captjeffjones

Embellishment detector.
Jun 6, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Captain Jeff Jones
Boat
Depends on which client....
I too see and hear that the DFG is cutting no slack for those who make honest mistakes while trying hard to follow the regs to the "T". One client of mine got a citation for not having a salmon punch card while hooping for lobsters. WHAT? Yea, using salmon heads from the Asian market for lobster bait. Another got a citation for using bonito as lobster bait, it was for over limits on the fish. Its seems the DFG has decided each bait cage equals (1) bonito, even if the are cut up and only a portion of a bonito is used. The client had less than limits of bonito for bait, BTW. I run boats for divers all the time and I do not dive. I do however bring a lobster card and measure devise to be legal. With limits of bugs for each diver on board (but not myself) I was warned that each limit of lobster must be kept separate and labeled for each diver, so the Wardens can see the divers are not catching a limit for me as well. That seemed pretty BS to me. Anyone that does not see the problem here is blind.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    So.......how many bugs did you get?

Actually, we ended up with 5 nice size bugs and released about 20 shorts. Most expensive lobster dinner ever!
    Here is a pic of limits my son Sean and I got back in early march. Mike

DSCN0948.jpg

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I too see and hear that the DFG is cutting no slack for those who make honest mistakes while trying hard to follow the regs to the "T". One client of mine got a citation for not having a salmon punch card while hooping for lobsters. WHAT? Yea, using salmon heads from the Asian market for lobster bait. Another got a citation for using bonito as lobster bait, it was for over limits on the fish. Its seems the DFG has decided each bait cage equals (1) bonito, even if the are cut up and only a portion of a bonito is used. The client had less than limits of bonito for bait, BTW. I run boats for divers all the time and I do not dive. I do however bring a lobster card and measure devise to be legal. With limits of bugs for each diver on board (but not myself) I was warned that each limit of lobster must be kept separate and labeled for each diver, so the Wardens can see the divers are not catching a limit for me as well. That seemed pretty BS to me. Anyone that does not see the problem here is blind.
    I guess im blind,how is not filling out your card an honest mistake ? i would call it a careless mistake.Doesnt it say on the card that you need to fill it out before you fish ? oh yeah more bashing of DFW .The regulations in place are pretty cut and dry,you dont want a ticket dont break the rules.

Horndog

Captain Experiment
    Jun 19, 2004
    San Pedro Ca.
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Horndog
    The one I'm waiting to see, is after midnight someone gets cited for not filling out new lines for the new day. Pretty easy to nod off and not have it done at 12:00AM if you're sitting on the anchor. DFG pulls up and bingo, here's your ticket.

It just appears that this is one of the laws the government is choosing to enforce, so we need to go slower so we don't make a mistake. Something like bringing someone new on a trip can throw off our whole game. First time out they are excited and have a million questions, by the time you get settled in to you're routine, you've forgotten something simple like filling out the card.

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    26 striper White Knuckles

WOW!!! I guess it may be best to save the receipt from whatever store you buy them from, why would you need a punch card if you buy it? Same with bonita you may buy.

I wont use bonito as bait for this reason and think salmon heads suck anyway, so for me it mackeral and sardines if I have them, no limits on either.

OP, did you have any Lobster on board when they checked you? I ask because if I was to get rolled up on after I dropped my nets and I forgot to fill out the card first I would tell them I was crab fishing.

F.T.W.

Nov 6, 2013
    New Hampshire and SoCal
    Name
    Trav
    Boat
    Chug
    You think joe fish cop would have just showed you where to fill it out and said have a nice day. Thanks for the heads up

captjeffjones

Embellishment detector.
    Jun 6, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Captain Jeff Jones
    Boat
    Depends on which client....
    I guess im blind,how is not filling out your card an honest mistake ? i would call it a careless mistake.Doesnt it say on the card that you need to fill it out before you fish ? oh yeah more bashing of DFW .The regulations in place are pretty cut and dry,you dont want a ticket dont break the rules.

