PENN
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Debated posting this, but here goes.

My dad and a friend went hooping last night along a local breakwall. Long story short, wrapped a roap in the prop, lost power, ended up on the rocks. Boat rolled and they ended up one in the water and the other on the rocks. Lifeguard plucked them out of the water. They both are fine except for some scrapes and sore muscles, but the boat is gone.

It happened very fast. Know where your life jackets are at, have them readily available, and stay safe out there. Hooping is fun, but can turn into life and death in an instant. My dad has been hooping for several years. It can happen to anyone.

As for a report, they had two legals before the incident occurred. And yes, those two legals would have escaped when the boat rolled.

Upvote 0

bugman

Almost A Member
Oct 7, 2004
san diego
Name
bob sciacqua
Boat
15' gregor baja , 17' Boston Whaler "Bella Serra"

My dad and a friend went hooping last night along a local breakwall. Long story short, wrapped a roap in the prop, lost power, ended up on the rocks. Boat rolled and they ended up one in the water and the other on the rocks. Lifeguard plucked them out of the water. They both are fine except for some scrapes and sore muscles, but the boat is gone.

It happened very fast. Know where your life jackets are at, have them readily available, and stay safe out there. Hooping is fun, but can turn into life and death in an instant. My dad has been hooping for several years. It can happen to anyone.

As for a report, they had two legals before the incident occurred. And yes, those two legals would have escaped when the boat rolled.
Sorry to hear this. WEAR YOUR LIFE VEST !

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Glad to here they both are safe. We had the same exact scenario happen to us about 5years ago on a neighbor's boat.

If we didn't have four people on board, two trying to unwrap the rope from the prop and two of us pushing off the rocks with push poles we would have suffered the same fate.

That experience actually drove me to install a complete windlass anchor system so I could easily drop anchor FAST!

Upvote 0

MOBass

Dec 2, 2004
Ozark
Name
Thomas
Boat
18'2", Nitro, 882DC
Good of you to post and very good to hear that everyone is safe. It helps remind people to stay aware and have a plan if things go sideways. My dad went in the drink, early Spring in MO several years ago. Air temp 32, water 45. A lot of the extra crap I haul around and never use got put to use that day.

Upvote 0

fishforfun2

Hunter Gatherer
Feb 5, 2005
Redondo Beach
Name
Dale
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 18
Thanks for reminding use how quick things can happen out there and to keep a knife around etc. I go solo alot and got myself a autotether that will cut my motor off if I fall over,now I need a step or handle to help me get back in if needed.Be Safe

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Glad they are ok. Did the boat sink, or were they able to salvage it it.

What harbor were they fishing?

Upvote 0

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
Wow, sorry to hear that. I'm glad they are okay.

j

Upvote 0

jspana

Cali*Co
Jul 28, 2014
laverne
Name
Joe
Boat
Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
we had a close call off clemente peir right after my avatar pic was taken.. had some big swells push us over our own line which in turn wrapped the pot around some kelp and anchored our stern up swell.. we took a few right over the back of the boat and almost sank it right there, the kelp broke and we got the rope out and saved us, the pot. and the boat. there was a foot or more of water in the boat but thats it.. 2 more waves and we would have been swimming for sure. We have since ditched the little lake boat for a WA cuddy with a quick drain deck and upped the safety standards for sure.. sorry to hear about the boat, just glad everyone is ok

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

All I can say is I'm glad everyone is okay, a boat can be replaced, not a life.

John.

Reactions: 16Klamath
Upvote 0

holy mackerel

Natural Born Killer
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
18ft Wellcraft, Several Kayaks
That is scary glad everyone is ok, I have had that happen twice, once on a buddy's boat, away from danger. And once alone on my boat, zuniga jetty, 100 other guys around, ripping current. Both times, at first tried cutting away rope on prop, couldn't free it, then popped throttle in reverse, and spun out rope from prop. Not saying this will work always, but kinda seems to make sense to unwrap. You just got to do it enough to free, and not wrap the other way.

Upvote 0

UnReel

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Wow saw the boat accident report on the news this morning before going surf fishing. Going thru that had to be some scary shit !!! Glad everyone is safe Glendon.

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Heres why I hoop on a 14' skiff, tiller steer, raised transom, longshaft ,bombproof honda outboard....where I hoop, it can be three rows deep of nets, easy to miss an unlit buoy of a hoop netter, even easier to miss an always unlit buoy of a commertial buoy.,
I have stupidly, absolutely my own fault, wrapped my prop on my own shit more than I'd like to admit. Each time I wrapped, it took less than 45 seconds to either lean over and unwrap, or tilt up and unwrap. And I'm talking posienden adventure ,waves breaking over the breakwall, 5-6'' at 8 conditions or worse.
We always wear jackets, whistle attached to each, floating VHF attached to mine.
Anchor in a bucket always ready to deploy which we did once when the fuel line mysteriously disconnected from the tank when new, motor died, 20 seconds or less to deploy knowing we were in trouble. less than two min. to figure out what went wrong and correct.
Having a first mate you trust with your life is a mandatory plus also. NO attitudes on the water at night !!
Kudos to you guys that hoop in bigger boats, but comfort aside, I would rather hoop in my 14'er than my Cabo 22'er unless I'm in an area with NO one around.
Hooping is a messy, bang your boat up, bring trash and kelp up deal.
Could not imagine wrapping my prop on the Cabo, on a bracket, at night, off a breakwall. My 14'er is expendable when push comes to shove, but not my Cabo is not.....
Be safe and remember, a few bugs are not worth your life,

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
I heard about this this afternoon, I am very happy to hear that every one is safe and unharmed. I won't fish that spot with my boat anymore just because there is no time to recover if you wrap a prop with wind and swell.

You have to have a top notch crew you trust, even then it can happen in a hurry.

Keeping an anchor hanging over ready to drop CAN help, I just prefer the open water spots.

Upvote 0

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
Glad to hear you're all safe. Just my 2-cents... I take several long range trips every year. I have to take pills due to spine surgery a couple of years ago. Doesn't seem to impact my balance, but why take a chance. I finally got one of those inflatable life vests at basspro. Less than $100. If I fall in, it automatically inflates. Otherwise, doesn't get in the way of my fishing....even if I am throwing iron. Might work for hooping lobsters... Not sure. I've never done that. Might be worth a check. Another benefit, my wife feels a lot better when I wear the vest on my trips. Some of the other passengers yank my chain about it.... But just like your accident.... You never know when something might happen and it doesn't take much to improve your chances of getting through it ok.

Reactions: 909MARIO
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Glad they are safe. It's just a boat. You're loved ones are still here. On the water, wear the pfd. Pretty simple. Lots of us do it. Maybe takes 2-3 trips before it's a habit...

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I try to always have an out. Just like driving on the freeway expecting the unknown .

I'm glad everyone was safe .It is a good point to remind how dangerous hooping can be. Mix with cold, dark,fatigue and alcohol it can be deadly.

Thanks for posting

Upvote 0
May 20, 2014
Name
Miguel iracheta
Boat
31' trophy
This just happened to me in San Pedro. Thank god I had a box cutter razor on me and quickly cut all the line off the prop. Was about 4' from the rocks already. Was just waiting to hear the boat hit the rocks. Was able to cut it very quick with that razor blade. Knife wouldn't of done it. Stay safe and prepared!

Upvote 0