Lobster - Cages versus tubes, tubes versus cages?

ja73

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
I decided this season I was going to try cages because people said they're better for attracting more bugs. The night I used them I looked around and I didn't see a dog in sight, but within 5 minutes of dropping my hoops I watch a big dog porpoising out of the water making a B-line to my hoops. Then I watched him bring my hoops out of the water, then the cage. I tried my best to chase him but he just went after my other hoops.
He ended up ripping 6 cages off of my hoops and leaving 4 intact but with damaged. I had a feeling this would happen so I had my tubes ready to go and put them in my hoops and that POS dog checked them out and swam away, didn't have 1 dog after that.
After that night I've been using my tubes and no dogs and I'm still getting bugs, and yeah it does seem after 11 it turns off.

I make my own tubes with 1/2" holes but I thinking of going to try and make some with 3/4" or 1" holes and see what happens.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
“The lobster is frustrated it can't eat and hops out 8 out of 10 times.“

Nope, the lobster is frustrated and stays and works ever harder to get at the food and they do pull quite a bit of it out of the tubes.

I have some cages to sell you.

Airbike

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 23, 2015
SoCal
Name
Dan
Boat
NA
I have a set of cages and a set of homemade tubes.
The seals/sea lions busted some of my cages so I had to add some deterrents.
Here's my version for keeping them from biting my cages.
Simpson galvanized splice plates from the lumber connectors section at Home Depot.
Use two 3" x 6" plates on each cage.
Drawback is you better be careful handling these spikes cages or your gloves will be full of holes....
I had a smart sea lion bite open the cage from the bottom when I only used 2 clips so now I use 3 clips. 4 would be even better.
Just more options for you guys.

20191108_180726.jpg

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Let me start by saying I don’t hoop in the bay and don’t have any problems with seals, however I did years ago and can pass along a few tips. First you have a legal right to protect your catch and your gear, this is why noaa has put out a list of things you can legally use…. This is on the list.
[

As a kid we used them on birds and I was real good with it, I had to target practice one time with some milk jugs and got it right back and I am able to hit them almost every time, if you hit them they will take off and they will not return.

NEVER use Salmon heads or big pieces of fish… the reason the seals leave the tubes alone is because they can’t see anything in them, only use small pieces of bait, the seals are looking for a meal not a snack. Also don’t just throw your nets in the water, the seals know the sound and will come take a look. I like to hold mine level over the water and let them down slowly keeping them that way until I feel them hit the bottom, that way you know they are laying flat, after you put your float in the water hang out for a min. or two and make sure it isn’t getting pulled away or under while you are still close enough to grab it.

I like bait cages and make my own, I use poultry netting which is wire covered with vinyl, they are flexible and not ridged so I can put whatever I want in them. I don’t rely on the bait I put in them to attract the lobster, I use something else for that and it gets lobster to the nets in five min. however I have to have enough bait in them to keep them in the nets, I pull the first one after setting the last one but after that they may be soaking for a long time.

As for them not eating after 11, I am usually home fixing dinner by 11, other than opening nights I have only gone out that late twice and I didn’t have any problems getting them to the nets, that I can remember.

Since I have had some close calls I stress safety, so if you don’t have an anchor, get one before you go out again… if you have one, have it on the deck and ready to go into the water before you leave the dock. The extra time it will take you to get it out of a hold could be the difference in you losing your boat or your life. If you hoop in the bay it is pretty safe, lots of light, lots of people, close to shore… if you are in the ocean it’s a different story… always make sure someone responsible knows your going, about where you will be, about when you will be home, and a time that if you aren’t back by to call someone for help. If you want to call me a pussy that’s fine, but if you haven’t hooped in the kelp beds at 2am by yourself… then you haven’t earned the right to. Stay safe and have fun.

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Simpson galvanized splice plates from the lumber connectors section at Home Depot.
Drawback is you better be careful handling these spikes cages or your gloves will be full of holes....
I had a smart sea lion bite open the cage from the bottom when I only used 2 clips so now I use 3 clips. 4 would be even better.

View attachment 1087213
Great stuff Dan, thank you for sharing, and the PIC!!! John.

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
NEVER use Salmon heads or big pieces of fish… the reason the seals leave the tubes alone is because they can’t see anything in them, only use small pieces of bait, the seals are looking for a meal not a snack. Also don’t just throw your nets in the water, the seals know the sound and will come take a look. I like to hold mine level over the water and let them down slowly keeping them that way until I feel them hit the bottom, that way you know they are laying flat, after you put your float in the water hang out for a min. or two and make sure it isn’t getting pulled away or under while you are still close enough to grab it.

I like bait cages and make my own, I use poultry netting which is wire covered with vinyl, they are flexible and not ridged so I can put whatever I want in them. I don’t rely on the bait I put in them to attract the lobster, I use something else for that and it gets lobster to the nets in five min. however I have to have enough bait in them to keep them in the nets, I pull the first one after setting the last one but after that they may be soaking for a long time.

