Little help

surferkook

Mar 20, 2012
ventura/ca/usa
Name
ryan
Boat
26 Blackman Outerbanks Pura Vida
i have a 26 ft Blackman outer banks, as I was crossing the channel the other day heard a pop and had Vietnam worthy black smoke, brought the rpm down and limped her in to the harbor... Engine is running fine when in neutral and throttles up fine, hooked it up to a hose out of water put in gear and revved up no problem. Found a small amount of braided line on my shaft at the propeller but not really thinking that caused it. Any ideas???

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
When you lose a turbo, your fuel/air mixture gets way out of whack because there is not enough oxygen to completely burn the amount of fuel being put into the cylinders. That means the unburned, atomized diesel gets shot out the exhaust. Sounds like that is your case.

People do it on trucks on purpose, it's called "Prius Repllent".

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
36’ Tiara Express
Not sure about the bang, but black smoke is too much fuel so either not enough air (turbo or other air restriction) or too much fuel (stuck injector or cracked nozzle on injector). If it's running smooth and not chunky at all it's probably air related. Does your engine have a blower on it like my detroits do? If so, I'd wonder about a sheared blower shaft. That would explain the sonic boom.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

J-Dog

Almost A Member
Nov 13, 2007
Valencia
Name
Jason
Boat
43' Bertram "PierFection"
Check the boost side of the turbo to the intake. Look for any hole in the tubing or any tube that has blown loose from the solid tubing. If you can't see anything obvious, run the motor while you check all over the tubing and see if you hear or feel air blowing out of some spot. It is very common to blow the rubber hose off the tubing (loose clamps and or oily residue in the hose). That would be the loud pop sound you heard. Then all of the +pressure from the turbo boost is lost out the hole. The lack of pressure will cause the same look as a blown turbo, heavy black unburned fuel. Could be a very easy fix by replacing the ruptured hose, or clean and degrease the hard tube and rubber hose and reclamp where slipped off. I have had this happen to several over the road diesels.
I'm betting 90% that was the pop before the black smoke and the resulting smoke under load. The fact that you have no smoke at idle and no noise makes me fairly confident your turbo is not blown.

Upvote 0

surferkook

Mar 20, 2012
ventura/ca/usa
Name
ryan
Boat
26 Blackman Outerbanks Pura Vida
So after going through the motor we found 2 problems 1 the gasket at the bottom of the aftercooler that goes around the drain plug had blown out causing air to flow out after the turbo causing a loss in pressure. Second was replacing the lift pump. All is working well now. Thank you all for the help!!

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0