No, yer not blind, you just don't read carefully. Go back and read what I wrote again.

I have no problem with any law enforcement, at all. I have many friends and even family in law enforcement. I think they have a respectable and tough job to do, dealing with idiots all the time. Its when honest, hard working, law abiding citizens get targeted that I have no problem voicing my opinion. It used to be that a DFG agent had to have a degree in one of the marine sciences, especially if they were going to work in the ocean. Now, a simple series of law classes gets you the green uniform, and these news agents have no idea what they are doing most of the time. Changes in regs regarding skin patches and certain fish that cannot be filleted is a direct result of this. Catch a 60# seabass and fillet it, then cut the fillets into 4 inch thick chunks so they fit in a zip lock bag and you get a ticket. YES! That is the letter of the law, but aren't they (DFG) supposed to be protecting the resource and stopping anglers from keeping shorts? Stopping poachers and educating those that want to learn? Obviously a 4" thick chunk of seabass if from a legal fish? Right? My complaint is about how things have changed for the worst, and instead of protecting the resource its about creating revenue. There are still a few really cool agents out there today, and when I talk to them they know what time it is. Its no secret.

I get it, the card was not filled out and it says right on the card what needs to be done. Its the agents option to do whatever needs to be done. Not arguing that at all. Just saying the days of warning from nice guys in green uniforms are just about gone. What a bummer, fishing is not a crime.

dkd711

Skunk Master...
    Jun 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Duke
    Boat
    "WFO SKUNK"
    Every time I step on a boat to pull nets, we all fill out the location and type of tackle used before bait goes in the cages.

To the OP.

I fill out every person's cards on my boat before we leave the dock, and before we move to a different spot and lock the total catch in as soon as the last net is pulled for the nite. These rules have been in place from the start so can't feel bad for you for not reading up on the REGs bro. Seems like they were only doing their jobs and could have been more harsh on you if they really wanted to be dicks.

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
    Jul 11, 2004
    San Diego
    www.lawrenceshea.com
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Your Cabo
    The one I'm waiting to see, is after midnight someone gets cited for not filling out new lines for the new day. Pretty easy to nod off and not have it done at 12:00AM if you're sitting on the anchor. DFG pulls up and bingo, here's your ticket.

I'm a lawyer and I didn't even think of that one. Excellent point - thanks.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    To the OP.

These rules have been in place from the start so can't feel bad for you for not reading up on the REGs bro. Seems like they were only doing their jobs and could have been more harsh on you if they really wanted to be dicks.

Thanks, bro, but I was not seeking sympathy, just trying to warn others. As for the DFG agents just doing their job, I said as much in my original post.

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    26 striper White Knuckles

I'm a lawyer and I didn't even think of that one. Excellent point - thanks.

Yep..Ive done many multiday trips to the island, we usually get our limits then toss a female mack to the Lobster gods and let the nets soak untill midnight.

Right at midnight you fill in your card and start pulling hoops, I always hoop ( and fish) like the man is going to roll up any minute ( and he will trust me).

I dont bother with the multidays anymore, maybe Im getting old and lazy, but I just dont feel the need to bag 14 for myself anymore.

Now we go have a good time, grab our limits, grab a mooring and then its cocktail hour :hali_olutta:

radman

Jun 10, 2006
    escondido
    Name
    Darrin
    Boat
    Stringari

It just appears that this is one of the laws the government is choosing to enforce, so we need to go slower so we don't make a mistake. Something like bringing someone new on a trip can throw off our whole game. First time out they are excited and have a million questions, by the time you get settled in to you're routine, you've forgotten something simple like filling out the card.
    I have thought about this one for sure,since I seem to always get in after midnite.I usually fill it for both days,and this fills the card up faster...

