MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Hey guys!

I just got a new to me boat and it has a 150hp 2008 Yamaha V-Max 2-stroke. I’ve taken it out a few times and it’s having a little trouble running. It doesn’t want to idle or run at low rpms. But it will run with a little/lot throttle.

This week I replaced the fuel filter, the spark plugs, and drained all the gas out of the tank and put fresh gas in. Replaced some of the fuel lines too. Took it out this morning and it ran perfect for about 15 minutes. Sounded better and ran great. Once we found the area we were going to fish it refused to idle then eventually wouldn’t stay running. I took off the fuel line and drained the primer bulb which the check valve seemed to be stuck. Once I fixed the bulb I reinstalled it, it ran but it didn’t sound great. It started up and stayed running every time after that and on the hose when I got it out of the water.

Every time I tried to start the motor it fired right up but would die. I’m thinking about taking it somewhere to clean the carbs or just doing it myself. But other than that I’m kinda stumped. Anyone else had issues like these? Also what are some of the shops that you recommend in the San Diego area?

If you saw a white Skeeter bay boat floating throughout San Diego bay by the bait barge this morning that was me.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Sounds like your carb jets are plugged/gummed up.

#13 & 14

1581290391130.png

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Thanks guys. Wasn’t sure because it happened after the engine was warmed up. I’ll probably pull them off this week sometime

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    I read the first paragraph and my mind started screaming JETS JETS JETS

Like to know how it pans out.

And run her dry after each use. But you knew that.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I read the first paragraph and my mind started screaming JETS JETS JETS

Like to know how it pans out.

And run her dry after each use. But you knew that.

NORMALLY.. I would run it dry. It’s what I’ve always done. But it’s not a quick and requires some fiddling to get the fuel line disconnected. I guess I can stop being lazy and making excuses.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

• Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    It looks that way to me, never worked on one though. I found the schematics at:

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

• Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I’m gonna step out of the norm here and say check your secondary spark evaporator module. Could also be the hydrocelator valve.

I think Bob might be right on this one, because when the hydrocelator valve goes bad, the flux capacitor usually shorts out.

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    I use to have that same problem with my 2 stroke all the time even after I rebuilt the carbs. Someone suggested I start using soltron fuel additive. I figured what the heck, I have tried everything else. I started using soltron (startron from west marine is the exact same product) and that problem just went away. Boat was easier to start, idle was smooth and better top end.

I don’t sell the shit or have any affiliation with them, just saying it helped me a lot when I had 2 strokes years ago.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Time to buy a can of Seafoam fuel system cleaner. Google seafoam shock treatment and pick a day with a bit of wind :)

I was going to do that before the carbs come off. I saw a video where a guy put a bottle in a gallon of fuel and ran that mix through. I’ll probably try that

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Alright guys. I haven’t cleaned the carbs fully yet. But the bottom two cylinders are not firing. They have spark and compression. Plugs are wet and a little oily. Could it possibly be stuck floats in the carb flooding the cylinders?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Aliboy

Almost A Member
    Dec 27, 2017
    NZ
    Name
    David
    Boat
    44ft Sportfisher
    The fuel pumps leak into the crankcase and can flood the lower cylinders. Sometimes you get fuel starvation at higher throttle settings. Pumps are the rectangular boxes connected to the fuel lined bolted to the side of the block
    Bolts are 10mm from memory. Unbolt them one at a time from the block but keep it assembled and then squeeze the primer bulb to see if any fuel leaks out of the base of the pump. It is quite a common problem and an easy fix. New pumps are cheap or you can pug a kit in your ones if nerded

Upvote 0