woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Joe.... tried unsuccessfully to load the "link".... sorry....no go. Go to GOOGLE..... look up....
    HAYWARD TACKLE SINKER RELEASE (copper).... saw it on the outdoorpro wedsite.

Upvote 0

Salmondave22

May 21, 2020
    Monterey
    Name
    david brown
    Boat
    22ft Boston Whaler
    Hi folks can I ask a noob question? We are going out of San Diego next month on a three day. Virtually all our fishing had been river/stream and near offshore for Salmon/Rock/Ling up here in the Bay Area so this is new territory and excited.

We are using the boats rods, etc., as our gear is not really anything suitable for most of what I think you guys do down there and I don't want to drag rods/reels that are useless down. LOL.

However I do have a couple dozen cannonballs mostly in the 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" diameter and a handful of sinker releases. I'm happy to drag them down but not sure they will be of any use?
    These would work if you can still find them.

F0A013F1-D598-4CCC-9BA0-11B85462E798.png

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    Not for bluefin... but in Hawaii we wrapped the line around a rock and let it rip... more wraps=deeper... and no weights once the rock unravels. Took a good 30 seconds to get bit!

W
    woodfish330
    "Throwing Stone".... learned that from many commercial guys in Hawaii many years ago fishing "Ahi". Simplicity at its finest.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    See it, but still do not understand how it works! Probably one of those duh moments.
    Thanks guys for the time and heads up.

Here's how it looks, the small cannonball is just propping it up for the pic.

Smokes only for size relativity. Basically you pull the pin out and insert the bail from the cannonball (this is not fully seated).

Once a decent salmon nails the bait the weight simply drops off. Inside the tube it's basically a spring loaded long cotter pin with a stop. I totally get the comment about wiring the eyes. 20# to 50# Salmon work well for this rig. We leave a lot of lead down there.

IMG_2786.JPG

That's just how it's done up here for 30 years doing it. Works well.

I may well bring a salmon rod and a kit for the fun. But only because a great friend who passed basically gave me his rod and Mickey would smile from beyond seeing it used with my kid, who's now almost 30...

Edit: Trolling rig. We use the smaller cannonballs with the dog whistle for other thing, getting down to lings and such.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    So the "dog whistle" releases the weight after reaching the desired depth. How do you blow it underwater? (kidding) Never seen that before. There must be more applications. An extra line to the weight must retrieve the weight?

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I have A neighbor Friend ,that is on the
    Shogun for A 3 Day right now,
    and he came by for 10 In-line Sinkers , 4 - 6- 8 OZ ,
    for this reason .
    Thank you for the rigging pic's, very helpfull!

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    So the "dog whistle" releases the weight after reaching the desired depth. How do you blow it underwater? (kidding) Never seen that before. There must be more applications. An extra line to the weight must retrieve the weight?
    No, the release is when the fish strikes - the weight falls away. It is sacrificial and lost. the trick with salmon is when shakers strike to gently pull them in so as not to lose the weight. The depth is maintained by trolling speed and line length with drag set to allow for trolling with the weight.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Jankity

Apr 23, 2019
    Modesto, CA
    Name
    Gurjeet S. Rai
    Boat
    Thunderjet
    Any one got a good explanation of how to fish sinker rig when its all rigged up? Do you measure out to the called out depth and leave it there, or are your slowly letting out and following bait and estimate once you go through where they're at? Also, are you guys slowly reeling it back in once done with drift?

Upvote 0

909fishslayer

Almost A Member
    Sep 2, 2018
    Riverside
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    None
    Any one got a good explanation of how to fish sinker rig when its all rigged up? Do you measure out to the called out depth and leave it there, or are your slowly letting out and following bait and estimate once you go through where they're at? Also, are you guys slowly reeling it back in once done with drift?

I get most of my fish on this and put a lot of time in last 3 years doing it, even when most are fly lining. So always nose hook the bait and start with 6oz and adjust up or down depending on current placing sinker about 4’ above your bait. My go to technique is I thumb the spool to let bait drop at a controlled fall. If you let it out too slowly it takes forever. Too fast it tangles.

Lets say fish are holding 30 fathoms (180’). I will stop the bait at my hundred foot mark and let it sit. I get most bites between my 100-200’ marks. Each time I let it sit I do so for about 20-30 seconds. Then I let out 15-20’ of line at a time until I am about 50-75’ past the zone. Then If I am not bit I barely put it in gear so line picks up onto real and slowly wind up. If I get slammed itcwont pin me to rail so violently I will see my line peel and push it to strike. My bait is in water about 5 min from time I start at rear of boat and end up at bow.

good luck!

Upvote 0

Jankity

Apr 23, 2019
    Modesto, CA
    Name
    Gurjeet S. Rai
    Boat
    Thunderjet
    I get most of my fish on this and put a lot of time in last 3 years doing it, even when most are fly lining. So always nose hook the bait and start with 6oz and adjust up or down depending on current placing sinker about 4’ above your bait. My go to technique is I thumb the spool to let bait drop at a controlled fall. If you let it out too slowly it takes forever. Too fast it tangles.

Lets say fish are holding 30 fathoms (180’). I will stop the bait at my hundred foot mark and let it sit. I get most bites between my 100-200’ marks. Each time I let it sit I do so for about 20-30 seconds. Then I let out 15-20’ of line at a time until I am about 50-75’ past the zone. Then If I am not bit I barely put it in gear so line picks up onto real and slowly wind up. If I get slammed itcwont pin me to rail so violently I will see my line peel and push it to strike. My bait is in water about 5 min from time I start at rear of boat and end up at bow.

good luck!

Been seeing a lot of reports about the sinker rig this year. I've only been out when it was all about the jig or fly line.

Upvote 0