PENN

jeblkfiveo2

Aug 2, 2015
San diego
Name
Jayson
Boat
Wellcraft 20 fisherman
Left Mission Bay at 0730, shot up towards La Jolla. Wanted to check a spot north of La Jolla.
I took a co worker that hasn’t had any luck fishing the half day boats. Got him on some nice reds! I got the two lings on double dropper loop with a red and white buck tail with a strip of squid, and lower hook with just squid. Felt a big tug and thought I was stuck on the bottom, then I felt a few head shakes and thought it was maybe a big hali. Got it to color and the bigger one was on the buck tail. Haven’t caught a ling in at least a decade! Most of the fish were caught on squid. Made it back to the bay by 1. What are some good ways to cook the lings? 🤙🏽
B08F4A99-D82A-49F6-A4F9-AB368B049E5E.jpeg
82B2004E-E82D-425F-AE5A-F0D37F6B22C1.jpeg
1C695E7A-C26E-42D4-9CA4-19FB11DAE7D7.jpeg

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
One of the best delicate white flesh fish out there. Batter fried, baked, sauteed', if bbq wrap in foil with butter and thin lemon slice salt and pepper or whatever spice (dill). Don't overcook. Set away from direct flame. Did you meter some hard bottom out there? What depth? I haven't caught a legal ling in a while either, I'm due too. Good job showing your friend how it's done!

jeblkfiveo2

Aug 2, 2015
San diego
Name
Jayson
Boat
Wellcraft 20 fisherman
One of the best delicate white flesh fish out there. Batter fried, baked, sauteed', if bbq wrap in foil with butter and thin lemon slice salt and pepper or whatever spice (dill). Don't overcook. Set away from direct flame. Did you meter some hard bottom out there? What depth? I haven't caught a legal ling in a while either, I'm due too. Good job showing your friend how it's done!
I like the idea of bbq wrapped with butter and lemon slices. I believe the bottom in that area is hard rock bottom, we were in 180 ft. Try using some sort of jig, I would use a 5” white curly tail or strip of squid. The jig I used was the Mustad 1/2 ounce buck tail. With 10 ounce sinker. 🤙🏽

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
Fillet the king skin off, cut into to equal size pieces, dry off and then salt and pepper then for a 30 minutes. Make a flour rub with your own personal favorite seasonings, make a egg wash with some healthy dosages of your favorite hot sauce, and a Panko/Tempura mixture that’s about 80/20 with some Italian seasonings, like red pepper flakes, oregano, some black pepper, basil and rosemary...

then dry off the meat, flour, egg wash, panko, fry at around 400 until golden and crispy and floating. Like a minute tops. Take em out, get the extra oil off, then on a cooling rack with some salt. Boom, fuckin fish nuggets that you’ll have a hard time not eating. Also a chipotle Mayo or that jalapeño Mayo from Trader Joe’s will make sure you never have a dry price of fish.

atun53

Almost A Member
Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
Season filet, wrap in prosciutto, cook till prosciutto is crispy. Had it McCormicks in Seattle once upon a time and very easy to recreate at home. Really good with a caprese salad.

Nice catch!

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
IMO lings are too soft to do anything other than fry. Sauteed, baked or grilled they just don't hold up to rockfish, but frying them is perfect because you get the crunchy outside with the soft inside texture contrast like a french fry.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    NICE LINGS Jayson....Solid Work.....For Lings/Reds I whip up 2 eggs in 1 bowl and Italian Bread Crumbs in a 2nd bowl. Cut the fish in to cubes/strips, dip in egg, then roll in bread crumbs and fry in shallow Canola Oil. Great for meals or Tacos too.! LOL Ready to EAT!

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
    Southern California
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    26'
    How... how r u cooking ur lings so they’re mushy? The ones I catch are firmer then reds.
    Not mushy, but their texture is decidedly softer than reds. It's texture is more like true cod whereas reds' is more like snapper. And I just mean that I wouldn't make lingcod my first choice to sautee, broil, bake or grill, not that it'd be bad if you did. They are perfect for fish sticks.

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
    May 8, 2008
    Dana Point CA
    Name
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat
    1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
    I like to watch the blue meat turn white when cooked. My second favorite eating fish to sculpin.