Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    I got an invite to get on the water from a good friend that is a deckhand on a local charter boat and jumped on it. After I accepted I looked at the tides and found it was going to be really tough conditions, full moon & 1.5ft minus tides, the current was going to be ripping. The absolute worse conditions for staying vertical with SPJ, I was only getting one drop per underhand cast and the window of vertical jigging was excruciatingly short.

But thankfully the strong current really brought on the Lincod bite, I hooked up 7 times on Lings (2 keeper,3 shaker,2 popped off at the boat) rod was bent in a 'U' for most of the morning.

QJgpGNS.jpg

-Shimano Grappler rod
    -Accurate Valiant 300 reel
    -JM UFO & Williamson Kensaki were the jigs producing.

I must admit that after a couple hours of casting, jigging, & battle under those conditions I was worn out and had to revert to dropshotting some grubs on a standard rod to finish out my Rockfish limit which was a slow go. Maybe all the Lings had them a little skittish.

*For our East coast SPJ members*
    - Our reef is kind of upside down from yours, where your Snappers are the midsize predators and Groupers are the apex predator. Out West our midsize reef predators are Rockfish which are essentially small Groupers, and the Apex predator is the Lingcod. If you ever make the trip out here, lingcod should be an SPJ target high on your list.

393AQa2.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Chuck Roast

Jul 16, 2012
    LA CA USA
    Name
    Chuck Roast
    Boat
    20' Skip
    Nice fish & post. What depth and weight of jigs worked best in those conditions with a lot of current? Thanks

Reactions: Proteus
    Proteus
    Proteus
    Overkill. I was using 250-300g and we were fishing no more than 120ft, and even then it was a hard go. These currents remind me why I'm one of the few anglers up here concentrating on SPJ. Meeting the challenges makes us better, I'll be a better jigger for it.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0