Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I don’t know if they’re what you’re referring to but I saw Dan Brink get a yellow every cast on an imitation squid jig at Alijos.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
no, but they work great for guys from jersey that fish for sheephead
If you're looking for a great yellowtail yoyo jig, the Jri 6 is hard to beat! Mint/pearl is my favorite. Blue/white and scrambled egg pattern works extremely well also. Most of those ling cod jigs that I've seen would be unbearable to grind fast enough to get bit. Salas 6x and 6xjr are proven killers too!

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
I have seen it work down in Baja
But it seemed to be a rare thing so I would not have much hope for it

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
I caught 2 yesterday on a Savage gear plastic squid lookalike thingamajig. Was seriously tired of catching fish on surface iron so was trying new stuff. They just wanted to die, so I can’t say the lure worked any better than anything else.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Anything will work when it's wide open.

For me, I'll stick to the tried and true bait/iron everytime.
Years ago I caught one on a banjo minnow my girlfriend gave me! It was absolutely wide open, so they will even eat a piece of carnival trash when there hungry.

muledeer07

Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Yes they work for Yellowtail but really I've only had them work a little farther north, up around SC or CI. I've tried them at Coronados on a good Yoyo bite and nothing. But caught a bluefin on one a month ago.

Reactions: Sacto John

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Dam. My computer or the operator is jacked up. Hi Bart. Hi Danny. We need to go to Squidco and help me buy a couple of jigs for yellowtail before the trip. This will be our 5th trip this year and I have of yet to catch a yellowtail on an artificial. Tex.

Last edited:

dinko

Jul 13, 2009
long beach, calif
Name
danny
Boat
excel
Dam. My computer or the operator is jacked up. Hi Bart. Hi Danny. We need to go to Squidco and help me buy a couple of jigs for yellowtail before the trip. This will be our 5th trip this year and I have of yet to catch a yellowtail on an artificial. Tex.
tex..i will be there at the ramada inn, bright and early friday morning.. we can run down to squidco and then to that mexican restaurant for your menudo

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
tex..i will be there at the ramada inn, bright and early friday morning.. we can run down to squidco and then to that mexican restaurant for your menudo
Uhhh. Riding with you. Well. Ok. I guess. I have it here in my logbook that on 9-23-17 on a Saturday afternoon you picked up me, Bart, and Mark. We were headed out to eat supper. We no more than left the Ramada when some dude cut us off. Bart was riding shotgun. He rolls down the window and shouts "you "$#$%*&%$ mother fucker". You hammered the gas and we went on. I'm already starting to get the shakes.
Menudo sounds good my friend. I do love it. I hope they put a pig foot in theirs. Good friends always. Tex.

dinko

Jul 13, 2009
long beach, calif
Name
danny
Boat
excel
Uhhh. Riding with you. Well. Ok. I guess. I have it here in my logbook that on 9-23-17 on a Saturday afternoon you picked up me, Bart, and Mark. We were headed out to eat supper. We no more than left the Ramada when some dude cut us off. Bart was riding shotgun. He rolls down the window and shouts "you "$#$%*&%$ mother fucker". You hammered the gas and we went on. I'm already starting to get the shakes.
Menudo sounds good my friend. I do love it. I hope they put a pig foot in theirs. Good friends always. Tex.
ah man.. a pigs foot and cow hoofs... its fantastic menudo and also pazole. man , only 2 months, 7 days, 22 hours and 58 minutes till we leave the dock on our annual 10 day , but who's counting ????

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
ah man.. a pigs foot and cow hoofs... its fantastic menudo and also pazole. man , only 2 months, 7 days, 22 hours and 58 minutes till we leave the dock on our annual 10 day , but who's counting ????
Dam this long range fishing. It's like drugs. After I retire, hopefully, I plan on doing 2 - 10 day trips maybe back to back, then a 16 day trip. 10 days a year is not enough. I made best friends for life on my first trip back in 2014.
Yes. Danny, Bart, Lou, Ric, Stan, John, Ed, Mike, Herman, Frank, (Gerry and Mike the 2 guys that brought a keg of Modelo on the trip)...I'm ready to see my buds.
Tex.