hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Considering the hoop weighs close to 18lbs I doubt the current stole it...

Plus the fact it was set at 196 with 250 ft line out hence the watching it sink out at 250ft

I don't know if you have been to ship rock or looked at charts it's not 200ft the whole way around. I didn't say the divers were messing with gear. The boat which had the divers kept going near the floats. Typically when u put divers in the water you don't sit and motor right over top of them you drift away but within sight of it so you don't chop them up....

The "Christmas trees" keep my shit from getting run over or lost bc everyone can see a glow stick 4ft off the top of the water while they don't see the little float on its side. I don't mind people coming to fish near me it's a free ocean just don't fuck with my gear is all I'm saying :) and I never said that boat forsure did
I hoop that area for 3 years now and have never lost or sank out a net yet and yes I have scanned the floor it flat as shit although, I don't hoop that rock due to divers.
We use nets plus 10 lb weights so we are at 30lb per hoop. At least you got bugs I will let you know if I see Super divers I am going Wednesday instead now

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
That is just ridiculous....how many can you possibly eat.....I mean seriously...if you can't eat all those I'll help.....

Nice haul...you do the work, you get rewarded....

I'm sure it was divided across many different people; limit is 7 only.

Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
I hoop that area for 3 years now and have never lost or sank out a net yet and yes I have scanned the floor it flat as shit although, I don't hoop that rock due to divers.
We use nets plus 10 lb weights so we are at 30lb per hoop. At least you got bugs I will let you know if I see Super divers I am going Wednesday instead now

Now your hoop weighs 30 lbs? What kind of hoop are you using that weighs 20lbs stock?

And I don't get your super diver reference. Diving the rock in 30-80ft is super diving? The boat is what was bobbing around our gear with 2 guys inside motoring around while scuba Steve and friends were scouring the rock

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Now your hoop weighs 30 lbs? What kind of hoop are you using that weighs 20lbs stock?

And I don't get your super diver reference. Diving the rock in 30-80ft is super diving? The boat is what was bobbing around our gear with 2 guys inside motoring around while scuba Steve and friends were scouring the rock
You said your hoops weigh 18 lb so add my weights and bait cage = 30lb plus 2 floats laying flat and lead lines. Just busting your Balls, Nice catch by the way!! I will take my paint ball gun just incase

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
the relative density or air and water and lobster nets are all different...obviously and weight is relative to what you are weighing it in....water has a density of 1.00g/cm3 steel is between 7.75 and 8.25 g/cm3,air has a density of 0.001225 g/cm3....if you can't see that it's weight in air and water are different then you too are a victim of the public school system

Wrong, It's weight (mass x acceleration of gravity) is the same in water or air, The greater density of water provides a greater buoyancy force than does air, which make it "appear to weight less in water" I should know, as I was educated by, and have taught Chemistry for over 30 years in the public schools. Sorry your education was not commensurate.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Wrong, It's weight (mass x acceleration of gravity) is the same in water or air, The greater density of water provides a greater buoyancy force than does air, which make it "appear to weight less in water" I should know, as I was educated by, and have taught Chemistry for over 30 years in the public schools. Sorry your education was not commensurate.

well evidently your english teacher failed you then "relative" being the key word here

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
the relative density or air and water and lobster nets are all different...obviously and weight is relative to what you are weighing it in....water has a density of 1.00g/cm3 steel is between 7.75 and 8.25 g/cm3,air has a density of 0.001225 g/cm3....if you can't see that it's weight in air and water are different then you too are a victim of the public school system

well evidently your english teacher failed you then "relative" being the key word here

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Sure... being immersed in water will change the mass of the object, and or the force of gravity. Did you go to Trump University?

Upvote 0

JimmH

Captain
Jun 23, 2003
Rancho Bernardo-San Diego
instrumentengineers.com
Name
Jimm
Boat
98 Grady White 228; Cobra Maurader kayak

Weight is relative to gravity, and nothing more. Weight is the FORCE exerted on a mass and is calculated as F=MA (force = mass x acceleration) , where acceleration in this case is created by gravity (32ft/sec squared, or 9.8 m/sec squared) We have a tendency to discuss weight as if it were mass. So, a spaceship with a mass of 1000KG is 1000 KG on earth, in the ocean, or in space.

Relative density has nothing to do with weight. Weight is based on mass and gravity. a mass of 1 KG weighs 1KG on earth due to the gravity. On the moon it weighs 1/6 that because the FORCE of gravity is 1/6th that of earth. The MASS remains the same.

What would affect a hoop net and 250 ft. of line are the other FORCES in the ocean. .. the current in other words, the resistance caused by water (it's a lot easier to pull a hoop net in air than water due to the resistance of the more dense water... but there's no lobster in air) If there is air in the hoop net then buoyancy would also have an effect.

