ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
Fished La Jolla Monday. Water was anywhere between 67-70 all day. Green inside, deep blue outside. Lots of birds working outside with all the mackerel you wanted. If you got through the macs, it’s was straight herring. Slow trolled some macs for a few hours for nada. Picked off a few calico with the jig stick for a couple minutes. Headed outside and quickly made my limits of reds with two standouts. Biggest reds I’ve ever caught. One barber pole kicker. Kept a couple herring to jar up. Have them packed in salt now, anyone ever give that a try?

87F887C8-8745-4F4B-96A0-C82FA83FE736.jpeg

A0A0E02F-3D91-4F47-8841-260278313073.jpeg

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Sweet day those are some nice reds!

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Fished La Jolla Monday. Water was anywhere between 67-70 all day. Green inside, deep blue outside. Lots of birds working outside with all the mackerel you wanted. If you got through the macs, it’s was straight herring. Slow trolled some macs for a few hours for nada. Picked off a few calico with the jig stick for a couple minutes. Headed outside and quickly made my limits of reds with two standouts. Biggest reds I’ve ever caught. One barber pole kicker. Kept a couple herring to jar up. Have them packed in salt now, anyone ever give that a try?

View attachment 1290401

View attachment 1290402
    Did the bait fish die real quick - in the bait tank? If they did, I think someone called them black sardines. We've caught them off O'side for the past few years.

Reactions: ror_sal
    Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    I have never ever seen or caught herring off So. Cal waters. Do you see them regularly off La Jolla? I have heard of the herring industry by Monterey Bay a century ago and not sure if there are any left.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice reds.

I always thought those were full grown sardines in spawn mode, never considered if they were herring. Got some of those at Cat last trip, and yes, they do not live long in the tank!

Upvote 0

ror_sal

Nov 6, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    Rory
    Boat
    fish and chicks
    Did the bait fish die real quick - in the bait tank? If they did, I think someone called them black sardines. We've caught them off O'side for the past few years.
    Didn’t even tank them. Just threw them in a bag and into the cooler on ice. I use a 5 gallon bucket to carry 3-4 macs and just keep switching out the water here and there. Small boat problems. I’m pretty sure they are herring....?

Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Didn’t even tank them. Just threw them in a bag and into the cooler on ice. I use a 5 gallon bucket to carry 3-4 macs and just keep switching out the water here and there. Small boat problems. I’m pretty sure they are herring....?
    They're herring, just not the pacific herring that was the big fishery target of old. Curious to know how these turn out as table fare. I can't find any information in that regard.

Upvote 0

My One

Jun 19, 2016
    California
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Triumph 210
    I caught a bunch of them around the 150 yesterday, they are mixed in with the macks. I dropped a sabiki with strips of squid and bring a string of them up with macks. A first for me for sure.

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
    Dec 28, 2008
    San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    T15 Kayak
    Definitely Herring. You can tell by the lack of a good place to nose hook them. They were thick around La Jolla in 2019, but they were finicky on taking the Sabiki much of the time. They mark more like mackerel schools than Sardines. When put on the hook immediately they fish very well. But, like others have said, not worth putting in the tank.

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0

ror_sal

Nov 6, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    Rory
    Boat
    fish and chicks
    Brined, butterflied and now a freezer pack until this weekend when I can get to the mason jars.

Upvote 0