4bruce

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
Want to go lobsters fishing from shore with lobster net. I know a spot all I see is red lobster when high tide. I want to know is it legal, also I know you don’t need a fishing license fishing from shore.

Levi Santana

“Newbie” is correct
Apr 1, 2019
Ventura County
Name
Levi Santana
Boat
None
You actually do need a fishing license when fishing from shore. Unless you’re fishing from a pier (not to be confused with a dock).

Reactions: surfgoose

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Read the CA DFG rules.
At the end of the day, that is what you need to explain your answer to any question that might be presented to you by officials.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Lee, like Wally said, you need to read and be clear about the legal way to fish for lobster. Any commercially valuable critter like lobster is not something to casually go after. The fines are really large and the courts are not lenient unless you play exactly by the rules that the state has established.

And it applies to you and anyone that accompanies you. If your pal goes with you "just to watch" and ends up touching the line to the net helpfully, he gets a ticket too. Some things have some leeway, but market-value items like lobster don't.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
You also need a gauge. Always a good idea to check the measurement to make sure the gauge is to spec.

Lobster is the second most enforced fishery in the state. First is Abalone.