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    I too see and hear that the DFG is cutting no slack for those who make honest mistakes while trying hard to follow the regs to the "T". Another got a citation for using bonito as lobster bait, it was for over limits on the fish. Its seems the DFG has decided each bait cage equals (1) bonito, even if the are cut up and only a portion of a bonito is used. The client had less than limits of bonito for bait, BTW. I run boats for divers all the time and I do not dive. I do however bring a lobster card and measure devise to be legal. With limits of bugs for each diver on board (but not myself) I was warned that each limit of lobster must be kept separate and labeled for each diver, so the Wardens can see the divers are not catching a limit for me as well. That seemed pretty BS to me. Anyone that does not see the problem here is blind.

Got this from DFG a while ago. i posted the same question to DFG and here was the response Back Then ~

Cal Outdoors
    Dec 1, 2008

To

****@yahoo.com

For bonito, you can take / have up to 5 undersize bonito in possession. For a boat fishing with bonito for bait, I would use no more than 5 bonito for the maximum of ten hoop nets you can have on a vessel (assuming there is more than one lobster fisherman). Use half of a bonito for each hoop net, and keep each half whole, that way the game warden can count how many you have total by inspecting each net. If there are less than 5 bonito, there is no worry about the size.

I hope this helps!

Carrie

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    <>< ><> <><
    Carrie E. Wilson
    Associate Marine Biologist
    California Outdoors Q&A Columnist
    Calif. Dept. of Fish and Game
    [email protected]
    <>< ><>
    <>< ><> ><>
    _____| /_____| /_____| /_____| /_____|

>>><****@yahoo.com> 11/27/2008 10:59 AM >>>
    hi carey,

question:

there seems to be controversy regarding using bonito for lobster bait. being the bonito cannot be measured and therefore no way of DFG knowing how many or how large the fish actually is,

is bonito legal for lobster bait?

signed,
    inquiring minds

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Got this from DFG a while ago. i posted the same question to DFG and here was the response Back Then ~

For bonito, you can take / have up to 5 undersize bonito in possession. For a boat fishing with bonito for bait, I would use no more than 5 bonito for the maximum of ten hoop nets you can have on a vessel (assuming there is more than one lobster fisherman). Use half of a bonito for each hoop net, and keep each half whole, that way the game warden can count how many you have total by inspecting each net. If there are less than 5 bonito, there is no worry about the size.

This is more confusing than ever. Is the limit of undersize bonito 5 per boat, or 5 per licensed angler? If there are 2 licensed people on my boat and we each catch 5 small bonito, can't there be a total of 10 on board? Or does it make a difference if they are used for lobster bait vs shark bait? This is my issue with these laws: Even the so called experts don't really know it seems, and they are selectively enforced.

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    This is more confusing than ever. Is the limit of undersize bonito 5 per boat, or 5 per licensed angler? If there are 2 licensed people on my boat and we each catch 5 small bonito, can't there be a total of 10 on board? Or does it make a difference if they are used for lobster bait vs shark bait? This is my issue with these laws: Even the so called experts don't really know it seems, and they are selectively enforced.

I can just see it now....... my kid is going to start coming home from school with homework reading......

1." Johnny was on his dads boat with his friend Jimmy..... Johnny catches 5 small bonito, Jimmy catches 4 small Bonito and dad catches 6 small Bonito. How many Bonito can they come home with legally?

2. If they decide to go lobster fishing and use the Bonito for bait, now how many can the have in possession?

3. If they decide to go shark fishing and use the Bonito for bait, now how many can they have in possession?

:D :D :D

The unknown fisherman:p:

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Actually its very simple ! each angler can possess 5 short 24" or less bonito.Page 38 of your DFW ocean regulations booklet.I dont think it matters what you do with them,eat them,use them for bait,feed them to your cat.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    I would have written you a ticket just for the hair and the stupid bro cap.

Guess we can't all be supermodels like you! And WTF do you care if I have long hair?

I love people who talk crap on the internet. You wouldn't say a word if we met face to face.