1. surfsk869

surfsk869 Newbie

Name:
    patrick moore
    Boat:
    "THE DUCKY" Camo duck hunting boat equipped for Pacific fishing..
    just got off the water after a marathon session off LJ. Left dana landing at around 530 and made all the bait we needed just off the jetty (6-10 in macs). headed out to the corner and drifted south to north a couple times w no real luck -marked plenty of bait and sea lions were in abundance. at around 2pm we decided to do one last drift a bit further southwest closer to the MPA boundary past the condo. we had 3 macs behind the boat , 2 fly lined and one dropper looped. about 5 min into the drift we start marking bait everywhere in ~80 FOW, within a few seconds both the fly lined macs were inhaled.

i grabbed my rig ( shimano baitrunner 6000D on a penn mega power 6 foot overhead series II w 60 lb braid to 25lb floro). engaged the primary drag and the fish took off on several runs and was able to feel the violent head shakes of the suspected bruiser YT. after about a minute of fighting, the penn rod literally snapped where the reel is held into place. leaving me with a detached reel and peeling drag - obviously less than optimal situation... for the record this setup has landed me YFT BFT dodos and some solid jacks south of the border. sooo needless to say, this turn of events was both surprising and impressive.

After a few moments of fumbling with the reel the hook popped right a long with my ego. Despite going home empty handed it was a good day and the seas were calmer than anticipated. Side note, considering im now in the market, does anyone have any spinning rod suggestions that would go well with the shimano baitrunner?

Hardcor, kbray001, widgeon and 7 others like this.
  2. Otto

Otto Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat:
    19 SeaPro
    I bought a phenix Abyss 8 foot spinning rod rated 15-40. Great for casting light jigs.

3. dorado50

dorado50 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    good report. what happened to the other rod that was bit??

4. Arima-bob

Arima-bob pescadore n j├Ąger

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    I've got a couple calstar spin rods that have done me well. Can't remember the model numbers though.

5. bowrider3

bowrider3 Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    none
    Sorry about that. Quick tip...if your rod is made by a company that also makes reels (unless it is Shimano) it is almost certainly going to suck. There is a reason they give you the free rod with the reel. Good report, you'll get em next time!

6. MarktheShark56

MarktheShark56 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Skipjack 22
    Uninformed, possibly biased opinion (Shimano rep?). I've had Calstars, Seekers, Phenixes, Penns, and more over the years. Right now I have an 8' Daiwa Proteus spinner that landed a 140# bluefin last year (and several 100-lbers) and a 75# wahoo the year before. It's an awesome rod.

7. dorado50

dorado50 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    did you land the second fish ?

8. surfsk869

surfsk869 Newbie

Name:
    patrick moore
    Boat:
    "THE DUCKY" Camo duck hunting boat equipped for Pacific fishing..
    thanks for the input, second fish snapped off :/ however, the well wishes paid off as we scored this morning around the same area - ill make a post regarding it with pics

dorado50 likes this.