Living in Hawaii- Maui?

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by kqmx586, Jan 11, 2011.

1. kqmx586

kqmx586 Newbie

Im looking to relocate in a few years (maybe 5) But I have my heart set on Hawaii. I like Maui. The surf is pretty good there and I have a few friends that live there. The fishing? Never fished there. Where do you slip your boat? Im looking into a condo or a small house on the ocean ( has to be on the ocean) maybe in Lahaina. Any other towns or Any other islands you would suggest? Im not worried about getting island fever as I spend many winters living on islands and i Absolutely love it. I dont want to live in a retirement village , more of a surf town with some stores.
    Right now Im 20 so I hopefully have allot of time to choose. Thanks!
    Wheres the winter swell??

2. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Just made 28 years with most of it involving fishing either charter fishing or trailer boating. Dont worry about it these islands are very close, fish them all then make a decision. They all have lots to offer. Good luck Deliman

3. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
    Terrible place to live. Don't do it.

4. Antares

Antares The popcorn police

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    29'
    He is right Haiku sucks. Only losers live there. :finger:

5. kqmx586

kqmx586 Newbie

Perfect! ill see you guys there!

6. captaindorado

captaindorado Member

Name:
    Hey You
    Boat:
    A Few
    Ya, i hate the place, especially the Kona, and screw Hawaii Kai. There is never any fish in all that blue water.

7. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
    Move to San Diego, then you can hang out with fine gentlemen such as this Antares character. Seriously though don't move to Maui, its not that cool.

8. kqmx586

kqmx586 Newbie

Cali sucks.. nothing but "bros" there.. I loved Maui when i stayed there.. the surf could be better some days but I never fished there. HI is getting more developed everyday.. and Haoles like me come in and get you hawaii born locals all bent outa shape.

9. khalidthesoljah

khalidthesoljah Newbie

Name:
    Boat:
    None
    You should check out Molokai, it is after all the friendly isle. I really wouldn't bother with maui, its so crowded and expensive.

10. JRWilson

JRWilson Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    24' Grady White Explorer
    Yeah that's what everyone thinks. Move to Maui, live in a condo on the beach, have a slip in the harbor, waterfalls everywhere and perfect surf everyday. Good luck. Condo's on the beach start at $2 million, slip in Lahaina Harbor $100K or 10 year waiting list, waterfalls only when their pouring over the highway during torrential rains and shutting the highway down - perfect surf, yup but crowded with 100 plus angry "waterman" who'll kick your ass after they drop in on you. Not trying to be humbug, just realistic. I see it all the time where I work...people want this perfect island lifestyle and then realize they have to work 2-3 jobs jus to pay rent. Manage your expectations, do some research, learn some history about Hawaii and you'll have a better chance of making it here. Good luck and aloha.