Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Hi guys. How are yawl? How do you guys take your rods on the boat? I understand the boat has
buggies that you put your stuff in...but do you tie your rods up in a bundle or do you use some type
of protective case to prevent your poles from getting damaged? Do you put your reels on your rods
before you get on the boat? How do you carry your reels on the boat? I'm presuming that if they are
not on your rods, you have them wrapped up in some type of material and stored in a box until you
put them on?? Also, what do yawl use to identify your poles? I'm sure a lot of them look the same?
Thanks

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I use rod wraps to tie up my rods..
and a reel bag to put all my reels in... To know its your rod I put colored tape on them
ccccutomcustom rods.

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
You see just about everything. The guys who fly or drive from longer distances often have rod tubes and cases of all types. Most boats have lots of room on the upper deck to store all that stuff during the trip. Individual rod socks are popular, but the great majority just bundle their rods together with Velcro straps. I use zip ties.

Occasionally, people on long range trips bring their rods with the reels already mounted. For long trips, this makes the bundle awfully heavy and cumbersome. I have a soft-sided tool bag that makes a perfect reel case. On short trips, I may just dump all the reels in my duffel bag.

The vast majority will bring their rods bundled together without any protection, but with the reels stashed separately in soft-sided bags or cases. You'll see just about every combination, though.

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
You see just about everything...

The vast majority will bring their rods bundled together without any protection, but with the reels stashed separately in soft-sided bags or cases. You'll see just about every combination, though.
This is what I have seen the most, and what I do as well. There is usually plenty of travel time to mount/dismount reels at the beginning or end of a trip.

-Connor

HermosaJoe

Jul 31, 2010
Hermosa CA
I usually come to the dock like Pat said, rods bundled, reels in a bag.

But while I'm sitting around at the top of the ramp, waiting to load, I often start putting the reels on most of the rods, and then split 'em into 2-3 bundles, instead of one (for weight/awkwardness reasons).

Couple of advantages for me this way, versus point the reels on the rods while on the boat: (1) I don't have to worry about accidentally dropping a screw, which then rolls across the deck and out through the scupper. (2) There is more room to maneuver around up on the dock, and get those squirrely Accurate Bull Dog clamps with their little allen screws onto my butt-cord wrapped rods. (3) Instead of scrambling around putting reels on rods, I can kick back and enjoy the trip to the bait tank, have a brew, and just plain relax, as the boat is making its way from the dock to the open ocean. Who knows? I might catch a barracuda or a sand bass at the bait receiver (yes, I confess, I'm one of those).

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
I usually come to the dock like Pat said, rods bundled, reels in a bag.

But while I'm sitting around at the top of the ramp, waiting to load, I often start putting the reels on most of the rods, and then split 'em into 2-3 bundles, instead of one (for weight/awkwardness reasons).

Couple of advantages for me this way, versus point the reels on the rods while on the boat: (1) I don't have to worry about accidentally dropping a screw, which then rolls across the deck and out through the scupper. (2) There is more room to maneuver around up on the dock, and get those squirrely Accurate Bull Dog clamps with their little allen screws onto my butt-cord wrapped rods. (3) Instead of scrambling around putting reels on rods, I can kick back and enjoy the trip to the bait tank, have a brew, and just plain relax, as the boat is making its way from the dock to the open ocean. Who knows? I might catch a barracuda or a sand bass at the bait receiver (yes, I confess, I'm one of those).
Like.............

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
identify your rods: colored electrical tape wrapped at the same height on each rod.
I've seen that a lot. I also usually don't use my 3 assigned spots closer to the stern. I pick the most forward spots and keep all of my rods together.

okie man

Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
I put my rods in fleece socks and reels in a heavy reel bag. sooner or later they'll make you break your gear down and put all the rods in a big pile on the ride home.

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Jerry
Boat
Red Rooster 111
All rods in rods socks bungeed together. Then do what Hermosa Joe does.

Jerry

egarratt

Aug 11, 2005
San Diego
Name
Eddie G
Boat
None
Zip ties with reels already on the sticks. if I bring 14 rods (2 people), maybe 3 bundles of 4 to 5 rods per. They might get a scratch or two, but I could care less. I like to set my rods up at home, and try different things for like a month before my trip. To have to have to break them down and then set them right back up the same way just seems silly to me. Living only 20 miles from the boat ramp plays into my decision as well (no real travel damage possibility). Then setup only takes a short time on the boat. That first day I like to catch a nap and let the "patch" take effect.

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
Rods covered and bundled together, no reels. Reels in reel case. I put them together the second day. Reel covers on reels when traveling and overnight keep them from taking a beating in the rack.

