Almost A Member
Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
Hey all,
So my uncle who lives in central florida has put his Sea Ray 340SF up for sale. They dont go for much, and he would give me a good deal.

My question to you BDers is this... what do you know about the larger Sea Ray boats?

My wife and I have been window shopping for quite some time for a larger boat -- our intent is to be a truly workable hybrid between a nice cabin cruiser and a good fisher. For example, something like a larger model seaswirl would do the job... you get the deal -- family of 4 taking fishing vacations. Boat instead of motorhome.

1987 SeaRay 340 SF
She is 34 LOA,
11'11" beam
Twin inboard gas
Flybridge
Twin 350 crusader motors (stock) 240 HP each Approx 500 hours each
Not too worried bout motors since my uncle wrenched for offshore racing teams... loves motors etc.
Past 8 years in fresh. Unsure before that.
yadda yadda

Let me know your opinion!

Matt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
That is a big (heavy) boat to be running gas engines, but what you save on the cost of a diesel boat will more than offset increased fuel costs (gas costs more and you will burn more of it). The big problem will be range. Even a trip to SCI will be a challenge, I suspect.

Reactions: Reefmo
Upvote 0

Reefmo

Almost A Member
Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
That is a big (heavy) boat to be running gas engines, but what you save on the cost of a diesel boat will more than offset increased fuel costs (gas costs more and you will burn more of it). The big problem will be range. Even a trip to SCI will be a challenge, I suspect.

She has 204 gallon gas capacity. I am estimating 2mpg?

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
She has 204 gallon gas capacity. I am estimating 2mpg?
It will depend alot on speed, and my guess is that at cruising speed (18 - 20 knots?), you will be burning 40 gph, producing 200 hp per engine. If you slow way down to 3/4 of max displacement speed, you may see 1.5 (nautical) mpg, slower still and you may get to 2 mpg. But that boat's length at the water line is probably 30', so its max displacement speed is about 7.4 knots, and efficient displacement will be 5.5 knots. And if you want to troll at 8 knots, it is going to be very inefficient.
Obviously, I could be way wrong, but you should confirm fuel consumption at various speeds (and not in the harbor -- go a few miles offshore in our typical chop and worse).

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Also factor in the cost to get it out here. I have never had a boat shipped across the country but I would imagine it would cost quite a bit more to ship this boat than shipping a smaller boat like a Parker or something. The reason I say that is not only because of the weight but also the route planning and logistics of bridge clearances etc... a smaller boat a guy can just hook up his 3/4 or 1 ton pick up truck and away he goes.

Than again I could be completely wrong, never done it.

Upvote 0

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    IMO...old and under powered.
    Otherwise it could be a good opportunity to get the feel of a bigger boat at a good price. Have you ridden in this boat before?

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Almost A Member
    Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    IMO...old and under powered.
    Otherwise it could be a good opportunity to get the feel of a bigger boat at a good price. Have you ridden in this boat before?

Not yet. I'd fly out and spend a week with my uncle before purchase... but the price is the real deal.

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Almost A Member
    Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    Also factor in the cost to get it out here. I have never had a boat shipped across the country but I would imagine it would cost quite a bit more to ship this boat than shipping a smaller boat like a Parker or something. The reason I say that is not only because of the weight but also the route planning and logistics of bridge clearances etc... a smaller boat a guy can just hook up his 3/4 or 1 ton pick up truck and away he goes.

Than again I could be completely wrong, never done it.

Right now online estimates are anywhere from 4k to 7k -- which might easily be the deal killer.

Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
    West Coast
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    It floats
    Save yourself the shipping and maintenance costs and find something with diesels out here in that size. You’ll never wanna take it out when you can barely get to cat and back without needing fuel.

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Almost A Member
    Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    Save yourself the shipping and maintenance costs and find something with diesels out here in that size. You’ll never wanna take it out when you can barely get to cat and back without needing fuel.
    Good advice.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    And you certainly won't want to buy fuel at Cat. And I agree about it being under powered, but more power would just make the fuel problem worse. You can always go with a fuel bladder or two, and with diesel, that would be OK, but I question the safety of carrying gas that way (especially if you are heading offshore). The only way that boat works, IMO, is at very low speed. If you can get 1.5 nmpg at trolling speed, that will give you acceptable range for good local fishing appropriate for that boat. If you are content to stick near shore, a center console with outboards is probably a better way to go.

Reactions: fishboy93
    Upvote 0

sixty

Jul 12, 2005
    Vegas & Ensenada
    Name
    Corey
    Boat
    Hatteras 36 "El Dorado", Hatteras 60 "Reel Action"
    With 200 gallons, range will be very limited. My guess is you will be most efficient at 6kts and you would see about 1.5nmpg best case. Would be a great inshore boat but offshore will be very limited.

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Almost A Member
    Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    Thanks gang. I am gonna pass on this one. Much appreciated!!

Upvote 0

Kapdan

Kaptain
    Jul 25, 2004
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    34 Pursuit "Kap Dan Du"
    A friend had a 34' Sea Ray Sedan Bridge with twin 350 HP / 454's he kept in San Diego. If he went to Catalina, he had to stop in Dana Point for fuel. Both ways ...
    kapdan

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    maybe 1mpg at cruise if you're very, very lucky....... run forest, run!

Here is my calculation:
    An efficient gas engine can requires 1 gallon of gas for every 10 horsepower that are produced for an hour. At cruise, these 240 hp motors are probably putting out 200 hp each, 400 hp combined, for total fuel burn of 40 gallons per hour. In order for that rate of burn to equal 1 mile per gallon, the boat will have to be cruising at 40 (nautical?) miles per hour. Very, very unlikely, especially given the relatively low horsepower. I would guess 20 knots, best case (given the size of the boat, inboards, and relatively low horsepower). If it is burning 40 gph, and going 20 knots, it is getting 1/2 nmpg. That may be a little low (maybe the boat goes 25 knots and needs only 360 hp to do so, in which case the miles JUMPS up to 0.69 nmpg), but I would bet the actual efficiency is much closer to 1/2 nmpg than to 1. So like you say, very, very lucky.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
    Aug 23, 2004
    Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    Here is my calculation:
    An efficient gas engine can requires 1 gallon of gas for every 10 horsepower that are produced for an hour. At cruise, these 240 hp motors are probably putting out 200 hp each, 400 hp combined, for total fuel burn of 40 gallons per hour. In order for that rate of burn to equal 1 mile per gallon, the boat will have to be cruising at 40 (nautical?) miles per hour. Very, very unlikely, especially given the relatively low horsepower. I would guess 20 knots, best case (given the size of the boat, inboards, and relatively low horsepower). If it is burning 40 gph, and going 20 knots, it is getting 1/2 nmpg. That may be a little low (maybe the boat goes 25 knots and needs only 360 hp to do so, in which case the miles JUMPS up to 0.69 nmpg), but I would bet the actual efficiency is much closer to 1/2 nmpg than to 1. So like you say, very, very lucky.
    I was rounding up , lol.

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Almost A Member
    Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    Here is my calculation:
    Thanks for "showing the work" like in highschool. As an engineer, I really appreciate this.

Upvote 0