DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I have a friend who went down to his slip today to grab a couple of bugs from the end of last season stored in his bait receiver and a couple of them had eggs on their tails, and one had already released her eggs only the holding material was still under the tail. As you can see the larger flappers on the females really protect the eggs before the spawn. My friend said he put the bug back in his receiver and pulled an unlucky male out instead. You've seen plastered females now check out one that's knocked up!

LOBSTER EGGS 7-3-21.jpg

Reactions: Tunahead

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Agreed, keeping them alive in a tank, or reciever, is probably a good way to keep the tank clean, but a bust waiting to happen! Too expensive to mess with IMO!

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    I wouldn't be concerned about over limits.I'd be concerned about possessing a live lobster in my bait receiver out of season.
    Couldn't find a violation in the regs; lobsters must be kept in a whole condition until immediately prepared for consumption.

• Haha
    Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Damn you really are putting your buddy on blast. Sounds like you are really trying to get your buddy busted.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    You keep this up and your buddy will be getting knocked up in jail... He is going to get a couple doses of vitamin C and D.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    When I started reading your thread at first I thought you meant to say Freezer instead of Receiver. Your not only asking for your friend to get a ticket, Maybe a little ride downtown after they seize his boat and receiver :shake:!! My guess is if he gets popped, The ticket will reference something to the affect that it came out of the water in closed season, End of story.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Don‘t admit to transporting it alive. That’s a crime. You have found a fascinating legal loop hole. I think commercials store them past season in quantity but their always getting a pass on rules.

Upvote 0

ahidog

10000 atta boys
  • Sep 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
    Stirring the pot again I see 😜😂🤪

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Interesting loop hole. It does not say that you can not possess your limit alive. Most people keep theirs in their freezers. I am sure they will find something though. That is what attorneys do.

Upvote 0

salty nuts

• Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    Couldn't find a violation in the regs; lobsters must be kept in a whole condition until immediately prepared for consumption.
    Good luck explaining that one. I would delete this whole thread. Ticket would be issued no question.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Good luck explaining that one. I would delete this whole thread. Ticket would be issued no question.
    It might be a loop hole. The regs do not say you can not possess a lobster out of season. What is the difference between a pen or a freezer in regards to possesion. The regs say the lobster must be kept whole. It does not say where the lobster may be kept. The freezer or a pen is not clear. Unless there is something else in the regs someplace else about "controlling" wildlife.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I am told the commercial places that sell lobsters alive cannot keep them after the season ends for more than 3 days.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Went fishing down off IB for zilch this morning. Got checked by the Coast Guard & US F&W as we were close to the MLPA. Went up to finish the day in SD Bay and saw a DFW Warden writing a ticket to a boat in the bay; he then promptly chased us down before we could set up a drift. Very nice and cordial, we had iron on a couple of rods and he asked up if we caught any yellows and we told him we got skunked in IB. He asked to see our empty cooler and that was his only concern. So I asked him for my friend if it was illegal to store up to 7 lobsters in a salt water receiver after the season had ended and he said there was nothing in the regulations that he knew of that prohibited it. He called his Supervisor to verify but he didn't make contact; he took down my number and told me he would text or call me with the verified answer. He did say however Commercial entities have 30 days after the season closes to sell all their live lobster.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0