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I like to bundle up all the long rods together, then another one for the short rods. Reels come on board just like Soda Pop above, although my reel case isn't nearly as nice as his. I never bother to set up any rods until at least the following morning unless we will be fishing like this year. Hell one year on a 15-day trip I didn't bother to put a reel on a rod until day 3. Don't like to rush into things. Good luck on your trip, make sure you post a report with pics.

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
HermosaJoe is right about the hazards of mounting reels on a moving boat. I once lost a reel clamp screw down a scupper while rigging a deckhand rod. Reel was useless on that trip. I try to bring spares now. Daiwa wins the prize for most fiddly reel clamps.

qtrracer

Jan 17, 2010
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
none
Bungeed rods, reels in a bag, mount them on the run out. I have too much excited energy to do nothing, if don't have something to do , I'll find something to do and thats usually not a good thing for the "King of OCD".

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Bungeed rods, reels in a bag, mount them on the run out. I have too much excited energy to do nothing, if don't have something to do , I'll find something to do and thats usually not a good thing for the "King of OCD".
this is what most guys do on the longer trips
if going on the Excel, at the end of the trip, the bundled up rods are put in a cleaned out bait tank for safe storage on the ride home which can be bumpy at times. I usually bring no more than 10 rods, put them in rod socks, and bundle them all together. Reels go in my reel bag.
Hint, if you tend to drop things like screws etc, stay away from the scuppers...............lol

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I like to bundle up all the long rods together, then another one for the short rods. Reels come on board just like Soda Pop above, although my reel case isn't nearly as nice as his. I never bother to set up any rods until at least the following morning unless we will be fishing like this year. Hell one year on a 15-day trip I didn't bother to put a reel on a rod until day 3. Don't like to rush into things. Good luck on your trip, make sure you post a report with pics.
Bundle my rods like Soda pop...reels in a reel bag....
.on cow trips I usually don't start putting reels on rods till day 2 or 3....Just like Jeff....I like ease into a trip.

summer trips I put the stuff together while waiting at the bait tank.......this year we were fishing the first morning.

back-breaker

Sep 30, 2005
Arcata
Name
Jim Simondet
Boat
22 foot Boston Whaler Outrage
I dont get the benefits of a reel bag with limited space. I wrap my reels in clean shirts in a clothes duffel on the way down hill and dirty shirts on the way uphill. rods 6 per zip tied and keep your eyes on your gear so nothing gets banged around, all good.

feeder

I gaff sardines....
Jun 20, 2006
Too far inland
Name
Greg
Boat
Intrepid
If you are shipping your rods from Texas, like I do, I suggest using rod socks bundled with Velcro ties in your rod tube. You can get heavy duty Velcro at Fry's if you have one close by. The rod socks help with banging around and identifying your rod bundle when offloading. Never ship or check your reels on the plane.

otownjoe

rail hugger
Mar 6, 2012
Orlando
Name
Joe
Boat
big one with a high rail
I fly out, my rods stay in the tube and go up top when we board.reels are carry on and go downstairs when we board.to much adrenaline and excitement boarding and plenty of time to get everything together once your under way. Better safe than sorry.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thank you gentlemen for all your replies. This help me a lot. Have a great day today, and a better day tomorrow.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
I like to rig up my reels before I put them into the buggee (or cart). Once Im on the boat, I rig up immediately (or rig up most if there are open ended questions as to our quarry). This way, I have the max time to be social and eat the awesome food (and RELAX. Im on fricking vacation!).

Of ourse, I also do what Hermosa Joe does. My biggest is a 6lb Sand Bass so far

You see just about everything. The guys who fly or drive from longer distances often have rod tubes and cases of all types. Most boats have lots of room on the upper deck to store all that stuff during the trip. Individual rod socks are popular, but the great majority just bundle their rods together with Velcro straps. I use zip ties.

Occasionally, people on long range trips bring their rods with the reels already mounted. For long trips, this makes the bundle awfully heavy and cumbersome. I have a soft-sided tool bag that makes a perfect reel case. On short trips, I may just dump all the reels in my duffel bag.

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I dont get the benefits of a reel bag with limited space. I wrap my reels in clean shirts in a clothes duffel on the way down hill and dirty shirts on the way uphill. rods 6 per zip tied and keep your eyes on your gear so nothing gets banged around, all good.
There's plenty of space for a reel bag either in your stateroom or up top on most boats. As far as dirty shirts go I throw those bloody ass bastards over the side. Nothing worse than your old fucked up clothes down below in a stateroom.