LJ 4/7 Do Conditions Matter

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by slayrider, Apr 9, 2018.

1. slayrider

slayrider Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John Pawlak
    Boat:
    Coastal Kayak
    The water temperature was 62. Bluebird skies. Tons of baitfish everywhere. Caught (1) 5 pound’ish Calico Bass but it made the trip totally worth it!

bellcon, sash1mi, Low N Slow and 10 others like this.
  2. michael e. bingham

michael e. bingham Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Pura Vida
    Boat:
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    For sure they do , right tide , moon phase , current , time of day all contribute to success for sure , plus being in the right place at the right time , no one wants too hear you should have been here yesterday , I do a lot of halibut fishing and its hard ti do without a little wind and tide plays a big part as well , had days whete we've had monster tides but no wind and the boat just kinda spins , then we change our game plan , mother nature on the right day makes it all possible , good look

Bill-Fishes, slayrider and GregAndrew like this.
  3. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    What were the conditions besides 62 degree water?

Fiskadoro likes this.
  4. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report and commentary! Let’s just say you had the lucky rod in the water with all that bait around. Where is that you were launching from?

5. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    John
    Yes conditions matter!
    Fishing from a kayak gives kayakers an advantage, your able to access different areas in the kelp were boaters are limited to fishing the outer edge of the kelp....
    Does conditions matter ?
    Yes it does , it plays a big part when targeting certain species of fish .. Tides , moon wind , uphill/downhill current all play a factor ...
    Nice Calico, Thanks for the report...
    Hope this helps :D

bellcon and slayrider like this.
  6. Fiskadoro

Fiskadoro Member

Name:
    Jim Day
    Boat:
    Tin and Plastic
    " How is a fish going to find my bait when all this baits in the water?"

Not the first time I've heard that. The deal is it's kind of a false assumption. Your bait on a dropper loop is not behaving remotely like the other bait. It's movement is severely restricted and it's not swimming with the rest. That is the chief advantage of the dropper vs flyline with mackerel, you can control exactly where that mack goes, how fast it's moving it's orientation to structure, and what sees it.

Your job is to get that bait in front of the right kind by reading the conditions and locating that fish in order to get it to bite.

Fish that are aggressively feeding (boiling slashing bait balls) are easy to spot and catch. Fish that are well fed and not actively feeding are harder to locate, and more reluctant to bite because there is no reason for them to waste there energy looking for more food. Seabass are notorious for this. When wide open anyone can catch them, when not wide open you can still catch them but you have to put a bait right in front of their nose, and when I say right in front, I mean right on their nose in such a manner it's too good to pass up. That difference is why some anglers can catch Seabass for months and others only get them at a few hot bites each year.

I'd rather have a lot of bait around then be out there in a desert. Most guys learn one way to fish and area and repeat that learned behavior every time they fish, but the best fisherman read the conditions then adapt to them. Being able to read the conditions when your out there is far more important then choosing the right day. Once you master that all days are good days. You got a decent fish and learned some stuff. All good in my book :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    slayrider likes this.
  7. Fiskadoro

Fiskadoro Member

Name:
    Jim Day
    Boat:
    Tin and Plastic
    There you go thinking again Stefan. Still slaying the ghosts I presume. :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    KID CREOLE likes this.
  8. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold it! Can't we just take yours?
    What conditions work? Well having bait in the water certainly makes huge a contribution. The best tool any angler has is a good log book. The reason is simple, we remember the big ones but usually very little about the conditions. By writing in a trip log things become clear. Water temp, time of day, current, wind direction and speed, location, moon phase, date, all help to create a picture. The more detail the better. There is a really good reason every Charter Captain keeps one, they work.

slayrider likes this.
  9. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  10. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    Hey Old Buddy, how are you!!!!!!

No Jim, I rarely ever am on a boat in the dark these days. The last few summers have been the best calico bass fishing locally I can ever remember. A few spots way up the line were epic on conditions. We could jig macks on the anchor, toss them out on 40 and catch 3 to 7 lb bass and hook an occasional tanker

slayrider and Fiskadoro like this.
  11. slayrider

Name:
    John Pawlak
    Boat:
    Coastal Kayak
    Reasons to doubt my chances were because of the bright sun, plentiful bait and time of day.

12. slayrider

Name:
    John Pawlak
    Boat:
    Coastal Kayak
    This Boat Ramp is located at the west end of Avenida de la Playa, near the south end of La Jolla Shores Beach, in La Jolla, California.....thanks

Paddyman1 likes this.
  13. slayrider

Name:
    John Pawlak
    Boat:
    Coastal Kayak
    Awesome reply Jim!

Fiskadoro and stairman like this.
  14. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    You bet they do! No current, few fish, time of day a big thing!

Bradyxxx likes this.