Livingston fiberglass repair - 14'

Manta42

Feb 21, 2021
Seattle
Name
Jon N
Boat
Manta 42
My little project is getting bigger! As I sanded off gelcoat to inspect lots of spiderweb cracks it became obvious this boat needs some serious fiberglass repair work! I would like to use polyester laminating resin with 1708 fiberglass to repair the holes and then cover the entire sanded off area with 1.5 oz chopped strand matting for stiffness before re-gelcoating. I haven't done much fiberglass repair so this is all youtube knowledge.......
Anyone know if I can get away with polyester resin below the waterline? I assume the hull was epoxy resin - did Livingston use epoxy or some other resin?
If you have dug into your Livingston and repaired the fiberglass I'd like to learn from you.
Thanks!

livingston 5.jpg

livingston 4.jpg

livingston 3.jpg

livingston 2.jpg

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Make sure you coat the resin when you’re finished glassing. Laminating resin won’t cure when exposed to air so you need to seal it with something. Gel coat works fine. Then you can sand it down and either glass more, or fair it out

Manta42

Feb 21, 2021
Seattle
Name
Jon N
Boat
Manta 42
Make sure you coat the resin when you’re finished glassing. Laminating resin won’t cure when exposed to air so you need to seal it with something. Gel coat works fine. Then you can sand it down and either glass more, or fair it out
Thank you - yes will use GelCoat with wax to cure. My concern is whether the Poly with adhere to the current resin which i assume is Epoxy. I'm going to cover a large area with CSM for stiffness and don't want to use epoxy for a couple of reasons.

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
I don’t believe Livingston used epoxy as their layup. If so that would get really expensive for a small boat builder. But possible. Hit up Livingston boats on Instagram. They might have some more clarity for you

Manta42

Feb 21, 2021
Seattle
Name
Jon N
Boat
Manta 42
I don’t believe Livingston used epoxy as their layup. If so that would get really expensive for a small boat builder. But possible. Hit up Livingston boats on Instagram. They might have some more clarity for you
Thank you! I sent a message. I agree epoxy would have been pretty expensive so hoping I'm good to go with polyester resin.

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat
27 Foot Stringari Custom
That is polyester resin epoxy would look yellow or white
recommend you use Vinyester resin, it has a much better bond to old cured polyester. It bonds better, is stronger and more waterproof

BB823

Jun 29, 2006
santa barbara
Name
scott
Boat
none
Thank you! I sent a message. I agree epoxy would have been pretty expensive so hoping I'm good to go with polyester resin.
They used Poly. Also, you don’t use CSM for structural repair below the waterline. Most will use 1708 biaxial on those boats. Open the deck and repair inside/outside.

Upvote 0

Finding_Nico

Stay Stoked
  • Jun 11, 2020
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Nico
    Boat
    Reblochon - LV14
    Hey Manta - How did it turn out to fill in those holes? (pictures?)

My Lv14 will need this kind of resin spa treatment love super soon! I also have to remove the riveted keel guards and from what I learned on this website, that means I will need to fill in the 30+ holes and cloth glass over them. for sure going the "adhesive keel guard" route once I remove the old ones.

How or Did you glass the other side of the hole on those larger holes you sanded in the pictures above? I'm afraid of cutting open the deck and having to re-glass it in from the other side.

thanks!

Upvote 0

Latest posts