Lobster Buoy Light setup, show me what ya got!

TheBoyScout

Thanks doesn't buy gas...
Nov 13, 2014
San Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
Bayrunner Baja 21 "Rough Rider"
Okay guys I have been searching far and wide for good lobster buoy light setups and the best ones ive seen is putting a weight on one side of the float then drilling a hole for a lightstick on top. I am always losing the chem lights and the LED ones just end up breaking. I know some brand are better than the other but I am kind of over using light sticks.

Does anyone have any experience with putting PVC pipe through the buoy so that it will float upright with the light at the end to be easily seen? I found these on amazon but definitely not gonna pay $60 for it. Please let me know if you have any alternative methods of lighting up your buoys!
1603344658100.png

1603344744560.png

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Don’t overthink it, I spent a bunch of money tried all the fancy shit that don’t last and went back to basics, I gaurd n never leave my area so as long as I can see them that’s all that matters because no one else is going to get near them!

image.jpg

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
About a week ago, I posted this in the wrong forum. Gonzo25's set up is legit.

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
here's my take of my **Work In Progress**.
3 - 6oz torps in the 3/4" PVC AND brass nipple contains molten lead as well...
total est weight at bottom = 20+ish Oz (?).
float Ht to be determined although testing shows it doesn't matter much with 20oz o' weight.

yes ~ point UP! float seems to sit flatter with point UP (commercial supply guys recommended point up). option to change point direction still possible.

...YMMV.
overall.JPG
base.JPG
lite.JPG

here's a link to a quick vid:

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
I like the brass nipple with lead. My lead filled copper tube is sliding around. I'm considering gluing the ballast in place.
remember, new brass ain't worth the $$$.
i just had a scrap used throw-a-way nipple hangin' around.

goop silicone on your copper tubing and let it dry in place.

Reactions: stuman

ChaseTheBait

Eat em raw
Mar 19, 2019
San Diego
Name
Chase
Boat
Carolina Skiff 1800
Recently spent like $18 on 5 of these Life Gear LED glow sticks on amazon:

Amazon product
Was super disappointing when I got my nets set saw them all start to turn off on their own after 5-10 minutes, theyre on some sort of timer or something. Makes them totally unusable.

Looks like it's back to glow sticks until I find something that stays on.

TheBoyScout

Thanks doesn't buy gas...
Nov 13, 2014
San Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
Bayrunner Baja 21 "Rough Rider"
About a week ago, I posted this in the wrong forum. Gonzo25's set up is legit.

I like that longer PVC style bouy! I think I’ll try making it a little shorter though. All I need is about a foot out of the water. They sit up in the water well?

Mr. lucky

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 17, 2004
Poway
Name
Jason Gutzmer
Boat
La Rana
We use an empty 1/2 gallon plastic jug with a screw on lid and put the glow stick inside . The rope threads through the jug handle in front of the buoy. Cheap and easy and the jug really makes the glow stick light visible like a lantern.

talltales

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 22, 2004
Ridgecrest Ca
Name
ron
Boat
2359 Trophy
We use an empty 1/2 gallon plastic jug with a screw on lid and put the glow stick inside . The rope threads through the jug handle in front of the buoy. Cheap and easy and the jug really makes the glow stick light visible like a lantern.
Yep, that's what I do too.

Reactions: RodRage

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I like that longer PVC style bouy! I think I’ll try making it a little shorter though. All I need is about a foot out of the water. They sit up in the water well?
With rebar or lead for ballast the floats stay upright

stolpstdi

I like bourbon.
Sep 10, 2012
OC
Name
Blaine
Boat
Tiara 3100 Open 'Sol Delight'
I did this in a pinch last week and it works amazing.

Reactions: RodRage

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Its not rocket science but always someone trying to reinvent the wheel, Im the cat with pinchy glow sticks and 50ft of extra rope out if you see me you should keep your distance.....

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
I bought a ton of reusable glow sticks last year to use for this year. After hearing about all the poaching going on, I think im going to just stick with tried and true reflective tape and a spot light. Doubt the lowlifes will be spotlighting buoys to poach as it would draw too much attention. I think they'd rather have you light the way for them.

Reactions: bugman