Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
400+ is really deep for a swimbait to get down there. Any bit of current is going to make it very tough. I would use a jig. Or like @dalurker said dropper loop with a mac.

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Heavy jig probably 24 oz to keep it straight up and down. Swim bait are more shallow water baits thus swim bait. Toss away hit bottom and swim back. Jigs more in the lift and drop back down method. If you want to use the swim bait plastics Like Derby said put a weight on the bottom a couple of long dropper loop and I use a long shaft heavy worm hook. I like the pink slime gulp 6 or 8 inch curly tails and the MC hammer in brown and orange. A small strip of squid goes a long way Cheers

Reactions: Sheephead Ed
Upvote 0

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
IMO, at that depth, your best bet would be either a live mackerel or heavy jax jig type lure. I got luck and got 11 Lings down in Mexico in a day on a 16 oz jax jig. Keep the jig real close to the bottom and slowly yoyo it off the bottom, slowing it's descent down by thumbing the spool. Hope this helps.

Scott

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
So then when dropper looping with grubs and swimbaits do you just go regular hook and no jig head?
yes the jig head can twist your line moving up and down unless you use a three way swivel. I use the largest curved worm hook i can fine it help to fish the gulps/swim baits weedless so the exposed hook does not grab the rocks below

Reactions: goldfinger81
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I use A 5/0 VMC, or A 7/0 Mustad Side wash hook,
long Shank
I'd go bigger then that.

9/0 and up. ROckfish are stupid.

Your a lead man. What size hook for a 16oz lead head?

I troll swimbaits in hoochies for halibut with no jig head. 9/0 in the swimbait with 3/0 treble. Bigger is always better on aggressive fish.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I'd go bigger then that.

9/0 and up. ROckfish are stupid.

Your a lead man. What size hook for a 16oz lead head?
I don’t do lead heads,
But the hooks I use work well,
Because if you use to big of a hook,
You will get a lot more short bites.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Lings don't short bite. That's why big ass plastic works.

If your going for anything that bites at 400' then 5/0 is perfect.

Reactions: KXKH
Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Looking for suggestions on catching Lingcod.....at 400 to 500 feet....Jigs or Lead Head with swimbait.....
    what do you use ?
    12oz leadhead, 7in pearl white scampi tail,, 16oz chrome hexbar, 6in white mogombo grub. IMG_20210507_103032526.jpg

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    I have a place in San Quintin for over 20 years. We knock the shit out of Ling Cod. If you want a big one get a chrome Diamond jig, about 12-16 oz and pin a live mackerel on one of the trebles. Use spectra and drop it down slowly so the mack doesn't come off. When you reach the bottom, you should feel the mack thumping on the line. Reel up 5 to 10 ft and keep the rod tip high, in gear. When you get the bite, drop the rod tip and when it comes tight, wind down and set the hook and start reeling fast as they will try to power back to the rocks. Lings definitely like to live in groups. When you finally get bit, mark the spot and keep going back over it until you get the one you want. They release very easily. This setup will generally get you nothing smaller than 9 lbs, most about 12-17. We have got fish to over 30 lbs down there on this rig. It is like a deep drop "hamburgesa" rig. They use the same technique for WSB down there, only useing about a 4-6 oz crockidile and slow troll with a mac on it in shallow water (15 to 90 ft). Pretty deadly down there july -sept

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I have a place in San Quintin for over 20 years. We knock the shit out of Ling Cod. If you want a big one get a chrome Diamond jig, about 12-16 oz and pin a live mackerel on one of the trebles. Use spectra and drop it down slowly so the mack doesn't come off. When you reach the bottom, you should feel the mack thumping on the line. Reel up 5 to 10 ft and keep the rod tip high, in gear. When you get the bite, drop the rod tip and when it comes tight, wind down and set the hook and start reeling fast as they will try to power back to the rocks. Lings definitely like to live in groups. When you finally get bit, mark the spot and keep going back over it until you get the one you want. They release very easily. This setup will generally get you nothing smaller than 9 lbs, most about 12-17. We have got fish to over 30 lbs down there on this rig. It is like a deep drop "hamburgesa" rig. They use the same technique for WSB down there, only useing about a 4-6 oz crockidile and slow troll with a mac on it in shallow water (15 to 90 ft). Pretty deadly down there july -sept
    Great info!

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    Pipe jigs or 16-20 ounce Crippled Herring.
    The big Crippled Herring have been discontinued for some time but the O-Bait Halibut Hammer is a direct copy and readily available. The wilder your jigging is, the better it works.
    A favorite trick is to jig it 10-12 times as soon as you hit bottom and give it about 10 fast cranks to about 30’ up off the bottom. As soon as you hit 10 cranks, immediately disengage the reel and let it fall 6-8’. They’ll smash it.
    Not many small lings with this method.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Pipe jigs or 16-20 ounce Crippled Herring.
    The big Crippled Herring have been discontinued for some time but the O-Bait Halibut Hammer is a direct copy and readily available. The wilder your jigging is, the better it works.
    A favorite trick is to jig it 10-12 times as soon as you hit bottom and give it about 10 fast cranks to about 30’ up off the bottom. As soon as you hit 10 cranks, immediately disengage the reel and let it fall 6-8’. They’ll smash it.
    Not many small lings with this method.
    Like tossing a leadhead and a big tail, hit the bottom and real up real fast.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
    Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    Like tossing a leadhead and a big tail, hit the bottom and real up real fast.
    Exactly. The key is the dropback, as the ling is chasing the escaping lure, it's suddenly falling towards him and he realizes he can catch it. Boom.
    Researchers up in BC have done a lot of research into ling behavior and have quite a bit of video of lingcod reacting to different objects underwater. The conclusion derived from their research, and illustrated in their underwater videos, was that the single greatest determining factor in causing a lingcod to bite vs ignoring a lure is erratic movement.
    Believe it or not, we've even caught them on plain old torpedo sinkers with hooks. Some days, it actually works better than plastics or jigs. Go figure. I'm normally a fanatic about trying to figure out why something works, but I'm still drawing a blank on this. Weird, I know, but dead fish are dead fish no matter how unsexy the lure used.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Under 250 straight spectra swimbaits bass gear.

Deeper. Jax jigs, diamond jigs, greenie single dropper loop with a treble hook in the nose. Is productive. Lingcod feed on big baits like a snake and choke up on the greenie to choke it out. Wind down slowly and get tight with rod tip low or let the fish pull the rod tip low. The ling will choke up like a python. Then pin the fish when the rod tip can not go any lower and is being pulled on.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Sanddads demand and command lingcod attention. On flat hard bottom with sand patches with Sanddads (fishing a Redfish nest drift). A ling 100 meters away in radical bottom. Will lurk out and key in on a sanddab over flat hard bottom. Seriously

Latest posts