vmj

MR. GRUMP
Nov 29, 2010
PASADENA
Name
V M J
Boat
98 SEASWIRL STIPER 26" MR. GRUMP
I HEAR A LOT OF BD'ERS SAY YHE WORD "FARMED" ON SOME OF THE FISHING REPORTS. WHAT EXACTLY DO THEY MEAN. ALSO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL "PLUNKERS" MEAN? THANKS, CAN WE ALSO ADD "PUDDLERS" TO THAT LIST. THANKS

Last edited:

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
Farmed is when you lose a fish or a fish gets off, usually but not restricted to user error. Fish takes your bait and you go to set the hook and miss it? You farmed it. Dodo is jumping and spits the hook? Yup, farmed. For plunkers the word is usually used to describe tuna(or other species) that are boiling on the surface. The lingo thing here gets crazy for offshore fishing because boiling tuna means fish going crazy out of the water and exploding everywhere, while plunker or puddling gets used to describe smaller amounts of activity with just a few ripples on the surface(also counts as boiling).

Rodless_Jim

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
My understanding of a "plunker" bite is when there are fish around the boat, and some are biting, but far from "wide open." A single bite every few minutes, like a pebble going "plunk" in a still pond. During plunker bites, there are typically only 1-3 anglers hooked up at any given time (though usually at least one), and bites are often farther away from the boat, which led to the coining of another term: "the long soak."

I really never heard anyone use the expression "puddling." I guess it describes the kind of small patch of "slick" water that sometimes appears on the surface when a school of tuna is just below. That would be on a day where there is some chop. The slick or "puddle" is a smooth patch of water that looks different from the surrounding water. There is also such a thing as a "breezer," which you see on day when the water has a smooth, glassy surface. Then, when a school of fish pushes a school of bait close to the surface, the water in that spot can look as if a breeze is blowing across the water, creating a disturbance, while the surrounding water is calm. I've seen "breezers" and I know how that term is applied. I've seen slicks too...but I've never heard them called "puddlers." That's just my best guess.

I also know the term to "farm" a fish, and I have farmed a great many in my long range career. But I have never been sure where that expression originated. I'd love to have some explain where it came from. My only guess is that when you farm a fish, you are basically sending it back out there to grow bigger. You have fed it (with your bait), but you haven't "harvested." Instead, you're "farming" the fish to let it grow up a bit more. But that is just my wild guess.

vmj

MR. GRUMP
Nov 29, 2010
PASADENA
Name
V M J
Boat
THANKS KEV AND JIM, YOUR EXPLANATIONS MAKE SENSE TO ME. ESPECIALLY THE FARMING ONE. MAKES SENSE THAT YOU FEED A FISH AND SET IT FREE IF ITS TOO SMALL FOR ANOTHER DAY. MUCH APPRECIATED! ALSO RAN INTO "WFO". STILL TRYING TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT!

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
wide f'in open. you'll know it when it happens

GoldChops

Fish fetchin' dog
May 8, 2014
San Pedro
Name
Chops
Boat
Yes
Farmed is ALWAYS user error. If it has been bastardized since the 80s well poop. It's when YOU lose the fish.

Reactions: Dudley613

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Being a farmer or farming fish means that you should consider going to Iowa and growing corn because your obviously not a fisherman.

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
THANKS KEV AND JIM, YOUR EXPLANATIONS MAKE SENSE TO ME. ESPECIALLY THE FARMING ONE. MAKES SENSE THAT YOU FEED A FISH AND SET IT FREE IF ITS TOO SMALL FOR ANOTHER DAY. MUCH APPRECIATED! ALSO RAN INTO "WFO". STILL TRYING TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT!
No problem, V. WFO is Wide Fucking Open, AKA get bit on a bare hook, put a cigarette but on a hook and get bit. Simply put the fish want to die and you're their grim reaper.

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
A "plunker bite" is when the fish are at least a little deep, requiring a lead sinker to reach. Named after the sound a good sized sinker makes entering the water.

What Rodless is describing is called a "pick" bite. When it becomes just one fish hooked up at a time with short breaks between, it's called a "slow pick".

Farmed is always angler error, usually by doing something boneheaded.

Rodless described puddling and breezer both absolutely correctly.

Royal Polaris's website has a glossary with more for you to enjoy.

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Farmed= you bought the farm, lost it
Plunker= as in cat fishing, throw it out and wait til you get a bite
Other fishing euphemisms:
That guy=idiot
Hook bait= just big enough to put a hook in
Pin hed= opposite of Hook bait or baby deckhand
Bit off = improper hook tying
Spit the hook= usually done swinging on circle hooks

Reactions: TAPOUT

finfan

Aug 2, 2005
San Diego
Name
STEVEN
Boat
32' Blackfin FB
puddlers are a school of fish that are slurping feed off the top of the water and barely breaking the surface, farmer is in reference to farmers who have no experience fishing and the various ways they mange to lose fish. If you lose fish you farmed a fish or you are fishing like a farmer.

vmj

MR. GRUMP
Nov 29, 2010
PASADENA
Name
V M J
Boat
GOT IT, I CAN TURN IN MY HOMEWORK NOW. GOOD LOOKING OUT FELLAS, SAFE FISHING!

big dog62

Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
Hmm, l always thought the term "farmed" referred to a farmer letting it go to seed. To reproduce or to grow bigger. Thanks, now l know how to loose fish, correctly.

Tifoso

Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.
Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
Being a farmer or farming fish means that you should consider going to Iowa and growing corn because your obviously not a fisherman.
There are no fish in Iowa?

:D

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
In Mexico, Framers are called Rancheros? At least that's what we call them when we fish down there. Even the Pangueros call farmers down there Rancheros.

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
Dude... Caps Lock.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Dug the vid's Grump! I have said so many of those! haha !

Oh and I have farmed a few. One time it was during a plunker bite. Then the fish started puddling and it was WFO! That was why it's called fishing! Because you cant get them all!

Tifoso

Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.
Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
I try not to let things bother me. I guess you could say that I am FAC.

/notkimkardasian

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
In Mexico, Framers are called Rancheros? At least that's what we call them when we fish down there. Even the Pangueros call farmers down there Rancheros.
Actually they are granjeros, but there's precious little difference.