2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
i'd just like to say thanks to the dooshbag that took my hoops last nite. to me its only money, which luckily I'm fortunate enough to replace. but for the 2 kids on board (8 and 5) who got to stay up late, and chase lobster, had their night cut short. so who ever it was enjoy it, and maybe some day i'll run in to you on a job site while your trying to steal my tools. good luck to you dumbass.

Jhandyman

Dude
Oct 21, 2012
South OC / California
Name
Jim
Boat
16' Valco
That sucks! I had that happen to me on my first trip just this September. The forum tried to tell me a seal took them, but there's no way. Some people are suck D- bags

jim

dkd711

Skunk Master...
Jun 7, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Duke
Boat
"WFO SKUNK"
Sucks to hear that! Did you see the type of boat? Post up the details if you do so others can keep an eye out.

Btw, I've recovered a few nets that pop up at low,low tide due to ropes being too short when the tide comes in and sinking out.

Don't know if that could have happened here?

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
bw montauk
I had 2 fucking seals pull my nets out 150 yards from where I initially dropped em. I bet they are out there somewhere unless there was someone close enough to u that took em

hotrail20

Intrepid 200 LB Club
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
The seals can move them, as well as ropes being too short and them being pulled into the deep, I have never had anyone steal our hoops, my advice would be light the buoys up and STAY NEAR YOUR HOOPS we always do regardless of LB or anywhere else

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dog Beach Mostly
Name
Mike
Boat
Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
I hate fuckin thieves , that being said numerous things could have happened how far away did you go ?
Ive only lost about 4 hoops in 7 years I'm pretty sure mine were ran over prop cut by some knucklehead. Nothing like catching a thief that's when the real fun starts !

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
i went out this morning and literally drove around for 3 hrs looking for my nets. i don't think it was seals.

whammy

Hook Up!
Dec 18, 2005
Huntington Beach
Name
Chris
Boat
2200 XL Pathfinder
we lost 2 nets on saturday as well. Not sure if it was the seals or this small boat that was right on top of our string of nets as we were setting our last pot

bliss

Jun 23, 2009
Torrance
Name
Brandon
Boat
22 key west bay reef
Watch Craigslist. If they were dumb enough to steal them they'll be dumb enough to get caught selling them

teddya2

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 30, 2007
san diego
Name
teddya2
Boat
invader 20- Bikini Bottom
I can see losing a couple to drifting kelp and seals but not all of them, that sucks, how many did you drop/lose......last night????

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
2 of them, now i just have to be more diligent and baby sit them. didn't know that this is what its come to. lame society we've become.

Team Ball's Out

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
2 of them, now i just have to be more diligent and baby sit them. didn't know that this is what its come to. lame society we've become.

I have a few lay flats I will donate. you just need to pick them up. Fucken thieves are useless like the Clown president.

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Kelp,current,run over and not enough rope are most likely the reasons for your lost nets.

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
I have a few lay flats I will donate. you just need to pick them up. Fucken thieves are useless like the Clown president.
i totally appreciate it and thanks, i can replace what was "lost". i'm more bent out of shape about the principal of the matter, not the cost. fuckin irritating!

MT1

Jul 5, 2013
Jamul Wetlands, So Cal Diego County
Name
Barnacle Bob
Boat
Bell Boy
We set our hoops up with a number and the flashing LED's. It sure makes it easy to keep an eye on them. A quick glance and count and you know if one is missing right away I guess... Never lost one yet.

Werfless

Hugh Mann
Sep 15, 2012
The county
Name
Hugh Mann
Boat
Plastic Chariot
some idiots will just run over your stuff.. period.. I've always made mine more visible with a cheap LED flashlight from 99 cents only.. just gently spraypaint the inside of a large gatorade or similar bottle (mouth big enough to insert flashlight), turn it on, and 5 LEDs worth of light for MANY hours is visible from quite a distance, as well as offering a little extra buoyancy.. have successfully counted my 4 string from almost 1/4 mile in open ocean this way according to gps (was curious)..

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
Ok...a few questions.

Did you have your nets lit up?

Did you keep them in your view. I don't mean sitting on them, but at least with in your view, as in a hundred yards, or even several hundred yards?

Did you see any boats in your area, were your nets were set?

So far, IMO, from what you have written...I say your nets were lost, not stolen. Seals, tide level, or run over.

I have been hooping for six years. Long Beach, Catalina, Dana Point MDR....and I have never had any one mess with my nets.

I HAVE had my nets run over, I HAVE had my nets drug out by dogs, I HAVE had my nets drift away due to tides and current. I HAVE had my nets sink out due to short ropes, and not a big enough buoy. I HAVE had people drop on top of me. I HAVE had people return my drifting nets. I HAVE wrapped my prop, but I have never had a net stolen.

Toyorider

Nov 9, 2012
Lawndale
Name
Ray
Boat
Cattle Boats
It was a zoo out there yesterday on the inside. Not much current but the dogs were out. I did see a tiny aluminum with barely any lights and some unattended nets but most people were sitting on there's.

winder

Jun 3, 2008
Compton
Name
Terry
Boat
n/a
It was a zoo out there yesterday on the inside. Not much current but the dogs were out. I did see a tiny aluminum with barely any lights and some unattended nets but most people were sitting on there's.
YEA.. don't ASSUME . You are throwing it over the side into the water after all.

ISLAND BOUND

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Ok...a few questions.

Did you have your nets lit up?

Did you keep them in your view. I don't mean sitting on them, but at least with in your view, as in a hundred yards, or even several hundred yards?

Did you see any boats in your area, were your nets were set?

So far, IMO, from what you have written...I say your nets were lost, not stolen. Seals, tide level, or run over.

I have been hooping for six years. Long Beach, Catalina, Dana Point MDR....and I have never had any one mess with my nets.

I HAVE had my nets run over, I HAVE had my nets drug out by dogs, I HAVE had my nets drift away due to tides and current. I HAVE had my nets sink out due to short ropes, and not a big enough buoy. I HAVE had people drop on top of me. I HAVE had people return my drifting nets. I HAVE wrapped my prop, but I have never had a net stolen.
I agree... I have never had a net stolen, I watch my gear like a hawk and once saw a guy near my nets in daylight before the first pull. I was on in a second and asked him what the F he was doing as he had my float in his hand. Was not a nice conversation , but you have to watch your stuff out there.

Dont come on here whining about nets that you think were stolen if you werent watching them, more than likely they drifted out etc.

Be more carefull next time