Lobster from pier?

Park90

Apr 5, 2015
Name
Sang
Boat
Nada
Has anyone tried hooping for lobster from a pier or jetty? If so where is a good location?

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Has anyone tried hooping for lobster from a pier or jetty? If so where is a good location?

A fisherman last Saturday night said Dana Point Harbor Patrol kicked off all hoopnetters on the little Dana Point Harbor Pier for some reason. Wonder why? Thought it was legal to do this off piers if you have lobster card?

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
A fisherman last Saturday night said Dana Point Harbor Patrol kicked off all hoopnetters on the little Dana Point Harbor Pier for some reason. Wonder why? Thought it was legal to do this off piers if you have lobster card?
What time at night did he give them the boot? Most piers have Curfews.

Upvote 0

raffman55

Almost A Member
May 29, 2006
Chula Vista
Name
Tom
Boat
Hobie n Ocean Prowler
Caught few as by-catch off the OB pier, returned to waters. Saw one unhappy gent awhile back with DFG at the parking lot, 4 keepers, OUT OF SEASON! Took his catch, his gear, and fined him.

Upvote 0

Joe Bal

Aug 9, 2010
Menifee, Ca
not to long ago I was launching from dana landing and the launch ramp was thick with lobsters, I think we actually ran a couple over before we noticed what was going on.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Ive seen people catching on OB pier.....did I say catching?I meant poaching LOL.

Upvote 0

GoodHandsMike

Jun 24, 2015
Name
Mike Plouff
Boat
DP Harbor is an OC Park. They only allow fishing with line & Hook in this park. No nets. Can't speak on other piers/harbors.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Lobster hooping is allowed on every other pier. It's pretty terrible though due to the areas being over-fished. Remember, lobster don't move around that much. So an area with a lot of pressure is not going to suddenly produce. Piers have been over-hooped for decades so you're not going to get the best hooping from them. They still do produce legal lobsters from time to time, though.

Upvote 0