DESTROYER
Aug 7, 2004
La Mesa
www.ballastpoint.com
Name
"DESTROYER"
Boat
22' Sea Fox Viper "Even Keel"
Launched around 7:00 with my buddy Andy Wright. Picked up a half scoop of fresh bait, loaded the traps and heading out to Ballast Point Area. This will be my 3rd year hooping and I'm still trying to figure it out. I've had more bad days than good. We ended up with 4 legal lobsters and about 15 shorts, 6 of which were an RCH short. Really wish I could figure this out. 2 trips and only 3 lobster tails in the freezer. Time to start exploring again because "My Spots" are not producing.

Reactions: Lundalakan
Upvote 0

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
Launched around 7:00 with my buddy Andy Wright. Picked up a half scoop of fresh bait, loaded the traps and heading out to Ballast Point Area. This will be my 3rd year hooping and I'm still trying to figure it out. I've had more bad days than good. We ended up with 4 legal lobsters and about 15 shorts, 6 of which were an RCH short. Really wish I could figure this out. 2 trips and only 3 lobster tails in the freezer. Time to start exploring again because "My Spots" are not producing.
Be patient,we had a poker game last nite,that lasted till about 10:30,then we headed out.We got 9 for the effort.Our first 3 times through the nets had us at 1,and our last 2 times through got us the last 8,but it was 5;30 this morning.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

Let me know if I can be of some help Matt.

Reactions: Matt Moyer
Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Never stop exploring. 4 legals - I've done better, I've done worse. We always fish during soaks so even if they won't crawl we have a great time. Found a new bass hot spot last week while hooping. Made the whole trip very worthwhile even though bugging was slow. Good luck!!

Upvote 0

RenoG

Mission Bay - Campland 25' Larson Cabin Boat
Sep 2, 2016
Poway, CA
www.renog.info
Name
Reno G
Boat
Sea Sea Rider
Wait, did you say half a scoop of fresh bait like you bought sardines from the bait barge? That's expensive for lobstering; and since they primarily eat dead animals you might be better with stinky old rotten mackerel or bonito; most people use the stink bait or old bait from what I've seen.

Upvote 0

Matt Moyer

DESTROYER
Aug 7, 2004
La Mesa
www.ballastpoint.com
Name
"DESTROYER"
Boat
22' Sea Fox Viper "Even Keel"
Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes @RenoG We chop them up really well and seem to do better. I've heard salmon heads, bonito, etc. etc. so if anyone has good ideas I'm all ears. @Sherm lets go partner. It's been way too long and I know you have always done well on the kayak. I keep trying to figure out the moon phases and how it affect them. Seems like if there is too much tidal movement it's impossible to find them. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Upvote 0

RenoG

Sep 2, 2016
Poway, CA
www.renog.info
Name
Reno G
Boat
Sea Sea Rider
Over on another board they have a few guys who hit the lobster pretty hard.
They use mackerel or bonito (depending what they just caught);
They usually line structure or drop-offs, PVC Pipe with holes in it to keep the sea lions away but keep the stinky fish juices flowing, they never let the traps sit more than 30 minutes.... but I'm not experienced might be better to see what the experts can suggest.

Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
Wait, did you say half a scoop of fresh bait like you bought sardines from the bait barge? That's expensive for lobstering; and since they primarily eat dead animals you might be better with stinky old rotten mackerel or bonito; most people use the stink bait or old bait from what I've seen.

I've had the opposite experience. I've always done better with fresh bait , frozen or not.
Fish heads, bonito, carcass from cleaning etc. I'll usually jig a sabiki or drag around a scrap of squid while bugging and catch macs to supplement my supply

Upvote 0

RenoG

Sep 2, 2016
Poway, CA
www.renog.info
Name
Reno G
Boat
Sea Sea Rider
You bring the nets, I'll bring the bait, beer, and the boat.

Upvote 0

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
Yeah........too much tide movement can be a problem in the bay. Can't get out this week but let's see what I can do next week Matt.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
If you want crabs...use old stinky bait....you want lobsters, use chunked fresh dead

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
About bait: years ago, back when I was still catching lobster off of docks, I observed a group pulling lobsters when no one else around them were catching anything.

They were using shrimp.

Not saying it'll work every time, but it helps to experiment.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Caught them on fresh dead or frozen. When the tide is flowing right and your in the right spot youll get them. Sometimes it may take all night.

Upvote 0