Line to leader system?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Fincutter, Jun 15, 2019.

1. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    Different strokes, I like the fg and always have at least one back up ready to go.

2. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    And no one is denying its a great knot.

But, there are other methods used for that connection that dont include a knot.

And many people who fish really high drag pressures are knot using the fg knot thats all I am saying.

FishRock, ifish42na and potuna like this.
  3. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Jeff, after inserting the leader material into the hollow, he ties an overhand knot on the end of the spectra, instead of a serve or crimps. He uses mono with a short piece of fluorocarbon. Heavy fluorocarbon.

FishRock and Mike Nall like this.
  4. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    Steve I’m not understanding this?

5. Mike Nall

Mike Nall Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boomer
    Boat:
    Any one that floats.
    Every trip I go on, I’ve seen it work for Bobby for 7 years, it’s easy enough to do quickly for me, and it works.

Up 3 feet and an overhand knot.

Done.

6. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Got to remember that Pappy fishes mostly for large YFT ("cows") so he is generally using HEAVY leader... I've fished with him and he also uses BIG reels (50W) that hold lots of line and he has told me straight to my face that he doesn't fight big fish and pull on them real hard like some anglers do... in his own words he says that he "steers them to the boat". His connection is definitely not the strongest (IMO), but it WORKS for him... also have to remember that if you are fishing 130lb line (true ABS most likely higher) and your connection is only 50% strong that's a minimum of 65lbs... and no one reading this can pull 65lbs+ of drag using a bending fishing rod.

IMO, Bob's major reason for his success is he fishes A LOT... and no one puts more time in at the rail than he does, even at his elder age! He also is generally doing something different than the rest, and he likes to fish the balloon off the bow as it gets his bait further away from the boat and further from the other anglers fishing on the boat.;)

G

FishRock likes this.
  7. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    no one reading this can pull 65lbs+ of drag using a bending fishing rod.

BS. We've done it many times fighting PEI bluefin on standup gear. Measured afterwards on the Pesola 100lb scale.

8. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I used an overhand knot for a connection. Put an overhand knot in the hollow braid, slide the leader about 3’ up, work the loose overhand knot to the end of the leader and tighten it. Just keeps the leader from sliding back out of the braid until there’s enough pressure for the “finger trap” to hold it. Works fine, super fast to do. Ugly as shit and a big lump going thru the guides

Cubeye and shellback like this.
  9. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yes. I learned that method at Yo's Tackle many years ago. It was one of the first methods of connecting hollow to mono or fluoro.

If the main line was solid, then they inserted it into a short piece of Dacron and connected it to the solid via overhand knot, then inserted the mono into the Dacron and did the overhand knot.

As I recall, Matt Salas, (Salas Lures) was using this method a few years ago. I don't know what he is using now. But it worked very well for him.

shellback likes this.
  10. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    True,,, I go to 50# of drag sometimes on my ATD-80 and I am not a big guy.

What I believe is no one can break heavy line on a bent rod with the drag setting placed on the reel. Which brings Bob Mitchner’s overhand knot and the FG or any other connection you can think of into play. If the connection does not slip, it is more than good to land the fish. If the knot does not slip or the crimp does not slip it is more than good to land the fish. Your enemy is time with heavy line.

Squid Sammich likes this.
  11. Tim Turis

Tim Turis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tim Turis
    Boat:
    n/a
    "...and no one reading this can pull 65lbs+ of drag using a bending fishing rod."

On one of our trips to PEI, I hooked into an absolute devil fish from hell! But instead of it being a long skinny YFT on a LR boat weighing 175-225# (IMHO the toughest sized YFT), it was a long skinny BFT estimated at 950#.

By law, the BFT in the PEI catch/release fishery have to be fought/released for less than hour in order to minimize stress on the fish.

Using a stand up harness/pad, a custom Calstar X46XH rod, a Penn 80ST with 1:1 low gear, 200# spectra, and a 200# BHP wind on, I got the fish to the boat in just under an hour where it was successfully released to kick another angler's ass like it did mine! The last 20-25 minutes of the fight were at full drag and I was still having to hold the spool to avoid losing line! After the fight, we checked the drag with a scale and it was 80#s at full. Yes; 80 pounds.

