Lobster advisory committe has been announced. Thought you should know.

PENN

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
Thanks for stepping up on this one Paul. The lunacy on this board never ceases to amaze me. The lobster is a stable fishery, and thanks to efforts from people like you, will remain that way for years to come.
People sniveling about lobster cards and fish counters screaming that the information will be used against us fail to look at the history of lobster program as a whole. These same people who were asked for information regarding the various fisheries gave nothing cannot figure out how or why the MLPA's came about. I am willing to bet these same people did nothing to fight that process either.
Thanks again for your efforts and continue the good fight.

Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
Thanks for the support, and the 'Moment of Sanity', Lobzilla.

This following quote is from our friends in Western Australia, as they were going through their version of the Lobster FMP and I think it speaks the truth...
"It is virtually important that the opinion of as many recreational rock lobster fishers as possible is conveyed at these meetings so that we are given an equitable share of this valuable community resource. Failure to speak out now could seriously compromise the recreational western rock lobster fishing in the future."

If you have something creative to add to this FMP process, or you feel it's imperative that certain changes take place immediately, please feel free to get in touch with myself, Paul, or any of the other recreational chairs on the Advisory Committee. Come to the meetings if you can make it. There will be time allotted at each meeting for public speakers.
The first meeting is at the DFG Los Alamitos office on June 20th. You can go to the DFG Lobster FMP website for more info. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/lobsterfmp/
Jim / Saba Slayer

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Man, you are full of :shithappens: also. The logic is that we need a Seal Advisory Committee more than a Lobster Advisory Committee at this time.

If you want to save the spiny lobsters, then regulate the Commercial Lobster fishery and change their Size Limits from 3.25" to 3.5". Commercial guys catch TONS of spiny lobsters compared to the recreational fisherman... AND most of the lobsters caught by Commercial guys goes to China, Japan, etc...

Read the attached link.

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-Diego-Magazine/March-2012/Business/

But go ahead and do your 3 years research with tax dollars & lobster card dollars... on Water Temp, Pollution, Seals, etc.

The solution is simple, 3.5" for commercial guys and keep the 3.25" for recreational fishermen... Done :finger:

There is no simple solution other than to ban lobster fishing altogether and thats not going to happen.Dont blame it all on commercial guys they dont catch the larger lobster.They are taking the barely legal stuff.I know,i fished for 2 years as a deckhand,the biggest lobster i saw in a trap was 2.25 pounds.Most of them are so close you had to measure because they werent obviously legal.What i have seen as a hoopnetter the last few years is tougher fishing and spots that i used to be able to fish alone are now crowded.DFG needs to make a few changes.5 years ago you could fish on a weeknight and see no one,now it doesnt matter what night it is,you cant find a spot to fish alone on.

Upvote 0

Rocketscyther

Jul 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Michael
Boat
M&M Candy
...Dont blame it all on commercial guys they dont catch the larger lobster.They are taking the barely legal stuff.I know,i fished for 2 years as a deckhand,the biggest lobster i saw in a trap was 2.25 pounds.Most of them are so close you had to measure because they werent obviously legal...

Here are some STATS that you can use...

DFG "Poundage And Value Of Landings By Port, San Diego Area During 2009"

Download the attached Adobe file

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=san%20diego%20lobster%20poundage&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CFMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnrm.dfg.ca.gov%2FFileHandler.ashx%3FDocumentID%3D31780&ei=dr7OT_adJaTz0gHCq_X5Bw&usg=AFQjCNHQwlO9zTUvMxdnVUGRdV8qOoZLrg

In 2009... 78,626 Pounds of Spiny Lobster (39 Tons!) Per DFG, valued at $851,557? Per pound that comes to $10.83... BS... more like conservatively $17/lb = $1,336,642.

2009LobsterStat.png

And from the Implementation of the Lobster Report Card in 2008. According to the San Diego Union Tribune... click on link below.

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080906/news_1s6outdoors.html

"...recreational fishermen are paying the tab for commercial take."

"Commercial Fishermen made more than $8 million by harvesting 900,000 pounds of spiny lobster in California last season (2007). They pay $94,000 and you're asking recreational fishermen to pay $525,000... adding insult to injury."

Wow, 450 Tons of Spiny Lobsters per year by Commerial guys in California (not just San Diego).

Again, wrong market value... $17/lb x 900,000 lbs. minimum = $15,300,000... maybe $8 million worth shipped to China (after covering costs)?

As for Recreational Fishermen... we're lucky to catch a 10 pounder once in a Blue Moon.

One more thing... with the $525,000+ per year of New Revenue from Lobster Cards... DFG should hire/employ a shit load of new DFG agents to catch all the Mutha F**king lobster poachers. Instead of paying for the State Deficits with fishing license sales (Thanks a lot Arnold Schwarzenegger! Keep your PP in your Pants!).

