Line Weight to Fish Weight?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Runway1, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Runway1

Runway1 Newbie

Name:
    Runway1
    Boat:
    None
    Agreed. I have 31 yrs in aerospace industry as a kinetic designer and systems engineer. Just trying to get a ballpark method to get my head around

SaintJeezy likes this.
  2. Runway1

Runway1 Newbie

Name:
    Runway1
    Boat:
    None
    Thank you! Lots of good insight here.

Boy, did I open a can of tuna. Hahaha. Just trying to get a process for judgment, but this sure works well for my understanding.

Thanks all!

3. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    second that

i will add 30% of breaking strength is also a pretty safe bet (if your knots are good) ... around obstacles maybe start out at 30 (or 40%) of your weakest knot's breaking strength (to try and keep the fish's head up) ... on deep water fishing the surface (like flylining sardines for big tuna fishing) may want to start out at 20% to let the fish get away from the boat (and other anglers' lines), then tighten down to bring it to gaff AFTER it's not so squirrely, so green to tangle itself up in everyone's lines as it goes around the boat a few times

moreover

i like to think of rigs ... a 20# rig, a 30lb rig, a 40# rig, 50lb, 60lb, 80lb (each rig will have a sweet spot mostly off the rod's line rating and action) ... here experience may be the best teacher, which rig to build off of and fish, i usually ask the deckhands (not so much the booking agent or store employee) what they've been biting, including hook size

on choosing a rig, i would first get a solid 20-pound rig that could also double-duty to 15lb - second rig would be a 30lb rig that can fish 25, third a 40lb rig that can fish 50lb in a pinch

how to set a drag

to set a drag at 9lbs (typical 30lb rig) for example - with a full spool - thread the line through the rod's eyes and attach it to a spring scale - pull with a bent rod under load like you're pulling on a fish - adjust the drag until the scale reads 9#

PS:

THE WEIGHT OF THE FISH has no direct correlation to line weight (IMHO) - you can catch a 100lb tuna on 20lb line (if you have enough line and some luck) - it's the drag and fisherman's skill that kill the fish - tho heavier line does it more efficiently

PPS:

ON A BOAT WITH 30-50 OTHER ANGLERS - OR SHARKS AND SEA LIONS TAKING FISH OFF YOUR LINE - fishing lite is not a good approach no matter how much of a sportsman we are

here's a drag chart calculator

DragCalculator2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    SaintJeezy, Runway1 and yakdout like this.
  4. Runway1

Runway1 Newbie

Name:
    Runway1
    Boat:
    None
    That's cool. Very helpful chart - thank you!

5. Caseymcv

Caseymcv Old man

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    In my dreams
    That’s deep!

6. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    on this thread Derby nailed a point of confusion for me
    i was trying to wrap my pea brain around how drag systems work
    REAL-WORLD Strike Drag Setting PRO EX 30/2

in other words

once the drag is set, the pressure on the drag washer doesn't change - it remains a constant (for basic practical discussion), though heat buildup in the drag system can and will affect a set drag pressure at the 'plate'...

however, as said earlier

the line build up - from full to empty spool - creates a lever that makes it easier or harder to move the spool

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  7. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Where's the fun or sport with that ? I could probably get a 2 lb. Bonito to bite 80 lb. but why would i ? I guess i'm just different.Way over thought.

8. CaliJeepHuntr

CaliJeepHuntr Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    Interesting thread reading all the posts. Some good info here.

Another thing to consider is the type of fish you are fighting. Salmon have soft mouths, so it's harder to just button the drag on them and horse them in. We fish them with 50 lb leaders on 90 lb wire and we have to play the drags when the fish wants to run.

9. michael e. bingham

michael e. bingham Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Pura Vida
    Boat:
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Everyone is different in their techniques in catching fish with line test paired with the rod and real , some anglers choose to be sporty and finesse there fish with lighter gear that other anglers wouldn't dream of using , some guys like to get it done using heavier line to crank them in , ( meat fishing ) then theres the days fish are line shy , guys I've fished with for the last 45 years all use light line usually nothing over 15 pound test unless we're throwing irons , last year we landed a 52 pound 4 ounce halibut on 12 pound test , a lot plays into what and when you use light line , heavy line and so forth , structure bottom, kelp , bigger tuna fishing with poppers , you'll figure it out , create your own style and learn the way all the old timers did , Time On The Water Teaches All

CaliJeepHuntr likes this.