mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
The DFG (I refuse to refer to them as Department of Fish and Wildlife) is stepping up enforcement of ALL hooping laws, even the obscure and arcane ones. On October 19[SUP]th[/SUP] 2013, my son and I were hooping the front side of Catalina. We were approached by DFG officers who wanted to check our licenses, so I invited them aboard. Of course we both have our CA fishing licenses with the Ocean Enhancement Stamp, and our Lobster Report Cards filled out from previous trips.

After looking at our lobsters (they did not even measure them) they took our licenses and my driver’s license aboard their raft to run us. When they returned, they politely told me they would have to issue me a citation under CCRT.14 Section 29.91(b):

Failure to fill out lobster card PRIOR to fishing.

Now, I have been boarded by the DFG at least 3 times prior to this, and they checked my card each time and never mentioned this law before. I do things by the book, and never keep any short lobsters, however in this case it appears I am behind in my knowledge of the hooping laws. It appears the DFG brass have mandated tickets (and no warnings) to be issued for all infractions, no matter how small.

So be aware and have all your ducks in a row, T’s crossed and I’s dotted. Or it may cost you the ridiculous amount of $248.00, with a mandatory court appearance at the grand old Long Beach court house.

I know the officers were just doing their job, but you think they would cut law abiding sport fisherman a break, especially in light of just how many scum bag poachers that are out there. I guess not.

Mike

EDIT: We ended up with 5 nice bugs:

DSCN0712.jpg

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Every time I step on a boat to pull nets, we all fill out the location and type of tackle used before bait goes in the cages.

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dog Beach Mostly
Name
Mike
Boat
Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
Sorry buddy but most hoopers know this law, you got a ticket and you gotta pay. Live & learn ! That law is in black & white in the regs but there are some that are VERY vague & will get you a citation.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Every time I step on a boat to pull nets, we all fill out the location and type of tackle used before bait goes in the cages.
So will I from now on! Just want to spread the warning to fisherman who might not aware of this little gotcha (like I wasn't).

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Sorry buddy but most hoopers know this law, you got a ticket and you gotta pay. Live & learn ! That law is in black & white in the regs but there are some that are VERY vague & will get you a citation.
I know, ignorance of the law is no excuse. But if this can save anyone the $248, mission accomplished.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Not to diminish the fine you are facing, but this has been the case for sometime now.

Sorry you got a citation.

OCEAN theRAPIST

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 9, 2012
san diego/kali/us
Name
randy
Boat
ocean therapist
i was stopped well fishing yesterday 11/7. no nets just fishing when the officer saw i had a lobster card(attached to my fishing license) he started to asking why i never filled it out he said it looked used an i needed to fill it out before i put my nets in an i have to fill it out if i dont catch anything(all of which i know) all i could say was im over lobster fishing and wont buy 1 again because its to much bullshit

i always dot my i's and some times other people 2

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Not to diminish the fine you are facing, but this has been the case for sometime now.

Sorry you got a citation.
Thanks, I know it's totally my fault, and I'm not trying to blame anyone (but me). Tight lines and full nets!

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
At least you got to go to court in Long Beach.
A lot of the time they will have you appear back on Catalina Island.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
So.......how many bugs did you get?

hooook-up

@fish._.brain
Jul 24, 2008
fountain valley
Name
brian
Boat
19' Starcraft Islander 191 "Boutime"
Not to be a douche-bag but it's not "obscure" or "arcane". You/We need to know the rules and that is pretty much right at the top of the list! May I suggest you get a hard copy and read it, seriously, I guarantee you will find at least 3 or 4 items that you will say"I never knew that" and it might save you some money in the future, no down side!

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Really ? a no brainer if your lobster fishing

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
X-2. Know the law or pay the price. Remember, they need to generate revenue.

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
When we bought our cards the shop was very kind to explain all the important details. Sucks that where you bought yours they did not enlighten you before the DFG lightened your wallet.

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
So will I from now on! Just want to spread the warning to fisherman who might not aware of this little gotcha (like I wasn't).
That`s a pretty funny post....getting busted for not following the laws.What would be the point of the card if you don`t fill it out,both before you set hoops,and right after the last hoop is pulled...it sucks to get a ticket,but it is like you saying to watch out for cops if you run a red light and don`t let you off with a warning.We watched a boat at SI get tickets for the same exact thing last friday nite.

CrotaluKid1

Nov 8, 2013
San Diego, CA
Name
Reiner Shelton
Boat
Boatless
Bummer, I was out at oceanside pier opening night, and had the same problem. Luckily I caught a break and didn't get cited, I explained that it was my first time hoop netting and I didn't catch anything, if I had he would have cited me for it. He then showed me that it says that on the lobster card. Good luck during the rest of the season.

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Sorry to hear that, I was lucky enough to get warned once when returning to the ramp and had filled it out at the start ,but not for the final.

IMO its suppose to be a report card, why they try to nail fisherman that forget to fill it out before they drop a net is beyond me, but that is how the law is written.

Its about $$$$ and its an easy ticket and very easy to forget, I fill mine out now before I even put the boat in the water and again after the last hoop is pulled up.

I was at the island the same weekend, they worked from the west to the east and hit everybody.

jaw1970

Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Thanks for trying to help out other lobster fisherman from making the same mistake.

Team Ball's Out

Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
Thanks for the information I already knew that.

Also did you know that in between the horns the lobster have have a small piece of flesh. We were checked last year and the bug was of legal size. When the game warden checked the bug was not! He explained to to us about the fleshy part between the horns. If you catch that part while measuring the bug he will be legal providing the gauge does not go over the back, if you miss it he will be short. He showed us the proper way to measure a bug. Put the gauge on his head first than slide it forward in between the horns till it drops down, this way you miss the fleshy part, then measure the back end of the head like you normally would. It would of cost us a ticket for a short lobster, He asked us to toss it back or risk a ticket. That bug went into the water at the speed of light. After we got the boat on the trailer I went up to him and thanked him for the information he saved me @ 500.00 bucks! He was pretty cool! . Just my 2 cents.

mholtel

Mike x 5
Dec 7, 2004
Somewhere n Vista
Name
mikey
Boat
Blackman 23, 20 Skipjack, 15 Valco westcoaster
Thanks for the heads up!
Hopefully the DA in your neck of the woods will think it's to petty to send to court and it won't be put on the daily docket. The DA has 1 year from the citation date to send it to court.
Had it happen to me for a hoop that got drug out in the shipping channel in SD bay two years ago.
Very true statements, to read up on all the laws first.
Only the President can re- write laws.
shithappens: for a reason