Live bait reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by mindbent, Sep 6, 2015.

1. princefredo

princefredo Member

Name:
    alfredo
    Boat:
    Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
    Never used the penn but I can say the metaloid is a great little reel and perfect for your #20 bait reel. Can also be bumped up to #30 easily and push #40. Casts a mile for a lever drag. If I didn't like my Avets so much I'd probably still have mine. I've seen them go for under $200 here on BD for the two speed.

2. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

The "black" color TRQ star drags were discontinued a year ago, and some real bargains could be found.
    I had forgotten about them, and would hesitate to recommend them if they are in fact all gone.
    There may indeed be a few 12's left to be found with a little Internet sleuthing, unfortunately the other sizes are pretty much all sold out.
    The current gold ones are $449 and well worth it; these are premium-grade reels and in another category from what has been discussed in this thread.

3. clintonstick

clintonstick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    g3
    I use ablack penn torque 40 star drag with 500 yards of 65 lb spectra and as much 20 lb topshot as reel can hold with a short fluoro leader to flyline 20 lb.If you get into bigger fish on 20lb no need to panic about getting spooled and reel has a great smooth drag .I paid 325 new on ebay.I know the reel is a little heavier but i like the set up,casts great and can long soak if needed.

4. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    Yes Steve, I forgot to mention that. There are good bargains, I have found plenty in the past, but im sure they will run out very soon (if they havent already).

And for me, 449$, is very fair considering the quality and capability of these reels. I personally would never pay that kind of money for a star drag reel, BUT if I were to ever pay that kind of money for a star drag, you better believe it would be the Penn Torques. Best reels on the market for sure.
    -Aren

5. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    If a Sealine is being considered, consider this. Find a used 30 for $50 and buy a frame from Socal fishing and hunting (google it) for $109. I did a 20 last year and it's a sweet little reel. I've been fishing 20 mono over 50 braid.

As for the others I have a 5IIn and love that reel and a Penn star 25n and love that one as well...just depends on what you want to spend.

6. mindbent

mindbent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    one that floats
    What does the upgrade do? I might be able to get a used Sealine in great shape for a good price.

7. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    Fathom 12. No need for a two speed for 20#.

8. spize909

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    Adds strength to the reel. No stretch, no flex. They already have capable drag and good free spool. This puts it in the class of the other machined aluminum reels......in my opinion at least.

9. gnawd87

gnawd87 ...

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    Cool idea, but for the same price you could get a brand new fathom star or daiwa bg with much more modern components and drag capabilities. (Carbon fiber drags, anti reverse bearings, etc..)

I would look hard at fathom 12 and daiwa saltist bg20 for that rod. Or if you wanna splurge the new saltiga 15 isn't far off your budget.

10. Bigfishhateme

Bigfishhateme Semper Fi

Name:
    Sigmund
    Boat:
    "The Sea Monster"
    ..Newell 220 or 229 send a chovy , small dine to flying school. No need for 2 speed. JMO

spize909 likes this.
  11. spize909

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    I paid $219 for my Fathom 25N.........I could do a Daiwa conversion for $175. I only threw it out there cuz he brought up the sl30.
    Personally, I probably wouldn't have done it if I didn't already have the old slosh to begin with. It's a sexy little beast now though....