Ben Green

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish
Not sure where to post this, but anyway...
Heading out to Two Harbors with my adult 'kids' to camp for the lobster opening and just wanted to verify something.
As far as I know you can dive for bugs right in front of the camp site, just stay out of the mpa around the bend, right?
First time diving there and planning on brining my boat, so any other tips or spots appreciated.

Thanks

split172

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
Gonna be a zoo everywhere for the opener.
The area from lions head (blue )to the west is closed due to mlpa and the area just to the east Blue Caverns (purple) is mlpa.

Not sure if there are any specific regs relating to lobster for two harbors.

Good luck.

D57E31C0-3920-41E2-83D2-FF851F8FCAD5.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Green

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
I'm guessing your camping at Main Two Harb Campground?

If so I'd venture off your mooring and head west towards parsons/johnstson area - way better bug diving there then in front of campground.

Reactions: Ben Green

tmason

Jun 9, 2008
Lakewood
Name
Tom
Boat
none
Try Rippers Cove between the MPLAs. Watch out for the Tax Man where ever you dive.
Not sure where to post this, but anyway...
Heading out to Two Harbors with my adult 'kids' to camp for the lobster opening and just wanted to verify something.
As far as I know you can dive for bugs right in front of the camp site, just stay out of the mpa around the bend, right?
First time diving there and planning on brining my boat, so any other tips or spots appreciated.

Thanks
You did not say when you were going so just want to clarify that lobster season opens at 6 am on Oct 3. I have heard that some folks think it opens this Sat on the 28th but that is not correct.

tmason

Jun 9, 2008
Lakewood
Name
Tom
Boat
none
You did not say when you were going so just want to clarify that lobster season opens at 6 am on Oct 3. I have heard that some folks think it opens this Sat on the 28th but that is not correct.
Sorry, meant this Sat the 26, but that is not correct. Opens on Oct 3.

Ben Green

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish
Sorry, meant this Sat the 26, but that is not correct. Opens on Oct 3.
Yeah I am going next Friday Oct 2nd for 2 nights at the main camp ground, so planning on diving Sat morning and probably night

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
Try Rippers Cove between the MPLAs. Watch out for the Tax Man where ever you dive.
Noob to Catalina also. Going to Ripper’s B in a few weeks to camp with some buddies.
Pick up some bait at SP barge along with frozen squid.
From what I can tell, I should be good straight out and East to Gibraltar?
Is there a bait barge near Two Harbors?
Bring the lobster nets?

Any local knowledge will be appreciated just like “From Two to Twenty Fathoms”.😆
And has anyone done the hike to Buffalo Springs?
Thanks.
Don’t want to hijack a thread but similar?

Smooth seas, tight lines and cold beers.👍

Ben Green

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish
Noob to Catalina also. Going to Ripper’s B in a few weeks to camp with some buddies.
Pick up some bait at SP barge along with frozen squid.
From what I can tell, I should be good straight out and East to Gibraltar?
Is there a bait barge near Two Harbors?
Bring the lobster nets?

Any local knowledge will be appreciated just like “From Two to Twenty Fathoms”.😆
And has anyone done the hike to Buffalo Springs?
Thanks.
Don’t want to hijack a thread but similar?

Smooth seas, tight lines and cold beers.👍
There is usually a bait barge outside of Avalon, but not at TH, I've hiked to Parsons, which is a pain in the ass, but not Buffalo. If you're diving watch the currents as they can really be ripping out there and be careful about boat traffic

Reactions: SemperFi75

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Remember that the unofficial buccaneers days are Oct 2-4, 2020 at two harbors. Should be all you want on the drunk tuna in the mooring field.

I’ll be there as well.......

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
Remember that the unofficial buccaneers days are Oct 2-4, 2020 at two harbors. Should be all you want on the drunk tuna in the mooring field.

I’lol keep that in mind. I’m getting my 100 hour service done next week for Cat camping trip. Might be ready for day trip shake down.

What’s the name of that buffalo milk drink and what else is in it? I’m guessing you might know?😆

May have to be a buccaneer for a day. Rrrrrrrr

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander

shit that’s the same weekend.
i’d say not a good time to dive!!
buffalos milk yummm

Thor Lars Laizans

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 11, 2018
Capo Beach
Name
⚓
Boat
Row boat
It opens Monday The 28th at 6am. You can look it up in the books. Anywhere there are rocks at Catalina and its a take zone its crawling with bugs. Opening day last year i took my limit in the middle of the day in about 10ft of water fairly quickly.

Last edited:

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
It opens Monday The 28th at 6am. You can look it up in the books. Anywhere there are rocks at Catalina and its a take zone its crawling with bugs. Opening day last year i took my limit in the middle of the day in about 10ft of water fairly quickly.
You may want to re check that date of opening. It has Always opened up the first Saturday, Preceding the LAST WEDNESDAY IN OCTOBER?

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
You may want to re check that date of opening. It has Always opened up the first Saturday, Preceding the LAST WEDNESDAY IN OCTOBER?
Recreational lobster season opens at 6:00 a.m. on the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday in October and closes at 12:00 a.m. on the first Wednesday (night) after the 15th of March.

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
Gotta have an English major to figure this out. lol

So Saturday the 3rd of October at 6AM.

Can hoop nets be soaking prior, just no harvesting?

Thanks.

Smooth seas, tight lines and cold beers... and now full hoop nets. :cheers:

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Recreational lobster season opens at 6:00 a.m. on the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday in October and closes at 12:00 a.m. on the first Wednesday (night) after the 15th of March.
MY BAD, It was a typo. It always in the begging of Oct.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Buccaneer days and a lobster opener on the same weekend . What could possibly go wrong ?

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Gotta have an English major to figure this out. lol

So Saturday the 3rd of October at 6AM.

Can hoop nets be soaking prior, just no harvesting?

Thanks.

Smooth seas, tight lines and cold beers... and now full hoop nets. :cheers:
No you can't bait them until 6AM and don't forget to fill out your card FIRST!
Catalina is always a DFG Priority you're going to get checked

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
No you can't bait them until 6AM and don't forget to fill out your card FIRST!
Catalina is always a DFG Priority you're going to get checked
Thank you. Last season was my first. I did learn, bait card filled out with type of net and location BEFORE you fish. lol Good luck out there.

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Also a good idea to have a gauge for each person on board...put the gauge solidly between the horns first, then, on the tail...do the opposite and you may accidently measure a short as legal...frequent mistake...only 10 hoops allowed on board...I file my gauges slightly over so there is no mistake on size....some .alum. gauges are stamped out on a machine and not always accurate...females with white eggs on bottom...throw back to make more little bugs...

Last edited: