Little bit of a Craigslist Nightmare... Asking for a little advice please.

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by boneshaker21, Sep 11, 2018.

1. boneshaker21

boneshaker21 Newbie

Name:
    Jared
    Boat:
    14 Ft. Smoker Craft / Kayak
    Hello everyone!

Im in a bit of a pickle here and any help or advice offered would be GREATLY appreciated.

Long story short... I traded my 1996 small Tracker for a 20 Ft Mako...

Turns out the boat IS NOT a Mako... Obviously I am very disappointed as I have always wanted a Mako to restore and use for many years for Hoopnetting/Fishing. The boat itself is everything that I could ever want size wise while still having ample seating for my wife and 2 kids plus maybe another person or 2.

After some research it turns out that this boat is actually a "Marlin" which was made up in Washington I believe...

A few questions if somebody with some knowledge that I lack is willing to help... Any info or help would be greatly appreciated as I am extremely bummed out and frustrated with all of this.

1.) Does anyone have any experience with Marlin's or know anything about them? The hull and everything seems solid but is it even comparable to a classic Mako Hull?

2.) Is this even worth it? I planned on spending a bout a year fixing it up while saving for a very reliable motor.

3.) Are there signs or anything to look for to see if this is a worthy boat? Alot of the electrical and whatnot does work its just wired a little weird on the panel. Like you flip the bilge switch and the lights come on. All simple fixes I believe.

4.) Is there anything else that I should be concerned about with this being a Marlin vs a Mako?

Thank you all! Any help or guidance is SERIOUSLY GREATLY APPRECIATED. I'm a little lost on this one now.

kindafishy likes this.
  2. boneshaker21

boneshaker21 Newbie

Name:
    Jared
    Boat:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Here are pics.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. dcarlisle

dcarlisle Captain

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    33' custom
    I don’t know the brand but if you like it, then go for it. First thing I would do if you plan to dump money into it is to pull up that soft patch on the deck and look at the fuel tank, Hull, stringers, deck, for rot and then determine if it’s worth it. Also make sure that transom isn’t rotted.

4. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    ^what he said^ You might have taken it in the shorts on this one.

I don't know anything of the brand, but almost all boats are subject to rot somewhere. If everything checks out, I'd start with a rewire.

Capt.C.Delany likes this.
  5. Capt.C.Delany

Capt.C.Delany Club a Sea Lion, not a Sandwich.

Name:
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat:
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    So did the guy put the Mako emblem on it or was it the manufacture was Marlin and the model was Mako?

6. mike mitchell

mike mitchell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat:
    20 Bertram
    What does the title say? the HIN numbers on the boat match the title? Did you look up the mfg. id on the USGC site? The Mako owners forum may have some info for you, good luck.

7. boneshaker21

boneshaker21 Newbie

Name:
    Jared
    Boat:
    Hello!

Thank you all for the responses so far!

I actually found out it wasn’t a mako through th classic mako forum.

The VHN is EKWRE120M83B

Yup apparantly whoever had it put mako decals on it. It sucks and is very frustrating.

However I am stuck with it now I guess.

I do actually like the layout and design of the boat. It’s wxactly what I would look for in a boat. I just wish I knew if it was worthwhile or not. The hull seems like a tank but who knows I’m new to the center Console/bigger boat thing.

8. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Often boat manufacturers will have other company make selected models for them, Skipjack and Wellcraft and a joint collaboration with Skipjack making boats with the Wellcraft logo.

9. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    Regardless of brand, if it's what you like in a boat, rip into it. You already got it, so make it yours.

Check the structure, fix it where it's needed, rewire it for sure. Probably has automotive copper wire too. Get rid of that, and do it right.

bman440440 likes this.
  10. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    what you need is a skipjack, 24 open....

Manbat likes this.
  11. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    So did the seller tell you to suck eggs?
    Did he represent it as a Mako?

bajabills and lynndeva like this.
  12. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    Project boats require lots of work and imagination. Mine took years to get where I could put a reliable rig into service. Family and the wife would say sure thing when I would mention my boat. I did it on a budget, did everything myself. I have some photos on my profile. It still has things to do but “it’ll float”

13. Thatsbait

Thatsbait Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Thatsbait
    Boat:
    22' Defiance "Interdictor"
    I had a Marlin a few years ago. But it was a walk around, with a 350 inboard/outboard. I loved that boat. Nice ride, nice layout. I have always wanted to find another one and convert to outboards. I believe they were made in Oregon, Coos Bay I believe.

Take yours Clean it up, rewire, put some canvas on that T-top, put a 175 Suzuki on the back, you are all set! My Marlin was a hell of a boat, wish I still had it!

boneshaker21 likes this.
  14. bajabills

bajabills I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    Me, I don't think it's a done deal.
    IF he sold you a mako. Then you bought a mako.
    If the pink slip says mako and in reality it's a different brand. Then you can contact him and request your boat back. Or get legal advice. You should have contact info on the guy. IF the bill of sale says mako as what is sold to you Such as "20ft mako" then you have a case. There seems to be some facts not openly discussed here.

This is my experience, If your unsure now- then you WILL be unsure later. Get a judgement, and get your boat back. Or the value of it. Put your effort into what you want. A classic mako.

sealskinner likes this.
  15. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    Check for damage before doing any work on it. If the hull is solid and fuel tanks aren't leaking proceed as planned.

16. boneshaker21

boneshaker21 Newbie

Name:
    Jared
    Boat:
    Hey everyone! Thank you all for the responses.

I have a buddy coming over Thursday that knows WAY more on this stuff then me to see if he thinks it’s worthwhile.

I did a lot of digging around tonight in the boat and a few things appear to be clear. The Hull seems like it’s in great condition, the few stringers that I can see seem completely solid, and the transom is REALLY solid.

One concern I have is changing out the fuel tank but I have heard that is practically a standard thing with older boats like this.
    Fingers crossed I can do something with it. The crazy part is that I really do love the design of the boat. It’s hard finding center consoles like this with this much seating for the family.

17. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    My first new boat was an 1987 18ft marlin center console. I abused that little boat, when you are 23 its fun to go fast all the time. It rode great and was a solid build but not nearly has heavy built as Sea Ox and Makos of that same time period.

18. farhangs

farhangs Member

Name:
    bent deck-hose
    Boat:
    Fresh One
    When I was doing my research way back I remember the later generation Cabo 216 cuddycons were made by Marlin. I think your hull has the same lines and open transom as the 216, just no cuddy. There should be lots of reviews and discussion on 1993 and later Cabo 216s, I think the main gripe was a lighter build.

Best of luck.

4F660CBA-CD3F-4604-8C8B-9F4DD0F96FFD.png

boneshaker21 likes this.
  19. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    All project boats are "nightmares"....right up until the until the day you sell it. :D

It looks like you have all the basics there...its just a bit weathered. no problem

open the deck, check the fuel tank, re-wire COMPLETELY, rig a drop-in panel at that notched transom, check the steering, check the trim tabs, drop on a motor and off you go.

As long as the deck is open...…. replace the tank anyway, put in a thru-hull & access plate for a bait tank, mount a thru-hull transducer, then button it back up.

Don't forget the trailer...…. is that painted galvanized? or steel?

HECK YEAH! What fun you'll have. There are lots of guys here who are more than willing to share their own ideas and projects with you.

boneshaker21 likes this.