Buoyancy is related to the difference in density. That is how you can make a layered mixed drink..

There is no change in gravity in the ocean due to water. I presume your reasoning that the hoop net is affected by other forces in the ocean, and I agree with that. However, it is not because the hoop net "weighs" less in water.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Weight is relative to gravity, and nothing more. Weight is the FORCE exerted on a mass and is calculated as F=MA (force = mass x acceleration) , where acceleration in this case is created by gravity (32ft/sec squared, or 9.8 m/sec squared) We have a tendency to discuss weight as if it were mass. So, a spaceship with a mass of 1000KG is 1000 KG on earth, in the ocean, or in space.

Relative density has nothing to do with weight. Weight is based on mass and gravity. a mass of 1 KG weighs 1KG on earth due to the gravity. On the moon it weighs 1/6 that because the FORCE of gravity is 1/6th that of earth. The MASS remains the same.

What would affect a hoop net and 250 ft. of line are the other FORCES in the ocean. .. the current in other words, the resistance caused by water (it's a lot easier to pull a hoop net in air than water due to the resistance of the more dense water... but there's no lobster in air) If there is air in the hoop net then buoyancy would also have an effect.

Buoyancy is related to the difference in density. That is how you can make a layered mixed drink..

There is no change in gravity in the ocean due to water. I presume your reasoning that the hoop net is affected by other forces in the ocean, and I agree with that. However, it is not because the hoop net "weighs" less in water.

"Buoyancy is related to the difference in density." contraction....relative density

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Can I ask why you don't hoop in the bay? Do you mean Mission Bay? Thanks.

It would be counterproductive, but here goes:

Lobster feed on detritus, dead organic matter. SoCal Bays are the filter of everything that is disposed of along the heavily populated watersheds that flow to the ocean. The bugs in bay have to be eating some pretty nasty stuff that is accumulated in the tissues that you eat.

The same structure that Bay bugs thrive on, can be found offshore with less toxins, but at depth. I pulled 2 sets of 8 nets between 65 and 90', for two limits, on top of some really nice new structure I found for this opener by looking at a map and my sounder.

Bays are also full of break walls and other dangerous objects like... too many people.

That's why.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
man this thread is all over the place.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
went out for the opener with good success found bugs that wanted to crawl some nice size bugs too
View attachment 794353

We did lose one hoop to another boat driving around while his divers were down, I'm assuming he some how got wrapped up on our rig (not sure how but benefit of the doubt that he didn't intentionally do it) and drug one of our hoops from 190ft out to 250ft where it sank out, we tried recovering it while slowly watching it sink out f****ing sucks watching gear drift away like that just out of gaff range and un able to snag it so if you find a hoop near ship rock Lmk orange float stand up like these
View attachment 794352

Line sinks so no chance he got propped

We did see him pulling up to one of our other hoops then he split when I started coming towards him and shined a spot light on him... First time loosing gear sucks but Atleast a nice big cooler full of bugs makes everything better

Till next time

There's the written rules and regs and the unwritten rules and regs.
If this happened to me guess we have some fingers for bait!
WTF is it with people these day?!?!?!?!?! :Death_To_Above::indabutt:

Keep that up and you'll need a new table, LOL! Great stack O bugs!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
Keep the science coming guys!! Lol love how derailed this whole thread got

Reactions: Ashearer76
Upvote 0

fisherman11

Almost A Member
Apr 29, 2012
san diego
Name
dan smith
Boat
sea witch
It would be counterproductive, but here goes:

Lobster feed on detritus, dead organic matter. SoCal Bays are the filter of everything that is disposed of along the heavily populated watersheds that flow to the ocean. The bugs in bay have to be eating some pretty nasty stuff that is accumulated in the tissues that you eat.

The same structure that Bay bugs thrive on, can be found offshore with less toxins, but at depth. I pulled 2 sets of 8 nets between 65 and 90', for two limits, on top of some really nice new structure I found for this opener by looking at a map and my sounder.

Bays are also full of break walls and other dangerous objects like... too many people.

That's why.
Damn. I was going to go tonight. Now I've lost my appetite for lobster. But I've also heard that they crawl in from the ocean to the bay and back out again. Any comments on that? I'll post separately for another lobster question.

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Damn. I was going to go tonight. Now I've lost my appetite for lobster. But I've also heard that they crawl in from the ocean to the bay and back out again. Any comments on that? I'll post separately for another lobster question.

No doubt they move, but I think when they find a good spot, they stay there for life. Nothing wrong with shit eaters, as long as they are eating the good shit. They do great in rocky structure from 10' to as deep as you want to pull. I like the idea of my dinner feeding on the effluent of the affluent, instead of the military-industrial effluent.

Upvote 0