mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Actually its very simple ! each angler can possess 5 short 24" or less bonito.Page 38 of your DFW ocean regulations booklet.I dont think it matters what you do with them,eat them,use them for bait,feed them to your cat.

Then why was the so called expert saying you could only have 5, even with more than one hooper?

captjeffjones

Embellishment detector.
    Jun 6, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Captain Jeff Jones
    Boat
    Depends on which client....
    Then why was the so called expert saying you could only have 5, even with more than one hooper?

The story goes like this: One guy and 5 bonito chopped into chunks. 5 hoop nets deployed, each with bait cages with bonito in them, and some leftover bonito chunks in a bucket for the next round of pulls. DFG agent cited the guy for being over limit of bonito, because each bait cage was considered 1 bonito, and the chunks in the bucket were viewed as over limits on the bonito. As a side note, there were chunked sardines mixed in the the bonito. Please, show me in the regs where it says "one bait cage = one bonito." The point? Some (not all) of the DFG agents are creating revenue instead of protecting the resource. Simple.

Saluki

May 10, 2003
    HB
    Name
    Mika Tan
    Boat
    "MoorZilla"
    The story goes like this: One guy and 5 bonito chopped into chunks. 5 hoop nets deployed, each with bait cages with bonito in them, and some leftover bonito chunks in a bucket for the next round of pulls. DFG agent cited the guy for being over limit of bonito, because each bait cage was considered 1 bonito, and the chunks in the bucket were viewed as over limits on the bonito. As a side note, there were chunked sardines mixed in the the bonito. Please, show me in the regs where it says "one bait cage = one bonito." The point? Some (not all) of the DFG agents are creating revenue instead of protecting the resource. Simple.

What he said.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    The point? Some (not all) of the DFG agents are creating revenue instead of protecting the resource. Simple.

Ah ha! Now we get to the heart of the matter (as if we all did not know it all along). A bunch of technical laws designed to generate money, without really helping protect lobsters. Filling out report cards prior to fishing will ensure crustacial infestations for future generations. Got it!

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    What so-called expert ? heres an idea if anybody is worried about over limits of bonito.Cut the heads off ! put em in a bucket or 1 per bait cage.Two guys could have 10 heads and be within the law correct ? of course if you have a 5 gallon bucket full of bonito parts this may not work.I thought this was about not filling out a lobster card not bonito limits.

NO4NMTL

Feb 27, 2008
    Orange County
    Name
    Buddy
    Boat
    205 Conquest
    Ah ha! Now we get to the heart of the matter (as if we all did not know it all along). A bunch of technical laws designed to generate money, without really helping protect lobsters. Filling out report cards prior to fishing will ensure crustacial infestations for future generations. Got it!

i feel for you having to go to court in LB ive been there a few times for lame tickets on my bike going to court there is
    like being a minority on trial in germany 1939 your guilty before you even enter the room

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I too see and hear that the DFG is cutting no slack for those who make honest mistakes while trying hard to follow the regs to the "T". One client of mine got a citation for not having a salmon punch card while hooping for lobsters. WHAT? Yea, using salmon heads from the Asian market for lobster bait. Another got a citation for using bonito as lobster bait, it was for over limits on the fish. Its seems the DFG has decided each bait cage equals (1) bonito, even if the are cut up and only a portion of a bonito is used. The client had less than limits of bonito for bait, BTW. I run boats for divers all the time and I do not dive. I do however bring a lobster card and measure devise to be legal. With limits of bugs for each diver on board (but not myself) I was warned that each limit of lobster must be kept separate and labeled for each diver, so the Wardens can see the divers are not catching a limit for me as well. That seemed pretty BS to me. Anyone that does not see the problem here is blind.

Certainly a little picky for the salmon heads!

Technically they could write you up because of the size limits on Bonito depending on how many you had.

Regs are a lot more complicated than when I was a kid. I'm not a diver but I used to drive for my diver buddies I just carried a mask and fins - hard for them to prove that I didn't get them myself! IIRC starting next year they will not issue you a new lobster card if you don't turn in last years.

Print the regs - read them - carry them with you. Include some of the rock fish ID photos if your bottom fishing.

WTG to the OP catching the bugs with his boy!!

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    No, yer not blind, you just don't read carefully. Go back and read what I wrote again.

I have no problem with any law enforcement, at all. I have many friends and even family in law enforcement. I think they have a respectable and tough job to do, dealing with idiots all the time. Its when honest, hard working, law abiding citizens get targeted that I have no problem voicing my opinion. It used to be that a DFG agent had to have a degree in one of the marine sciences, especially if they were going to work in the ocean. Now, a simple series of law classes gets you the green uniform, and these news agents have no idea what they are doing most of the time. Changes in regs regarding skin patches and certain fish that cannot be filleted is a direct result of this. Catch a 60# seabass and fillet it, then cut the fillets into 4 inch thick chunks so they fit in a zip lock bag and you get a ticket. YES! That is the letter of the law, but aren't they (DFG) supposed to be protecting the resource and stopping anglers from keeping shorts? Stopping poachers and educating those that want to learn? Obviously a 4" thick chunk of seabass if from a legal fish? Right? My complaint is about how things have changed for the worst, and instead of protecting the resource its about creating revenue. There are still a few really cool agents out there today, and when I talk to them they know what time it is. Its no secret.

I get it, the card was not filled out and it says right on the card what needs to be done. Its the agents option to do whatever needs to be done. Not arguing that at all. Just saying the days of warning from nice guys in green uniforms are just about gone. What a bummer, fishing is not a crime.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you. There are still some good DGF wardens out there. Just by my own observations I think that some of the "over enforcement" may well come from the fact that there are a lot less wardens that have a lifetime background in the hunting/fishing sports. Well that and the fact that you can't teach common sense...