Since I have had some close calls I stress safety, so if you don’t have an anchor, get one before you go out again… if you have one, have it on the deck and ready to go into the water before you leave the dock. The extra time it will take you to get it out of a hold could be the difference in you losing your boat or your life. If you hoop in the bay it is pretty safe, lots of light, lots of people, close to shore… if you are in the ocean it’s a different story… always make sure someone responsible knows your going, about where you will be, about when you will be home, and a time that if you aren’t back by to call someone for help. Stay safe and have fun.
Thank You for sharing George, all good stuff IMO!

embo

I've been recommended for a recommendation...
Aug 25, 2006
Name
n/a
Boat
17' Bluewater
Might I suggest marbles Gonzo, it's like planting little treasures on the ocean floor.:cheers:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I decided this season I was going to try cages because people said they're better for attracting more bugs. The night I used them I looked around and I didn't see a dog in sight, but within 5 minutes of dropping my hoops I watch a big dog porpoising out of the water making a B-line to my hoops. Then I watched him bring my hoops out of the water, then the cage. I tried my best to chase him but he just went after my other hoops.
He ended up ripping 6 cages off of my hoops and leaving 4 intact but with damaged. I had a feeling this would happen so I had my tubes ready to go and put them in my hoops and that POS dog checked them out and swam away, didn't have 1 dog after that.
After that night I've been using my tubes and no dogs and I'm still getting bugs, and yeah it does seem after 11 it turns off.

I make my own tubes with 1/2" holes but I thinking of going to try and make some with 3/4" or 1" holes and see what happens.
1/2" holes are fine,no need to go bigger.

wildbunch

MOFO
Oct 11, 2008
Analheim
Name
Bill
Boat
23' "Hardcore"

View attachment 1087213
:urno1: :skullbone :Zombie_Ro

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
It’s not a good picture but here is my home made tube
I have been using it for years and it is still holding up
1F2DE419-1B00-46D2-BF36-EEAC5608F559.jpeg

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Might I suggest marbles Gonzo, it's like planting little treasures on the ocean floor.:cheers:
What you see in the picture is standard slingshot ammo that came with the slingshot. I usually use marbles, they are probably less money, but they are bigger and it is easier for me to hold them in the pouch more consistently the same way... which may not seem like that big of a thing but it is, being consistent is how you become accurate. For me they are very accurate but i have friends who couldn't hit a car with one... they can't shoot for shit either, maybe it's their eyes. One thing that is for sure, you know when you hit them, they haul ass and they don't come back.
They are cheap too... you don't have to worry about them getting fucked up by the salt air and if they do they are cheap to replace... unlike my pellet gun, you have to put your hands on the barrel to cock it and the salt air will really fuck it up, and at $400 it's a little expensive to put in those conditions.
The standard steel shot slingshot ammo is really the best, it will just rust away to nothing, I don't know about the glass. I'm still looking for an alternative and I am open to suggestions... make that serious suggestions since I'm on BD.

Have you been getting any bugs? I like the pigeon spikes, I've seen them in use in the bathrooms at South Shores and I thought they would work good to use like you are. Didn't give it more than a passing thought because I don't have a problem with seals.

embo

I've been recommended for a recommendation...
Aug 25, 2006
Name
n/a
Boat
17' Bluewater
Only been a couple o times this year and fell short of limits. Being on anothers boat, you go where they go. Been a couple of years since I've hooped where you do, I miss it. I too subscribe to your quiet setting methods.

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
I made a set of tubes and never looked back, the seals just don’t mess with them for some reason

The way I had mine rigged eliminated zip ties and were easy to take in and out or rebait.

Seeing some of these pics posted with spikes and other sharp objects crack me up , looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Also bait lasts a lot longer and you need less with the tubes.

Just my experience having used both

squidbutt

docidicus gigas
Dec 25, 2010
IB,CA.USA
Name
BJ
Boat
bw shamrock
is this the bumphead that follows you off the san diego bait barge?

prior to the mmpa in 1976 or so, a man from the state would cull the sea lion heard to keep the population at a healthy level.

now they become overpopulated, aggressive and a nuisance species and the mmpa marches on as progress?

the white shark solution to seal overpopulation is only going to have the same result on white sharks once there are not enough seals/sea lions to feed on... so retarded, people will be targeted often and die... all so we can have an overpopulation of sea lions

Reactions: FloMar

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
Still using cages myself .

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
I have used tubes thus far, and have cages galore unused. I have not been harrassed thus far, and plan on trying a couple of cages today. They seem like they would spread scent better.

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
How did you find the Lobster cave I drop my nets in front of Dave?

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
THATS MY BAIT TANK.
Well it took a few days Dave, and I just got the feedback after I'd sent the picture to forensics. If this is truly your bait tank, forensics told me they counted 49 individual lobsters. I don't believe them because of the the fact they used scientific testing and/or techniques and applied them to something outside of it's scope. I told them he'd be lucky to have 35 lobsters let alone 49. Anyway, congratulations!