booo

Almost A Member
May 21, 2009
Ventura COunty, CA
Name
Tim
Boat
none
What make, size, and model of hooks are you using for BFT with live bait (asking the guys that have been out recently), and what kind of bait did you have?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Last 2 days of 8 day trip, 30 lb, size 1 chrome Mustad 94151. Don't think we got more than 1/2 dozen on bait. I could have fished 25 lb but didn't want to hold up the captain's search.

Best on Flatfalls after sunset.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I am partial to the Ringed Charlie Brown circle hooks. A little more stealthy than the Super Mutus. No off-set so usually corner jaw hook sets. Very strong. I carry sizes 1 - 5/0 but the past 2 seasons all I seem to fish are the 2/0.

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    We used #6 round bend treble hooks for live chov's, or dead chov's threaded through a dead chov,with a bait needle, for California halibut.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Nice sized sardines, Owner 3/0 ringed Mutu's worked well.
    I 2nds those. Few times when surface Bluefin were finicky, I found out from a deckhand the Owner chrome ring spooked them. I switched to Eagle Claw black ringed Circle hooks and BINGO.
    Damn Bluefin LOL. I use Owner circles most of the time. FYI

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    I 2nds those. Few times when surface Bluefin were finicky, I found out from a deckhand the Owner chrome ring spooked them. I switched to Eagle Claw black ringed Circle hooks and BINGO.
    Damn Bluefin LOL. I use Owner circles most of the time. FYI
    Full disclaimer, it’s been awhile. I’ve never been a fan of circle hooks below 3-0, truthfully 4/0. When the bait or fish are small would always just use j hooks. The gap of a 2-0 circle is tiny. If a good fish shows up there’s high odds of not getting a good hook set or pulling. At lest that’s my experience.

But what do I know… For that matter we did pretty well without ringed single hooks too. Ultimately it’s all about presentation. Good bait, right place, and tackle that doesn’t restrict movement.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Full disclaimer, it’s been awhile. I’ve never been a fan of circle hooks below 3-0, truthfully 4/0. When the bait or fish are small would always just use j hooks. The gap of a 2-0 circle is tiny. If a good fish shows up there’s high odds of not getting a good hook set or pulling. At lest that’s my experience.

But what do I know… For that matter we did pretty well without ringed single hooks too. Ultimately it’s all about presentation. Good bait, right place, and tackle that doesn’t restrict movement.
    I too tend to roll with J hooks 2/0 on down for same reason. Having started Tuna fishing at 14/1960 all we ever had for years was J hooks. LOL

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    J hooks for sardine with picky tuna. Mustad needle point 2 to 1/0 ringed shoulder hook or butt hook the bait. I prefer shoulder for bluefin. I just find it much easier to get a bait pinned and on its way without damaging it with j hooks when fishing small baits, afterall the bait selection is the key. Sinker rig I like 2/0 3/0 j with sardine. I would say I get chewed off 10% of the time, but I find that acceptable as I get more bites this way. Just works for me

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    I too tend to roll with J hooks 2/0 on down for same reason. Having started Tuna fishing at 14/1960 all we ever had for years was J hooks. LOL
    Tunahead; The problem back in the 1960's was we didn't have the rods, reels, or hooks that have now. The 1960's was 60 years ago.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Tunahead; The problem back in the 1960's was we didn't have the rods, reels, or hooks that have now. The 1960's was 60 years ago.
    No kidding, I started tuna fishing age 14 in 1960. All we had were J hooks. Jigmaster 500, 7ft Roddy rod wrapped by then Leon who went on to start Calstar. Candy Bar Lures was down the street.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    The KEY to using Circle Hooks of any size is, let the fish come tight and take line, put in gear...DON"T swing like bass fishing. LOL LOL

Reactions: kbray001
    Jan 29, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    AJ Ayala
    Boat
    Kayak
    Mustad Ringed Demon or Owner Ringed Circle Mutu 2/0 or 3/0. I recommend buying straight from Owner or Mustad so you can guarantee you get the exact size/shape hooks your are looking for. Shipping can take up to two weeks but if you have the time its worth the wait.

Upvote 0