Upvote 0

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
Here are some STATS that you can use...

DFG "Poundage And Value Of Landings By Port, San Diego Area During 2009"

Download the attached Adobe file

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...q_X5Bw&usg=AFQjCNHQwlO9zTUvMxdnVUGRdV8qOoZLrg

In 2009... 78,626 Pounds of Spiny Lobster (39 Tons!) Per DFG, valued at $851,557? Per pound that comes to $10.83... BS... more like conservatively $17/lb = $1,336,642.

2009LobsterStat.png

And from the Implementation of the Lobster Report Card in 2008. According to the San Diego Union Tribune... click on link below.

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080906/news_1s6outdoors.html

"...recreational fishermen are paying the tab for commercial take."

"Commercial Fishermen made more than $8 million by harvesting 900,000 pounds of spiny lobster in California last season (2007). They pay $94,000 and you're asking recreational fishermen to pay $525,000... adding insult to injury."

Wow, 450 Tons of Spiny Lobsters per year by Commerial guys in California (not just San Diego).

Again, wrong market value... $17/lb x 900,000 lbs. minimum = $15,300,000... maybe $8 million worth shipped to China (after covering costs)?

As for Recreational Fishermen... we're lucky to catch a 10 pounder once in a Blue Moon.

One more thing... with the $525,000+ per year of New Revenue from Lobster Cards... DFG should hire/employ a shit load of new DFG agents to catch all the Mutha F**king lobster poachers. Instead of paying for the State Deficits with fishing license sales (Thanks a lot Arnold Schwarzenegger! Keep your PP in your Pants!).
You know what man,you got it,just like I did!Maybe the DFG should pass regulation that the lobster caught in CA,stay in the USA,and therefore,the greedy Mo fo` comercial guys would stop taking them all and selling to Japan....Japan has F`d up the whole tuna scene in the Pacific,and it is the same thing with lobster,sheephead,etc.Why is it that we live in So Cal,so close to the water,and when we go to Point Loma Seafoods,or Anthony`s,etc,all there is on the fish and chips menu is pollock or Alaskan cod?Wouldnt it be cool to go and eat some local stuff?No,it goes to japan...funny,but true.It just don`t seem right that someone anties up 50 grand for a lobster license,and they can catch as many as theyre traps can catch?Damn,I wish I was in charge of The state waters!I would double up the patrols to catch the poachers,lower the limit on Bass to 5,open the no-fish zones,make it legal to kill seals and sea lions,get rid of the Swordfish boats,raise the limit on Salmon Grouper to 25,etc......

Upvote 0

HUTLOC

Mar 17, 2008
MALIBU
Name
JAMIE
Boat
WOOLEY
just wanted to say thanks Paul for not only the info but in your taking action!!! we need more fisherman and spearos... waterman.. involved. persistance is key and the only way out is to get our kind in..

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Thanks for the support, and the 'Moment of Sanity', Lobzilla.

This following quote is from our friends in Western Australia, as they were going through their version of the Lobster FMP and I think it speaks the truth...
"It is virtually important that the opinion of as many recreational rock lobster fishers as possible is conveyed at these meetings so that we are given an equitable share of this valuable community resource. Failure to speak out now could seriously compromise the recreational western rock lobster fishing in the future."

If you have something creative to add to this FMP process, or you feel it's imperative that certain changes take place immediately, please feel free to get in touch with myself, Paul, or any of the other recreational chairs on the Advisory Committee. Come to the meetings if you can make it. There will be time allotted at each meeting for public speakers.
The first meeting is at the DFG Los Alamitos office on June 20th. You can go to the DFG Lobster FMP website for more info. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/lobsterfmp/
Jim / Saba Slayer

You are a Conflict Of Interest on any committee, let alone a Lobster committe.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Michael,i agree with some of what you say.You are leaving out the part about how much a commercial guy has to spend to bring in the numbers they do,bait fuel,maintenance,the list goes on.Many of those guys have other jobs as i and the owner did to make up for what we didnt earn in the off season.The first month or even less was when you made all your money.Most of them quit fishing by christmas.Dont blame the commercial guys because you cant catch a 10 pounder,big lobster cant even get in their traps.That would be more of a recreational anglers fault.I do agree that harvesting our waters and shipping it overseas is BS but what are ya gonna do ? Next season go look at what Point Loma seafoods or Catalina offshore has in the tanks,your gonna see a bunch of just legal lobsters not toads.

Upvote 0

fishndude

Jan 6, 2008
east county
Name
tom
Boat
14 ft aluminum
You are a Conflict Of Interest on any committee, let alone a Lobster committe.

Why ? all he did was write a book on hoopnetting and i believe helped the DFG to rewrite the rules to make a conical hoopnet legal as a flatnet,even though the conical net outperforms in catching according to his book.Wheres the conflict ?

Upvote 0