downtime

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
Well the opener was just what I thought it would be....tons of boats all wanting a piece! We had 3 boats out all in the same area working it hard. Lots of great laughs with the boys!!
Here is the evening. Would have been home by 11....but someone drove their car into the water at the ramp! That really created a mess..but again everyone was calm and cool and everyone was able to get their boats out without yelling.
Enjoy!

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
Fun night . Only 1 "THAT GUY " out there . But after the 4th time i tied his gear in a big knot .. he got the message. Good times on the hoopsters

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I stay away on opening day. But promising reports.
Cool video

Reactions: downtime

CardShark

Mar 6, 2015
Ventura, CA
Name
Mario
Boat
Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak
Opening night is always a cluster ****

I'm hoping this coming week will be good and really looking forward to some Lobster this year

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Sounds like you guys did well. We were going to go over to the island (and should have, wind wasn’t what it was forecasted to be) but instead stayed local. Not as many boats as I thought, but not many bugs for us either. 1 legal and about 40 shorts, a 20lb Horn Shark, and some very ugly very large Sheep Crabs. And an idiot who wrapped his prop (on an outboard) and didn’t know he could lift it up to untangle it... there’s always one

P

Paddyman1

Great video, Ronson! Those are some good times. A couple thick ones there next to the IPA!

downtime

Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
Thank everyone!
Yes opening night is a mess but we knew that going into it and we're presently surprised at the fishermen working together!
Any other night it would get ugly cause there is so much open space that there is no reason to hoop on top of others.
The reward.....
IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

downtime

Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
Great video, Ronson! Those are some good times. A couple thick ones there next to the IPA!
That bug was 3.77lbs on the official scale at Fishermans Landing. It was the highlight of the dock for a few minutes even with the yellowfin being offloaded from the boats.

Reactions: Paddyman1

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Rad video and looks like you were rewarded! Man you got me hungry now!

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Get the fricken Raid!
Hes got bugs, BIG ones!
So baja style, yea baby we need beans, rice, flower tortillas and Bohemia!
Flash backs from Puerto Nuevo Baja.

tfcoyote

Arise, kill, and eat. -Acts 10:13
May 11, 2015
South OC
Name
Andy
Boat
Two Kayaks
My wife and I took our kayaks out to the Dana jetties on opening night. The Ohana Fest took up all the parking near Doheney, so we had a longer paddle from Baby Beach.
I started dropping nets about ten minutes before sunset. I had last year's mackerel and skipjack for bait. First pull had a single legal bug. Second pull had 12 bugs with one legal. Third pull had 22 bugs, with two legals. I limited in just over two hours with a total count of 65 lobsters.

I went back out solo on Monday night. I limited in less than two hours, with a couple of plus-sized males in the bunch. Total count for the night was 48. I tried to fish a little between pulls (hoping to catch more mackerel for bait) but the wind kept pushing me too far from my nets.

lobster opener 2.jpg lobster opener 3.jpg