aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
/600hp ls3 powered Airboat
OK here it is... for a while i have seen TV shows where they take vets and active duty service men out hunting. They always seem super stoked on it and happy as shit. I know a lot of you have places you could take a guy duck hunting. With me hunting in Mexico its hard to take anyone down but i paid up again for next year at falling feathers at the salton sea so i could commit to taking someone hunting this next season.

I know a lot of you guys have clubs and places to hunt. Even you refuge rats could take a guy hunting no problem. Most of us have plenty of gear and extra guns to shoot. So more or less a guy could show up and go hunting and have a good time.

Carl & Bryant would you open your club up for it? maybe we could pressure the other clubs to open up. I know some of you have access to pigs up north. Our little community is diverse and we have lots of place to hunt.

So what say you all! would any of you commit to doing something like this? Would anyone in the military like to help with setting up who gets to go? I am open to ideas how to make this work or if its even a good idea. Just trying to find a way to say thanks to the folks that put their ass on the line for us. PM me or post here and lets see if we can make this bird fly.

QuackN'Smack

Quack Addict
Feb 22, 2011
La Habra, Ca
Name
Brandon Mahan
Boat
Arctic Cat 500 4x4
For spring turkey currently, if you have a soldier interested, or a vet, I would be more than thankful to get them on some birds. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to pay their way, but I could provide a place for them to stay and could give them a good chance at some spring gobblers...

No guarantees, but very good chances. I know a few spots where multiple flocks congregate. I could do possibly 2-3 days of hunts if that would be something you are looking for. Now, with that said, all hunts would be fair Chase, under state and federal laws and on public lands, but I can say I know the areas and can "speak the language". Odds are for at least a good time and having birds work and definitely getting the adrenaline factor flowing for a big spring gobbler talking to us! And I have plenty of gear and guns. If intereated, we could set something up?

I'm also familiar with plenty of areas for deer with either archery or bow. I have an extra rifle and clothing, plus spare quad. And for ducks and geese, I am in the heartland of CA for that. Again, plenty of gear and clothes to provide to get our soldiers on the birds. As all my hunting goes, it will ne fair Chase and on public lands. But in advance, I can do extra research to plan and set up the best hunt possible. I can definitely work some hunts out to thank our service members, just pm me if anything comes up. I also had some ideas for raising money or donating to show out thanks for those members interested.

sdhunter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 24, 2007
Santee
Name
Mike
Boat
1652 G3 SC Camo
I think it's a great idea. I've seen a big group of wheel chair hunters down in the IV on the dove opener, it got me thinking along the same lines...

If I was to take somebody though, I'd want it to be a money shoot....that is, birds for sure. The places I hunt, money days are the rarity.

I would love to help in getting those guys out though.

proyotehunter

Aug 26, 2010
Palmdale/CA/USA
www.professionalcoyotehunter.webs.com
Name
Curtis
Boat
Guts and Glory
I guide free hunts for veterans nearly every weekend. Went out Saturday and spotted 1 but no play. Took another person out Sunday and I had a straight on shot at 100 yards but I missed since I was not on shooting sticks and it is very hard to shoot a bull barrel free handed.

Let me know who you have in mind to take out. Since I am a vet I am always willing to help out.

BigJack

Aug 20, 2008
Austin Tx
Name
jack
Boat
24' fiber form
I would be willing, if there is someone I could get involved with down here I would be happy to have a Wounded Warrior or a vet out either fishing, or hunting.

GRUNT0369

Jan 8, 2007
murrieta
Name
Jeff
Boat
SOLD
I am putting together the fishing trip for the Wounded Warrior guys right now, the hunting event sounds great. Last year a local hunting club took a bunch of guys out. That event went over very well. Let me know if you need any help, wounded warriors or vets that just got back from tours overseas.

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
Thanks for the interest guys. Keep it coming and I'll be touching base with you as things go along.

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
Sep 24, 2006
Vegas
Name
Drew
Boat
18' Coleman
I'm sure Bry would be down with it Bill. I'm a member of Falling Feathers now too. Be happy to help out anyway I can. I have a couple of extra 12 gauges lying around as well.

nmbrinkman

Mar 18, 2006
San Diego
Name
Nathan
Boat
12 oz frosty mug
I have a guy in mind if you're looking for veterans. He served with me in the Marines. Did two tours in Iraq and came down with brain cancer that started growing (unknowingly) in his last year of active duty (cancer free as of now). He hunts and fishes. Hunts in Wisconsin when he gets back there and does a little freshwater fishing in Orange County when he can. He can't do saltwater since his equilibrium is shot from surgery. Good guy.... I've been talking to him about trying our hand at picks up north. Just throwing that out there.

WACH ISS

Apr 30, 2007
san diego county
Name
cary
Boat
23' trophy, tranquilo
I think Bry would probably be all over this at falling feathers. I know the guy's that set up the wounded warrior phaesant hunt in I.V. last year so I might be able to put you in touch with them as far as who to contact. I know I would like to help out any way I can extra guns, camo, waders, whatever we need to get together for that. I always keep a few of everything. we should try to make a weekend out of it.

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
now we are talking :)

ok i do need the contact info for the "right" guy at the WWR to talk to. Website does not seem to have a info number just the main call line.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
I've been thinking about this as it's a great idea, but I wasn't sure how I could help. I had an idea today. If there is a local vet bowhunter who wants to get started hunting local deer, I'll take the guy up scouting a time or two preseason, help him find a likely spot and help hang a stand for him to hunt. Thinking back, finding good spots and learning what to look for was the hardest part for me. Once I figured that out, I started killing deer. Maybe I can help shorten the learning curve for a deserving military man. I know it's not much but I'd like to help and wasn't sure how to otherwise.

Last edited:

Dr. Fowl

I need a bigger dog!
Sep 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bryant
Boat
Fowl Play 1754 Grizzly 75 Merc Optimax
Hell yes I am down. Great idea. I will let the members know whats up.

I think right around turkeyday will be primo......

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
I think I have the right guy and number at wwr. He is out of the office till Monday.

GRUNT0369

Jan 8, 2007
murrieta
Name
Jeff
Boat
SOLD
Might be talking about the same guy, I will get a good name and number of the hunting club guy from WWR here on Pendleton, right now he is on leave, not sure when his leave is over.

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
Ok talked with Bob over at WWR and it looks like we are a GO for a wwr duck hunt this season. Sending some paperwork back shortly. We are going to shoot for 10 guys this year and see how things run.

Still have lots of logistics to work out. We will need help with guns and amo for the day of the event. I think I have a sponsor to pay for food and hunting lic. and if needed hunter Ed.

Any of you guys out there certified for hunter education and willing to help out?

Bill

Dr. Fowl

I need a bigger dog!
Sep 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bryant
Boat
Fowl Play 1754 Grizzly 75 Merc Optimax
I am willing to help out with everything from hunters safety to putting them in a blind. Great work Bill, we need to get together and pick a date when we can do this. Since the club is seldom full on Wednesday this would be the best day to suit everyone. Lets make this happen!