the pea soup fog!
Then splashing by an armada of Seals! WTF!
Kept the Seals at bay for the next 3 hours as we had a 5 gallon bucket of frozen MACS.
They never touched the bait in our nets! Ha!
At midnight as the fog kept rolling-in and rolling-out every 15 minutes, finally it just wore me down.
We ended the night with 3 nice legals, and 35 shorts.
Cleaned out the cages with the Seals exploding with each dump of the bait.

Legal - up to 3 pounds.
Nice Legal - Over 3 and under 5 pounds.
Very nice Legal - over 5 pounds and under 10 pounds.
Damn! - Over 10 pounds.

We tucked our tails and headed for home!
Sent all 3 bugs home with my hooping partner Bryan.

While it's always great to be on the water . . . I'd like to find the Meteorologist who submits the NOAA forecast for last Friday/Friday night.
If this is all it takes then I can predict sunrise and sunset. *[email protected]*_)!#@&_)!~()[email protected](

NOTE to self: Do not call Mother Nature an FN bitch again!

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Why am I posting this report?
Because I have to take the bad with good IMO, and vice versa.

Headed to the Freeway at 6PM, and arrived at our destination at 7PM.
Headed to spot 1369 and dropped 10 nets anticipating a bang fest.
Minutes after the 10th net went down I realized there were divers in the area.
Then all of a sudden 4 guys hop back on the dive boat and 4 more hop over, yes 8 divers on one boat. Sheeesh!
Decided quickly enough of this S#!+!!!!!!
Pulled all 10 nets after only being down 10 minutes for a handful of shorts.
Headed to spot 1A only to have the fog surround us 1/4 mile out. MFn FN fog!
Could barely see the running lights, anyway decided to drop the 10 nets in the pea soup fog!
Then splashing by an armada of Seals! WTF!
Kept the Seals at bay for the next 3 hours as we had a 5 gallon bucket of frozen MACS.
They never touched the bait in our nets! Ha!
At midnight as the fog kept rolling-in and rolling-out every 15 minutes, finally it just wore me down.
We ended the night with 3 nice legals, and 35 shorts.
Cleaned out the cages with the Seals exploding with each dump of the bait.

Legal - up to 3 pounds.
Nice Legal - Over 3 and under 5 pounds.
Very nice Legal - over 5 pounds and under 10 pounds.
Damn! - Over 10 pounds.

We tucked our tails and headed for home!
Sent all 3 bugs home with my hooping partner Bryan.

While it's always great to be on the water . . . I'd like to find the Meteorologist who submits the NOAA forecast for last Friday/Friday night.
If this is all it takes then I can predict sunrise and sunset. *[email protected]*_)!#@&_)!~()[email protected](

NOTE to self: Do not call Mother Nature an FN bitch again!
Just goes to show even the best out there have bad days. All the posts of limits..limits..limits makes all the lurkers think it's easy. We all know it's not easy.

Posts like these are very helpfull, shows the beginners that are having a rough start that the bugs just don't jump in the boat. I would love to post a bad trip report but I cant think of one haha

Seriously though I have had many bad ones and I was fortunate enough to have Flomar as my mentor way back when.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I no longer drop my bait back in the water when i pull the plug and head in. I put it into the trash at the dock. Screw the sealions no free meals from me.

yup!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Thank You mullet, Reel hip, 909MARIO, & Phat Boat for the feedback.
I think I can easily modify my routine and dump the bait elsewhere.
BTW, I enjoy listening to Louis Black. Perfect routine for this post.

Thank You. John.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Brilliant strategy on feeding the sea lions.Well not really,stupid idea if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Hi John, back from the dead? Have not seen a report from you in I don't know how long, although I seldom pay attention to bug reports. Glad you got the slow night out of the way, next time limits! All the best.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Brilliant strategy on feeding the sea lions.

Thank You!

2 other boats next to me were complaining their cages had been emptied out and physically thrashed and trashed by the Seals, while I did feed'em my cages were untouched, so from that perspective you're right . . . BRILLIANT!

Upvote 0

TheExterminater

Almost A Member
Jul 8, 2004
Los Angeles
Name
Jeffrey Vinquist
Boat
21' sea swirl
Hey john good to see your still around. I dont even pay attention to the weather guys anymore there wrong more the there right lol and the seals will still be there if ya feed them or not so if it keeps them from your nets feed away lol. ya ever come up to the bay anymore

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
Jim always nothing nice to say. Try bait tubes.No sea lions ever.Plj only has negative stuff to say always.Cant belive that they allow you to still post.You are bad for this web site . You are the reason why people dont like to post.

Reactions: ISLAND BOUND
Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Jim always nothing nice to say. Try bait tubes.No sea lions ever.Plj only has negative stuff to say always.Cant belive that they allow you to still post.You are bad for this web site . You are the reason why people dont like to post.
Yes, bait tubes are the way to go. I stopped using those crap promar cages a few years ago and guess what?? No more dog problems

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Before I stood in front of the drill press drilling a million holes in 40 homemade tubes so I could do back to back to back to back + nights when it's on, I lined/zip tied galvanived chicken wire inside the cages, leaving sharp poky wire sticking out where ever I could. Worked great also, went to tubes for the bak to back thing.

Reactions: Reel hip
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Before I stood in front of the drill press drilling a million holes in 40 homemade tubes so I could do back to back to back to back + nights when it's on, I lined/zip tied galvanived chicken wire inside the cages, leaving sharp poky wire sticking out where ever I could. Worked great also, went to tubes for the bak to back thing.

I could see how that could work for a few soaks as mentioned . Over time it wears out. Still good idea to give the dogs a little dental work. That's brilliant ! !!

Upvote 0

Fisha

skipper
Aug 3, 2006
Orange
Name
Dave
Boat
24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
We started zip tying our caged closed so we wouldn't keep pulling up empty cages. Cages are connected to the bottom of the net with stainless carabiners, to stainless rings on the bottom of the net. Seems to work pretty good

Upvote 0