There were five witnesses there; Basil Pappas, Jim Calisle, Ken Cirks, Captain Greg Norton, and Captain Spencer Norton.

We caught larger fish while we were there; Jim got one that Greg/Spencer estimated at 1200#. But I'm not sure that we ever caught one on any of our trips there that pulled any harder.

12. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    No rail either :)

DesotoBound, Steve K and Baja Rattler like this.
  13. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Yeah but the boat moves and the fish is in shallow water so it bottoms out (no place to go other than sideways and then the boat chases it)... most of the time guys fighting those large BFT have their outfit in a ROD HOLDER mounted to the boat and the boat is working the fish NOT the angler he/she is just cranking semi slack line when it becomes available... just like billfish fishing for granders where rod is in a holder but in that application its mounted to a swiveling chair that's mounted to the deck (boat's doing most of the work!).

Try pulling 65lbs of drag with a bent fishing rod on a moving cow YFT on a stationary LR boat that is 90+ feet long. And when I say "pulling" that doesn't mean you are in a sit down harness stance (braced) and the rod is fully bent and there is NO line coming back onto your reel... that's a leverage "tug of war" and you are not even going to be doing that for very long IMO on an LR boat fishing over a waist high rail... show me a video of an LR angler fishing on an LR boat that is using 65lbs of drag and is pulling up and winding down on a large moving tuna and gaining line on it for more than a minute or two at best... and he is a real BIG, strong, muscular, fit, athletic, advanced angler skills guy (my guess is not many of those to be found in the LR arena).

G

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  14. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    That last minutes of the fight... the fish was most likely done (may have been close to DEAD... reason for the 1 hour fighting rule) you were pulling on a worn out fish with boat rope terminal and 80lbs of drag (maybe?) on the reel, but fish are not DEAD weight... they float (seen lots of dead or totally spent fish "floating" on the surface in my 40+ years of sport fishing... some real big ones too!), so you were pulling (leveraging) on a tired, worn out floating fish. Boat was probably moving towards the fish as well.

Do you honestly think you can lift 950lbs of dead weight with a bent fishing rod on 80lbs of drag? I've seen pictures of you and you are not that big of a guy and I don't believe we have found the "fountain of youth" yet and you don't seem like a gym gorilla all jacked up on steroids either... so the math (science) just doesn't add up here with you "pulling" the fish close to the boat (for release) if you get my drift!

G

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  15. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    It is easier to lead a live fish to the boat than to lift a dead one. True... 2 speeds with heavy drag, harness (or rail) spectra and heavy line (fluorocarbon) make it much easier. A chair and a chasing boat and a single fisherman is not a luxury the long range boats have. Different...

I am most proud of a single speed 245# on 80#, no spectra, without a harness, and did not use the rail either but think what Tim did with that PEI tuna is incredible.

ifish42na, Squid Sammich and Steve K like this.
  16. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I'd like to see a video of Tim's extraordinary super human "pulling" strength while fighting that 950lb BFT with the huge 2-speed lever drag reel at 80lbs of drag... along with photos of the "super human" vitamins/supplements he apparently takes as well. ;)

G

17. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Tim, a real stud with that harness! Big fish, congratulations.
    Don’t see any point in trying to diminish the accomplishment.

wahoodad, ifish42na and Bill W like this.
  18. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Not to mention impugning Tim's honesty and integrity. Which is unparalleled and beyond reproach by any standard.

19. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Garry just because you're too much of a pussy to do it doesn't mean Tim is. If your arms and back were half as tough as your keyboard persona you'd be jackpoling supers over the rail unassisted.

20. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    What is your deal Garry? Tim Turis is the REAL DEAL, a great angler, loads of big fish experience, and willing to help anybody out fishing wise, or in times of need!
    I truly wish you would delete your shit talking about one of the nicest guys in long range.
    This is a humble man who would never talk about the nice things he does for absolute strangers.
    Try this one: Hurricane Katrina, he takes time off of work, loads up his truck with things he knows he'll need to help people out, and drives to the afflicted area, and gets people to safety, chops down trees that are threatening their lives, jumps in and helps local firefighters.
    Sorry man, you picked on the wrong guy. No shit talking about this guy, not on my shift!