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    TH
    Boat
    17' Avon Searider
    Now, a simple series of law classes gets you the green uniform, and these news agents have no idea what they are doing most of the time.
    I'm sure that they'll love to hear that. Full academy just like any other peace officer in the state plus all the specialty classes.

"simple series of law classes"....right.

Corndog

Landlocked
    Sep 22, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Name
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Similar too Salmon cards up north. Easy to forget when your establishing a spot on the riffle at 5 in the morning in the pitch black

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    26 striper White Knuckles
    Bonito is a sport fish, they can also get you for wate of a sport caught fish.

Best way to avoid these problems is to use large chunks of mackeral, that way they can clearly see what you are using if they ask you to pull up a net to check your bait.

rivertake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 28, 2008
    Hoopin since
    Name
    LOBSTER
    Boat
    CATCHER
    No, yer not blind, you just don't read carefully. Go back and read what I wrote again.

I have no problem with any law enforcement, at all. I have many friends and even family in law enforcement. I think they have a respectable and tough job to do, dealing with idiots all the time. Its when honest, hard working, law abiding citizens get targeted that I have no problem voicing my opinion. It used to be that a DFG agent had to have a degree in one of the marine sciences, especially if they were going to work in the ocean. Now, a simple series of law classes gets you the green uniform, and these news agents have no idea what they are doing most of the time. Changes in regs regarding skin patches and certain fish that cannot be filleted is a direct result of this. Catch a 60# seabass and fillet it, then cut the fillets into 4 inch thick chunks so they fit in a zip lock bag and you get a ticket. YES! That is the letter of the law, but aren't they (DFG) supposed to be protecting the resource and stopping anglers from keeping shorts? Stopping poachers and educating those that want to learn? Obviously a 4" thick chunk of seabass if from a legal fish? Right? My complaint is about how things have changed for the worst, and instead of protecting the resource its about creating revenue. There are still a few really cool agents out there today, and when I talk to them they know what time it is. Its no secret.

I get it, the card was not filled out and it says right on the card what needs to be done. Its the agents option to do whatever needs to be done. Not arguing that at all. Just saying the days of warning from nice guys in green uniforms are just about gone. What a bummer, fishing is not a crime.

LIKE.

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
    United States of America
    Name
    A
    Boat
    Did not see this mentioned above but every person participating in hooping for lobster needs their own measuring device. If I understand this correctly, if there is four participating in hooping on a boat, you need to have four gauges.

bigeye2k

CAPTAIN
    Jun 22, 2005
    Samsun Turkey
    Name
    Erol
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    There are many regulations for bugging. No lobsters dumped on the deck to count. shorts must be released directly from the nets. Fill out report card prior to fishing. One gauge for each angler. and so on and so forth. To many rules to mention.

Timmo

Feb 18, 2013
    Westminster
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    None
    Bummer, I was out at oceanside pier opening night, and had the same problem. Luckily I caught a break and didn't get cited, I explained that it was my first time hoop netting and I didn't catch anything, if I had he would have cited me for it. He then showed me that it says that on the lobster card. Good luck during the rest of the season.

Same here. We came back to the launch ramp (in Long Beach) and were asked to see the card, which were not filled out. We only got a warning; maybe because we didn't catch any.

Zeke

Oct 7, 2007
    So Cal.
    Name
    Zeke
    Boat
    Sunk
    If its a misdeameanor tell them you would like to take it to trail. The county does not want to spend the time and effort trying this type of case. TRY IT! See what they say when you check in for court. Be super friendly and polite. They may offer you a sweet deal. You can always change your mind.

flyinverted

If it floats, flys or fornicates, RENT IT.
  • Apr 24, 2012
    Fullerton, CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Trojan F32
    It's your boat, and when they board you, there better be at least one life vest for everyone on-board INCLUDING your new passenger. It's a great trick they use at the river all the time. I haven't seen or heard of it in the ocean, but don't let them board if you don't have a vest for them or they're not wearing one!

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    It's your boat, and when they board you, there better be at least one life vest for everyone on-board INCLUDING your new passenger. It's a great trick they use at the river all the time. I haven't seen or heard of it in the ocean, but don't let them board if you don't have a vest for them or they're not wearing one!

Sounds like entrapment to me.

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    I too see and hear that the DFG is cutting no slack for those who make honest mistakes while trying hard to follow the regs to the "T". One client of mine got a citation for not having a salmon punch card while hooping for lobsters. WHAT? Yea, using salmon heads from the Asian market for lobster bait. Another got a citation for using bonito as lobster bait, it was for over limits on the fish. Its seems the DFG has decided each bait cage equals (1) bonito, even if the are cut up and only a portion of a bonito is used. The client had less than limits of bonito for bait, BTW. I run boats for divers all the time and I do not dive. I do however bring a lobster card and measure devise to be legal. With limits of bugs for each diver on board (but not myself) I was warned that each limit of lobster must be kept separate and labeled for each diver, so the Wardens can see the divers are not catching a limit for me as well. That seemed pretty BS to me. Anyone that does not see the problem here is blind.

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    I can just see it now....... my kid is going to start coming home from school with homework reading......

1." Johnny was on his dads boat with his friend Jimmy..... Johnny catches 5 small bonito, Jimmy catches 4 small Bonito and dad catches 6 small Bonito. How many Bonito can they come home with legally?

2. If they decide to go lobster fishing and use the Bonito for bait, now how many can the have in possession?

3. If they decide to go shark fishing and use the Bonito for bait, now how many can they have in possession?

:D :D :D

The unknown fisherman:p:

you beat me to it LOL LOL LOL

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Hoopnetting has become too risky,too many simple rules to follow.Stop now or become a target for law enforcement to create revenue for the state.That is all.

Latest posts